Family Military Photos

ugly

LE
Small world again.
My Uncle Geoff went from Dorsets to RWAFF on the Gold Coast. I have a couple of albums of quite good quality photos of training his men, their family life.
Similar album from 1956 to 1958, sadly lost when a hurricane destroyed his house in the Caribbean. He was a good photographer and had loads of cine film too.

Similar album from 1956 to 1958, sadly lost when a hurricane destroyed his house in the Caribbean. He was a good photographer and had loads of cine film too.
These albums were from a bit earlier, 1943 I think. He trained up a battalion, boarded a ship bound for Burma but had contracted Blackwater fever. Died at sea and was buried in Durban Commonwealth War Grave.

Can anyone help me, I have an unknown Sapper image in my family images below, trying to suss out era and job function, he has a swagger stick and spurs, but no rank insignia I can see.
Unknown Sapper.jpg

Given that most kit was horse drawn, he could be anything. Bridging unit, mounted liney?

Can anyone help me, I have an unknown Sapper image in my family images below, trying to suss out era and job function, he has a swagger stick and spurs, but no rank insignia I can see. View attachment 335599
Possibly pre-WWI TF camp, given the chap in the tent who seems to dressed in civilian clothes: that, or one of the many tented training camps set up after the immediate declaration of war.

As mentioned, the spurs would suggest that he's a RE Driver, a period RE rank.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am scanning up hundreds of old family photos, hoever I found an envelope and am trying to re unite the pictures within it to the family concerned, can any one tell me about this image, on the back it says to mum and dad love reggie
but nothing more
I know its related to the Denne Family who came from Battersea, he is not on the CWWGC site so I presume he survived
IMG_20180604_0002.jpg
IMG_20180604_0003.jpg

I am scanning up hundreds of old family photos, hoever I found an envelope and am trying to re unite the pictures within it to the family concerned, can any one tell me about this image, on the back it says to mum and dad love reggie
but nothing more
I know its related to the Denne Family who came from Battersea, he is not on the CWWGC site so I presume he survived
View attachment 337117 View attachment 337118
Looks like a RPC cap badge to me
Norman Brown over at the RPC Association and Facebook page looks after the day to day enquiries like this. He will track his name down if you ask

Josh, I think your chap on the photo is wearing a Royal Artillery lanyard, I don't think any other unit had white
Found this old thread and it appears the Devon & Dorsets wore it as did the Queens Lancs. I had a look at the Imperial War Museum and the picture they had was of a Royal Artillery battle dress with one on.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/white-lanyard-infantry-signal-platoon-why.217432/

However having looking at the photo posted by Josh that doesn't look like a RA cap badge, its not that high -my take.

My Great Granddad and his brothers:

kingletter2.jpg

The eighth son joined when he was old enough and served in WW1 too.

_181102_084137_172.jpg

All eight survived, although a few were injured. Most of them served with the KOYLI (the RM Bandsman was my Great Great Uncle Thomas who had served in S Africa with the KOYLI but re-enlisted as a RMLI Musician on outbreak of WW1). My Great Granddad Albert is on the rear row far right, slightly stooping was part of 12 KOYLI, the Miners and Pioneers Battalion who were responsible for the quick digging of trenches and saps or destroying the trenches or saps as required during battle - an interesting Battalion - 12 KOYLI

He was at the far left of the British advance on 1st July 1916, adjacent to the Newfoundland Regiment and directly supporting 94X as part of 31XX attack on Serre, which is a very well documented attack where 4 out of 5 of the men in the leading platoons were killed. I doubt he felt very lucky but undoubtedly he was. I visited the area this summer:

Serre.JPG

This was halfway between 94X Start Line and the German Lines at Serre (they're about 400m to the right of this photo) on 1st July 2018.

Two of his brothers were also present at the Somme, Arthur at Thiepval with the 1/5 KOYLI and Harry who was a Royal Engineer who was (apparently) awarded the MM (I can't find any reference to it in the Gazette) for work/actions near Martinpuich and the Lochnagar Crater.

I would have loved to have met them all, sadly they all died before I was born and my Granddad (who served and was wounded at El Alamein and in the Green Howards) sadly died when I was only 8. Imagine the stories they would have had between them.

Josh, I think your chap on the photo is wearing a Royal Artillery lanyard, I don't think any other unit had white
Actually a lot of units that had a mounted history wore one.
My father was conscripted into 1st Fd Sqn RE and, although never mounted, there's a 1945 photo with Sqn members wearing a white lanyard.

The capbadge in the photo dosn't look particularly RA.

@verticalgyro

Great stuff. Not enough 'Likes' to be had. Incidentally, the Gentleman standing second left, looks to be wearing the 1914 Star Ribbon. The Gentleman (Lance Corporal) standing 4th left, is wearing three Good Conduct Chevrons (indicating 12 years service) and two wound stripes.

Just to add. Your relative sitting far right, looks to be wearing the Silver War Badge on his lapel (indicating discharge from service due to wounds/illness).

Last edited:
@verticalgyro

Great stuff. Not enough 'Likes' to be had. Incidentaly, the Gentleman standing second left, looks to be wearing the 1914 Star Ribbon. The Gentleman (Lance Corporal) standing 4th left, is wearing three Good Conduct Chevrons (indicating 12 years service) and two wound stripes.
The 2nd left will be John who was 2 East Lancs and the LCpl will be Alfred then, who was 2 KOYLI from 1906-1930 - the handwritten notes say he was awarded 1914 Star, Gen Service and Victory Medals and Good Conduct Medal.

I'm assuming that the photo was taken post WW1 after most had been discharged? Thomas the RMLI Musician was 1 KOYLI August 1896 - August 1908 and then RMLI August 1908 to Jan 1921, although it was 2 KOYLI that fought in the Boer War so he must have swapped Battalions at some point. I wonder why he isn't wearing any Medal ribbons?

Last edited:
The 2nd left will be John who was 2 East Lancs and the LCpl will be Alfred then, who was 2 KOYLI from 1906-1930 - the handwritten notes say he was awarded 1914 Star, Gen Service and Victory Medals and Good Conduct Medal.

I'm assuming that the photo was taken post WW1 after most had been discharged? Thomas (the eldest brother) and RMLI Musician was 1 KOYLI August 1896 - August 1908 and then RMLI August 1908 to Jan 1921, although it was 2 KOYLI that fought in the Boer War so he must have swapped Battalions at some point. I wonder why he isn't wearing any Medal ribbons?
Can't find a 'Harold Thomas RE' for a WWI MM, chap-then again, was 'Harry' his given first name?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My Great Granddad and his brothers:

View attachment 359995

The eighth son joined when he was old enough and served in WW1 too.

View attachment 359996

All eight survived, although a few were injured. Most of them served with the KOYLI (the RM Bandsman was my Great Great Uncle Thomas who had served in S Africa with the KOYLI but re-enlisted as a RMLI Musician on outbreak of WW1). My Great Granddad Albert is on the rear row far right, slightly stooping was part of 12 KOYLI, the Miners and Pioneers Battalion who were responsible for the quick digging of trenches and saps or destroying the trenches or saps as required during battle - an interesting Battalion - 12 KOYLI

He was at the far left of the British advance on 1st July 1916, adjacent to the Newfoundland Regiment and directly supporting 94X as part of 31XX attack on Serre, which is a very well documented attack where 4 out of 5 of the men in the leading platoons were killed. I doubt he felt very lucky but undoubtedly he was. I visited the area this summer:

View attachment 359999

This was halfway between 94X Start Line and the German Lines at Serre (they're about 400m to the right of this photo) on 1st July 2018.

Two of his brothers were also present at the Somme, Arthur at Thiepval with the 1/5 KOYLI and Harry who was a Royal Engineer who was (apparently) awarded the MM (I can't find any reference to it in the Gazette) for work/actions near Martinpuich and the Lochnagar Crater.

I would have loved to have met them all, sadly they all died before I was born and my Granddad (who served and was wounded at El Alamein and in the Green Howards) sadly died when I was only 8. Imagine the stories they would have had between them.
What a fine pedigree, and something to be proud of. that generation must have seen their whole world implode and their future change out of all recognition, and yet they triumphed

Can't find a 'Harold Thomas RE' for a WWI MM, chap-then again, was 'Harry' his given first name?
Wrong surname, in a thin veil of the last of my persec I blanked it out. Its Harry Thorpe, and the only Harry/Harold i can find is an Aussie Aboriginal soldier.
_181102_083531_405.jpg
He was Cameronian Rifles before transferring to the Sappers, but these are all handwritten notes from my grandmother who would've written them down ten years after my Granddad, Albert Junior, had died. It says MM* which I assumed was Military Medal.

Last edited: