Family issue

Ill try and be brief.
I have a younger brother who's been in the army for 14 years. He has just left and staying at our mum's house.
But 6 months ago we had an argument over FB and he blocked and deleted me on everything.

Hearing from my mum he hates my guts and has told her he wishes me dead.
Since moving back he has just been on his Xbox till 5 in the morning getting up at 2 aftenoon and back on the Xbox. He's just eating Sweet's crisps and fizzy drinks even found a bottle of piss.
We can't understand what he's saying and can't take jokes, never smiles and just storms off like a child when you bring him up on it.

He's causing my mum a lot of stress and she can't understand why he's like this. I've said it's sounds like he's got Asperger's and she is saying it's PTSD which I think it's certainly not.
He certainly needs to seek help which he refuses as its everyone else that has a problem. He's 33 btw.

Any help advice much appreciated.

Ill try and be brief.
I have a younger brother who's been in the army for 14 years. He has just left and staying at our mum's house.
But 6 months ago we had an argument over FB and he blocked and deleted me on everything.

Since moving back he has just been on his Xbox till 5 in the morning getting up at 2 aftenoon and back on the Xbox. He's just eating Sweet's crisps and fizzy drinks even found a bottle of piss.
We can't understand what he's saying and can't take jokes, never smiles and just storms off like a child when you bring him up on it.

He's causing my mum a lot of stress and she can't understand why he's like this. I've said it's sounds like he's got Asperger's and she is saying it's PTSD which I think it's certainly not.
He certainly needs to seek help which he refuses as its everyone else that has a problem. He's 33 btw.

I contracted PTSD just from reading that post.

Ill try and be brief.

Apart from the ‘been in the army 14yrs’ bit...
Sounds pretty much like most here!

Those are not Asperger's symptoms.

MTALead

Swinger
I went through a bit of a rough patch when I was younger and stormed off, low motivation to take care of myself etc. however I was pretty upset due to relationship issues, maybe he's jealous of some aspect of you? Just food for thought. Take it easy.

Ill try and be brief.

You will not get any sensible replies here.
Except this one...

Ill try and be brief.

When you say you "can't understand what he is saying" what do you mean? I assume it is not literal but to do with what he is talking about but its not clear from what you have written.

Ill try and be brief.

;Just left' - how long ago. If it is very recent I would have thought that any sign of PTSD would have been picked up in a pre-discharge medical review. I would have thought it unlikely to have 'left' intact to all intents, and then had a sudden onset of PTSD soon afterwards - though the symptoms you described would seem to fit that diagnosis.
Was he/did he have behavioral issues in the past? You would do well to try to find someone he will respect sufficiently to have a word with him. 14 years - why leave now?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sounds like your mum needs to grip him. He needs to be paying rent/food and doing his own laundry etc, which will require him to get off his arse and get a job. Once he's behaving like a useful member of society, you'll be in a better position to sort out your differences.

;Just left' - how long ago. If it is very recent I would have thought that any sign of PTSD would have been picked up in a pre-discharge medical review. I would have thought it unlikely to have 'left' intact to all intents, and then had a sudden onset of PTSD soon afterwards - though the symptoms you described would seem to fit that diagnosis.
Was he/did he have behavioral issues in the past? You would do well to try to find someone he will respect sufficiently to have a word with him. 14 years - why leave now?

PTSD can appear years later, so it’s possible he wasn’t showing signs on discharge and it’s only just started showing. Or potentially he has readjustment disorder caused by leaving.

PTSD can appear years later, so it’s possible he wasn’t showing signs on discharge and it’s only just started showing. Or potentially he has readjustment disorder caused by leaving.
Absolutely, that was my point in relation to the 'recently left' factor. ETA my own experience began just under a year after coming home. In no way did I link it to my service experience. How could it be? I'd been there, bought the tee shirt...and given it back......and quite apart,from all that, my symptoms were physical. During an 'attack' I couldnt breath or swallow, had enormous palpitations, chest pain and an utter feeling of impending dread. Social withdrawal was an easy option and the meds - libraxin, diazapham, hemineveran (delightful stuff) and of course, the fags. (fortunately I had never been a boozer). It began in '81 and I eventually decided to stop all the meds and the fags one day in '95 when after reading an article in 'mens health about smoking' and throwing up after eating kippers (Heminevarin is bad going down, but it is pure evil coming back up).
I kept the diazaphams in my pocket, unused, until I felt confident enough in 2000 to chuck them in the bin. Owe a lot to an elderly psychiatrist who, after two years of dealing with lesser beings, was able to explain to me what was happening and reassure me that it wouldn't kill me and would, one day, get better. He was spot on, It didn't and it did - but it takes someone to help and that requires a personal recognition that there is a problem...........and that takes time.

Last edited:
He could have PTSD as its not always caused by war, something traumatic in life can trigger it.
If he wants help the GP, British Legion, Combat Stress or The Samaritans will all try to help him.

But he needs to want help in the first place.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Maybe he's just sh*****g himself about being on civvy street and is hiding indoors to avoid having to confront it. I imagine 14 years in a highly structured and organised environment followed by the relative chaos and isolation of civilian life can be daunting for some to start with. Sounds a bit extreme but there are obviously head issues going on and if they didn't manifest while in the army then I'd think the change would have had something to do with it.

Latest Threads