Family history - Khedives Medal?

I have seen a photo of a family member (on my wife's side of the family) of an old gent with full set of whiskers taken possibly around 1910 wearing a medal identified as the Khedive's Medal (Egypt). I can't upload the photo, as it's elsewhere, but I was wondering whether the combined braintrust of ARRSE could tell me a little more about the conditions for earning the medal. He was possibly in the Royal Navy / Royal Marines, but more likely was in the Army.

Would there be a listing of all personnel issued with this campaign medal? And where would I be able to get further info?

Many thanks,

Themanwho.

Tangosix,

Many thanks, but that's the wrong one, due to my stupidity! It's actually the Khedive's Star I'm referring to, not medal. I'll have a dig through the linky though, cheers!

That medal was issued by the Kedive after the Sudan war, but the Kedive war was in 1882 against the Kedive and quit a few people foughtb in both more info required

The 1882 was a star 1898 was a medal

Cheers Tango, that's the one. I'll see if I can get hold of the pic to upload. He's wearing another gong which might well be an Egypt Medal, but I couldn't make out the detail.

I have my Great Granfather's medals, and he has the same pair shown in T6's first link ... Egypt Medal 1882 [with Tel-El-Kebir" bar] and Khedive's Star. They seem to come as an automatic pair.

The Khedive's Star is monster heavy ... the one here has a small hook soldered on the back, presumably used to hook onto something to stop the think clakning around too much.

Unfortunately, I think the medals are long gone - all that's left is the photo. I've been asked by the in-laws to find out which service he was in - any pointers?

All I have to go on is a name and a recollection that he was a soldier (I took that to mean Army, RM or RN Gunners).

Themanwho said:
Unfortunately, I think the medals are long gone - all that's left is the photo. I've been asked by the in-laws to find out which service he was in - any pointers?

All I have to go on is a name and a recollection that he was a soldier (I took that to mean Army, RM or RN Gunners).
A VERY large number participated [and thus qualified] in the relevant campaigns. As you can see from T6's links, that included HM Ships providing gunfire support and transporting men/equipment.

All you could do is try the various Single-Service records offices, or the National Archive LINK HERE.

Could be a LONG grinding search!

Cheers Blue, I'll post when I know more. Thanks for the input, all.