Family funeral and uniform?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by dangerousdave, Feb 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could anyone tell me if TA soldiers are allowed to wear uniform at a family funeral please? and if they are, who would they need to speak to in order to get kitted out with it? thanks :)
  2. msr

msr LE

Yes if you have it. I very much doubt it will be issued if you don't have it.

3. Did the family member serve? It is a military funeral?

If the answer is no then I would think no is the answer.
  4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I was asked to wear No.2's for a family funeral, but as it was civvy I declined. My Grandad was REME in Korea, and when he goes I will probably be asked again. But I don't think its the done thing for a civvy setup to be honest.
  5. I drew a set of No.2s for a D of E Gold award presentation. CQMS pulled his face about it but the invitation did say" uniform or lounge suit" and I was serving after all even if it was just SWAT.

Just ask. If the family have asked you to attend in uniform it's reasonable to ask your unit for the loan of a set.
  6. No worries. I was only considering it, as my Grandpa served in Burma with the Chindits and thought it'd show respect to him.
  7. msr

msr LE

there's only one way to find out...
  8. Care to elaborate :?
  9. msr

msr LE

Ask (QM via PSI) ;)
  10. Tell your CSM or whoever in your CoC is approachable. Considering your grandfather's service it's quite reasonable I would say.

You could buy or hire a set. Even new it's only a few weekends at TA to cover it.
  11. It's your familly funeral. You decide if you want to wear uniform........who's to stop you??

If you do, then find out how to beg/borrow/steal a set.
  12. Im a TA Officer, my Dad died last Aug, he was ex-forces. Just asked the CO of my unit and borrowed the kit from a friend. Mum was chuffed and I think the old man would have appreciated it.
  13. Could be a bit cheesy though. How about suit and Regt tie instead?
  14. I wore my Raf no1 uniform for my Great Uncles funeral, he'd been in the RA in WW2 and his story's were one of the reasons I joined up. ISTR I had to get my bosses permission, I think it shows respect if the deceased was serving at any point of their life.
  15. well asking my CO did work...for a my own wedding and for a family funeral...just dont think asking the QM direct was a great idea...than again maybe my old QM was not a cuddly as most :)