Family car with some welly?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Croque_Monsieur, Jul 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm contemplating letting go of my beloved panzer (XC90 V8) for a dull boring sensible family car to save some cash. It needs to be big enough to fit all the shit that comes with having 2 kids and since we live in the moutains of Switzerland we need to deal with snow, ice, steep climbs and narrow winding roads so I still need something which also has a good bit of power and control.

I communte with the train/bike so have been generally been uninterested in cars for the past few years. Anyone got any good suggestions?

2. Audi A6 3.0 Tdi Quattro estate? Or even the 2.0 170BHP Skoda Superb 4x4 estate.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you like your current car so much, but need to save some wedge, why don't you just get another one but with less of a ****'s engine in?

4. Impreza Estate. 4x4, goes like stink, couple of hundred horses in it, plenty of space in the boot for the sprogs.

Audi Allroad gets good write ups too.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I've similar needs but for sports gear not brats.
    Audi A4 estates work for me better than anything else for those roads/conditions space requirements. On my 3rd one and have well over half a million km's in them without probs.
    You'll appreciate the handling benefits of a lower c of g - driving XC90's is like dancing with a fat girl, suddenly movements on dodgy surfaces are hard to recover from!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'd expect that in practice you'll lose money in the change-over anyway (take-it-of-leave-it resale/trade-in value, re-financing costs etc etc). So much so that the most economical option might just be to stick with the one you've got.

Same goes for wives, by the way.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the suggestions so far. The impreza is interesting, there is above average number of Subarus in the mountain roads here, mostly knackered looking Forresters with just seem to keep going.

Olrence: You may be right but it helps to see what the options are.
    Alsacien: Not had any problems with it the last 2 winters with a good set of tyres, mind you our little Panda 4x4 didn't either....

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have to drive a mates one now and then, its a handling turd if you've just stepped out of an Audi quattro.
    My second choice would be a Subaru.
    I have a Landcruiser for offroad, that's a handling turd too when the road surface is wet/icey.

9. Banker

Banker On ROPs

• Like Like x 1
  10. We've had a Forester over in OR since 2001. Got 168,000 on it now. Forest green Scoobies fill all the parking lots there, so we've customised ours by putting a small Welsh flag sticker on it somewhere.

I'll find it in a minute.......

Totally reliable, BTW - the downside is having to buy all four tyres at the one time. Luckily for us, Les Schwab does great deals on multi-buys.

MUCH cheaper to run than any Audi Quattro, at least, in the USA and Canada. Like about a third of the cost for parts. You should be OK, though, living right next door to Germany for bits and pieces.

If I lived in the Confederation......just make mine an RS6......in blue.

tac

11. bugger. i was considering getting an xc90 as a family car with a bit of welly. don't like the less expensive qualification either!

12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Seriously I wasn't joking before, if you like your XC90 so much why don't you just get a diesel one?

Personally I think you're a ******* mental for buying a V8 one in the first place, but whatever.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You might get one cheap, my mate has been trying to get a decent trade-in price for his without joy (even from Volvo), the arse appears to have fallen out of the market for them at the moment. Everyone's buying Tiguan's and Q3's it seems.

14. Simples, Subaru Legacy, or if you want more ground clearance, a Subaru Outback.

I have the Outback, live at the bottom of some mountains and have to drive in uncleared road conditions regularly (hence the higher Outback).

Bigger boot than a Volvo, more economical (especially if you have a Boxer engine although 36-38mpg from my 2.5 petrol is bloody good for an AWD vehicle) and can swallow 5 adults with room to spare.

Get an SE version and you get full leather and heated seats as standard.

Again, a great many of the farmers around here use them, which says a lot really. A Scottish farmer does not part with his money easily and they tend to invest i9n things that will last.

Mine had 100,000 on the clock and is 6 years old and so far has only cost me services, pads/tyres and just recently a set of brake discs, which set me back £56 of EBC. The Audi you are looking at £200+.

Only thing to watch for is the exhaust. It is stainless steel, so lasts 100, 000 miles+, but when it does go, they are expensive for a complete system.

15. CM - I'm assuming that you didn't buy one of the self-combusting XC-90's? The yseem to have had a remarkable similarity to a WW2 Sherman - both caught fire with consumate ease, often for no discernible reason, like being hit by an 88.

Caused quite a nose-dive in sales in UK for a few years...

tac