Families of Scots troops reveal hell of barrack life

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, Dec 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1918992007
  2. Howe barracks isn't the problem. The problem lies with the age old fact that the blokes are only there long enough to empty their sacks & fill up their flasks before f*cking off on another 6 monther!
  3. 2 Mercian recently returned to barracks after a two week post deployment leave only to find that all the windows in the barrack block in Hounslow had been taken out. Not much you can do about this on a cold and wet Sunday afternoon! You couldn't make it up!
  4. Absolutely, fingers. You will not be surprised to hear that the soundbite about Howe Barracks was only one part of the comments supplied by BAFF (British Armed Forces Federation), but that is how it works.

The full comments led with the fact that the Battalion are off in the New Year on yet another operational tour.
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Get over it or leave. The MOD will do jack to help you. Welfare of children? why not put them in boarding school. At least Kent is not as cold as scotland and the diet is likely to be better down in the south east.
    Soldiers are living up to their challenges the ultimate one is soon to be tested, how to be on op tours in iraq and afghanistan at the same time.
    These are the sort of answers you can expect from civ depts in the MOD.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

The same complaints could be registered by the families of most Bns.

I'm not sure about the extra warrant thing though - unless it becomes a tour add on so that the girls can go home to mum. It is not just Scot's wives who end far from home when the Bn are away.
  7. I think some of you are missing the point here with your Engloish tinted glasses.

It maybe a Scottish newspaper and a Scottish Reg that are issuing the complaints - but it is Forces wide. Everyone in the Army knows that the wives etc etc are away from home aswell, and maybe living in a deserted camp in Germany.

Apart from that, the schooling in Scotland is better....!!!
  8. I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of hearing the whinging and whining going on these days. Every man is a volunteer; if you don't like it then leave stop the moaning.

In my mind the press have a lot to answer for; keep telling everyone that everything is sh*t and eventually everyone will believe it regardless of the truth.

I could bang on for hours on this subject but I think I had better end here!
  9. Yeah right. This is not just another job, the defense of the nation is at stake. It may only take a few months (3-6 probably) to replace a new Tom but it takes a decade or more to replace an experienced soldier.

Right now it may look as though we do not need the armed forces but it probably looked that way in 1938ish.
  10. Is this the lead-in to a demand for the Scottish Parliament to pay more to Scottish soldiers in the same way as it plans to pay more to the Scottish Police?

Just asking...

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

You might find that if Scotland was ever to deploy tps to UN deployment (can't see them going anywhere else), they might well get a kickback from the UN money normally grabbed by our current Treasury.

I disliked being in Multinational NATO HQs where the Euro nation staff got a % of that and we didn't. I particularly didn't like the GE WO who announced within a couple of months in a 6 monther, he had already got enough to pay for his dream Harley. B@stard.....

Edited to add - are we not a little off post thanks to Litotes although I think I may have helped too.... :wink:
  13. So what your trying to say is because they volunteer they should shut up and not complain at all? That is the reason why there are so many shortcomings at the moment after years of shutting up. And of course all these 1300 officers who are planning or have left in the last 6 months are so thick they can't see a poor deal when its laid in front of them. And of course the parliamentary reports and the comments by senior serving officers are of course all whinging? Rooper they are leaving at an alarming rate but of course there all to thick to understand a bad deal when they see it.
  14. Having worked with the Argylls, they are an awesome bunch of blokes. They are treated like dirt on the bottom of shoe's when it comes to the general population of Canterbury, who also gave the same welcome to 1RIR. Canterbury are scum! They deserve better, there blocks are in clip, but so are the rest of the Army accomodation. Brown needs to cough up or shut up and get lost.
  15. Good on em for standing up to be counted.

Whet can't troops be based in their recruiting areas? This would help retention, family support etc etc etc.