Families House Birmingham (Selly Oak)

oldbaldy

LE
Now that Norton House is up and running questions have been asked about the accommodation for Selly Oak.

This is still an ongoing project & although a suitable property has been identified there are a number of issues still to resolve and SSAFA still need to raise a substantial amount of money.
If anyone is in a position of infuence within the Defence Industry or other major company especially in the Birmingham area and can help, SSAFA would be delighted to hear from you. Contact:
Helen Walker
Director of Fundraising
T: 020 7463 9220
E: helen.w@ssafa.org.uk

Individuals can make a donation here:
http://www.justgiving.com/ssafa

or
http://www.ssafa.org.uk/downloads/DDdonationForm.pdf

I trust non of our families will have to use it.
But good to know it will be there, funding permitting

oldbaldy

LE
This isn't the hospital Chris. It is accommodaion for the families visiting those in the hospital:
Birmingham ‘Home from Home’
SSAFA is setting up a second ‘home from home’ for relatives visiting loved
ones at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. The Association is running a £5
million fundraising appeal to pay for both projects. To date, SSAFA has
secured more than £3 million.
http://www.ssafa.org.uk/downloads/NortonHousePR.pdf

There is already accommodation for families within Alexandra Wing, and a number of flats in the surrounding area. What is SSAFA proposing to provide?

oldbaldy said:
This isn't the hospital Chris. It is accommodaion for the families visiting those in the hospital:
Birmingham ‘Home from Home’
SSAFA is setting up a second ‘home from home’ for relatives visiting loved
ones at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. The Association is running a £5
million fundraising appeal to pay for both projects. To date, SSAFA has
secured more than £3 million.
http://www.ssafa.org.uk/downloads/NortonHousePR.pdf
yes but in alexander wing there's accomodation that familys can use

aswell as wifi internet sky tv etc

the front room is pretty homely actually :D

oldbaldy

LE
ViroBono said:
There is already accommodation for families within Alexandra Wing, and a number of flats in the surrounding area. What is SSAFA proposing to provide?
A facilitity similar to Norton House.

oldbaldy

LE
ViroBono said:
When families arrive to be with severely injured relatives being treated at Selly Oak, they stay in rooms on Alexandra Wing or one of four flats rented by SSAFA. About 90 relatives a month stay for an average of five days at a time.
Helen Walker, director of fund-raising, said: "This home from home will serve a different purpose to Norton House, because families arriving here will be dealing with the news that a loved one has been severely injured, so will need 24-7 access to a variety of services, such as counselling and child care.

"At the moment we have to accommodate visiting relatives in side rooms on the ward at Selly Oak and in flats we rent near the hospital, but we realise this isn't perfect.

"Spending time with their families is an essential part of the healing process, and so suitable accommodation is essential.

"Selly Oak is the first port of call for military trauma, and the whole idea of having a home from home there is to make life as stress-free as possible during what can be a very tough time for them."

Round-the-clock support does not come cheap - running costs for Norton House and the proposed Selly Oak home are set to top £100,000 each per year.
http://www.birminghampost.net/news/...se-families-of-injured-troops-65233-20540660/

oldbaldy said:
Round-the-clock support does not come cheap - running costs for Norton House and the proposed Selly Oak home are set to top £100,000 each per year.
I know it's been said befofore, but it still needs hammering home;

Why the hell is the Government not using some of our money to support the families.
Why does it have to be charity?
Will no faceless bureaucrat explain why such a paltry sum of our money is not available? FFS MPs can spend that much on employing their sodding families to lick stamps.
No talk of priorities.
No talk of partnerships.

Action this day

The difference between the flats and the rooms already in existence at Alexandra Wing is immense. There's room for children to play at Norton House, it's fully accessible so that the injured people can spend time with their families away from the Treatment Centre if they are able, there's support available from House Managers, guests can use a washing machine, cook a meal and most importantly, they're not crying into their pillow in a Travelodge, totally alone. Thats what SSAFA are doing and I think it is so worthwhile. I hope the last 1.4 million comes in quick and the property at Selly Oak can open asap so that the 90 relavives per month who stay at Selly Oak, can have the chance to use the new facilities.

Jane said:
The difference between the flats and the rooms already in existence at Alexandra Wing is immense. There's room for children to play at Norton House, it's fully accessible so that the injured people can spend time with their families away from the Treatment Centre if they are able, there's support available from House Managers, guests can use a washing machine, cook a meal and most importantly, they're not crying into their pillow in a Travelodge, totally alone. Thats what SSAFA are doing and I think it is so worthwhile. I hope the last 1.4 million comes in quick and the property at Selly Oak can open asap so that the 90 relavives per month who stay at Selly Oak, can have the chance to use the new facilities.
Trust me, I have no problem whatsoever with what SSAFA is doing. On the the other hand, I have a huge problem with what is not being done by the Government. Let me reiterate my point, we, the taxpayer should provide this accomodation. Then, if SSAFA want to provide some extra comforts, then all well and good.

It isn't just "us" that have to do this...last night we presented a cheque to MND for £4k. They will be spending this to provide wheelchairs for six sufferers in Wilts. The NHS are supposed to provide these but it works like this, diagnosed, apply for chair, wait...wait...wait...your chair is ready. What do you mean you died a month ago?

So, it isn't just us and we need to up the flame on government to explain why necessary provision is not being provided from statutory funds. Because I cannot quite see where they are spending the money otherwise!!

Cuddles said:
So, it isn't just us and we need to up the flame on government to explain why necessary provision is not being provided from statutory funds. Because I cannot quite see where they are spending the money otherwise!!
Quite. Me neither.

PE4rocks said:
oldbaldy said:
I know it's been said befofore, but it still needs hammering home;

Why the hell is the Government not using some of our money to support the families.
Why does it have to be charity?
Will no faceless bureaucrat explain why such a paltry sum of our money is not available? FFS MPs can spend that much on employing their sodding families to lick stamps.
No talk of priorities.
No talk of partnerships.

Hear feckin hear

Action this day

It could be worth approaching the University of Birmingham regarding this - they are literally on the doorstep in Selly Oak and among the whinging student layabouts you will find a certain percentage of intelligent well-funded kids who do support the troops, contrary to popular belief. They're certainly smart enough to distinguish between care of soldiers and their families and the government policies that result in that care being needed. I think there'd be a particular sympathy for the cause from the medical students, given that the Royal Defence Medical College is now part of the Uni's medical school.

PE4rocks said:
Cuddles said:
Quite. Me neither.

Here are just a few examples of where or leaders have prioritised: :x

- £280,000 on a conference addressed by Blair and Brown on value for money in the public services.

- £400 million on 'cost control' for the Olympic Games.

- £3 million by tax inspectors at HM Revenue and Customs on flights, including £2.1 million on flights to Scotland.

- Over £16 million on the creation and upkeep of VIP lounges in Heathrow and Gatwick despite the fact they are not government-owned.

- £100,000 on assessing whether £400,000 reportedly spent on modern art for seven hospitals was money well spent. ( no wonder we're in trouble! )

Sourse..

http://www.harriman-house.com/pages/book.htm?BookCode=172643

Step away from the trigger, you old fool.