Families House Birmingham (Selly Oak)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Feb 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Now that Norton House is up and running questions have been asked about the accommodation for Selly Oak.

This is still an ongoing project & although a suitable property has been identified there are a number of issues still to resolve and SSAFA still need to raise a substantial amount of money.
    If anyone is in a position of infuence within the Defence Industry or other major company especially in the Birmingham area and can help, SSAFA would be delighted to hear from you. Contact:
    Helen Walker
    Director of Fundraising
    T: 020 7463 9220
    E: helen.w@ssafa.org.uk

Individuals can make a donation here:
    http://www.justgiving.com/ssafa

or
    http://www.ssafa.org.uk/downloads/DDdonationForm.pdf

2. I trust non of our families will have to use it.
    But good to know it will be there, funding permitting

3. when i was at selly oaks i was in "alexander wing"

is that not up and running nomore???

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

This isn't the hospital Chris. It is accommodaion for the families visiting those in the hospital:
    http://www.ssafa.org.uk/downloads/NortonHousePR.pdf

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

There is already accommodation for families within Alexandra Wing, and a number of flats in the surrounding area. What is SSAFA proposing to provide?

6. yes but in alexander wing there's accomodation that familys can use

aswell as wifi internet sky tv etc

the front room is pretty homely actually :D

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

A facilitity similar to Norton House.

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks for link to new thread ... listening out.

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2008/02/29/birmingham-to-house-families-of-injured-troops-65233-20540660/

10. I know it's been said befofore, but it still needs hammering home;

Why the hell is the Government not using some of our money to support the families.
    Why does it have to be charity?
    Will no faceless bureaucrat explain why such a paltry sum of our money is not available? FFS MPs can spend that much on employing their sodding families to lick stamps.
    No talk of priorities.
    No talk of partnerships.

Action this day

11. The difference between the flats and the rooms already in existence at Alexandra Wing is immense. There's room for children to play at Norton House, it's fully accessible so that the injured people can spend time with their families away from the Treatment Centre if they are able, there's support available from House Managers, guests can use a washing machine, cook a meal and most importantly, they're not crying into their pillow in a Travelodge, totally alone. Thats what SSAFA are doing and I think it is so worthwhile. I hope the last 1.4 million comes in quick and the property at Selly Oak can open asap so that the 90 relavives per month who stay at Selly Oak, can have the chance to use the new facilities.

12. Trust me, I have no problem whatsoever with what SSAFA is doing. On the the other hand, I have a huge problem with what is not being done by the Government. Let me reiterate my point, we, the taxpayer should provide this accomodation. Then, if SSAFA want to provide some extra comforts, then all well and good.

13. It isn't just "us" that have to do this...last night we presented a cheque to MND for £4k. They will be spending this to provide wheelchairs for six sufferers in Wilts. The NHS are supposed to provide these but it works like this, diagnosed, apply for chair, wait...wait...wait...your chair is ready. What do you mean you died a month ago?

So, it isn't just us and we need to up the flame on government to explain why necessary provision is not being provided from statutory funds. Because I cannot quite see where they are spending the money otherwise!!

14. Quite. Me neither.