Familiarisation Visit

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by JasonBourne123, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a familiarisation visit coming up with the Signals as I am trying to get into Sandhurst. I know there is an assault course involved and a final race. Does anyone know how long the race is and what’s the assault course is like (I am so excited for it). Also could anyone give me any advice for the two day visit please?
  2. if you want to join the signals as an officer ask yourself what you want to do in the army, if the answer is LEAD men, dont join the Signals as all you will do is MANAGE men, also dont be fooled into thinking you will be using lots of cool IT or Comms equip as you wont, youll be in an office.

As for the 2 day course, **** knows.

Hope that was useful. :D
  3. LOL so I won’t get to kill people or use cool satellite imagery positioning systems like Jack Bauer ;)

Well the Familiarisation Visit I guess is to see if I like the Signals and well if the Signals like me. When they ask me why I want to join the army and I tell them that “I want to join because I couldn’t sit behind a desk all day and for the adventure”, am guessing there probably going to tell me it’s not right for me :/
  4. Notso is wrong, In the Signals we have Troop Commanders not managers. You will lead especially as a young officer.

As for being stuck in the office, fat chance you will be too busy ;)
  5. LOL now am confused :D
  6. Its simple as a Royal Signal Troop Commander you will deploy tactical comms not sat on your bum counting radios and managing assets.

When back in barracks you will be organising adventure training, military training and many other "good ideas club" inititiaves from the CO :)

Have a read http://www.army.mod.uk/signals/officer-careers/default.aspx
  7. screw the nut!

that is the problem with recruiting, too many people trying to fill round holes with square pegs, let him know the truth.

He will not be taking guys on Ops in a leadership role, end of chat, he will not be using sat imagery in the way jack bauer does.

The title troop commander in the signals is an oxy moron!! They have a job to do but they are not inspirational leaders of men
  8. I beleive the Jack Bauer line was sarcasm to your reply as Jason never mentioned the hollywood action piece.

The Tp Cdrs I see lead, they are not "Line managers". In the Regiments they will deploy small dismounted tactical dets deal with their own force protection and life support. They wont be sat running a job sheet on the shop floor.

Granted they will not be fixing bayonets and charging the line but I am sure Jason would of pushed towards the infantry if that was his desire.
  9. I was never an Officer, but i believe having recently completed 26 years within the Corps entitles me to a reasonably informed opinion.

NSG would appear to be commenting on a completely different Corps to the one i am familiar with. I am well aware times change.... but Disco's comments would appear to be pretty spot on. Failing that, if the excitement of the tank park isn't enough for you, the diverse range of roles within the Corps should provide sumfin to tickle your fancy. Hell, you could even apply for the White helmets and get paid to fall off a motorbike for a couple of years.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and that is what this two day excursion you are going on is for.... to help you form yours. Take EVERYONES advice with a pinch of salt and remember that whatever you go for.... completing Sandhurst will not make you a natural born leader of men! It will however provide you with an excellent start point. Listen to the advice and guidance of the GOOD Senior NCO's and learn from their experience.

That will be the end of the lecture.... class dismissed! :lol:

You are obviously a nice young chap on the threshold of a glorious career! Listen to all the comments. Go on all the familiarisation courses you can. Make an informed choice and go on to enjoy a great career.

You may want to consider posting in the Officers forum to get a possible answer on your Course content question.

Good luck bud! :boogie:
  10. nicley put!

every one has a opinion, enjoy the visit, make your own mind up.

(but i am still right)!
  11. Thank you for all the advice guys, I am just going to go and try having a fantastic time, make a fool of myself on the assault course, while trying not to fall asleep in the lectures and hopefully make some new friends. :wink:

Doogonk that was very nice thanks. :D
  12. Lol, now who's going for the rise? Admit it.... you're bored aren't ya? :p
  13. Don't let the bed gooks bite bud! Look forward to more of your highly entertaining posts on the morrow! :twisted: