Fam Visits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by JSDEL, Aug 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I'm a scholar, 18 years old and just put down my first two choices as RRF and PWRR electronically and have been told that they will both contact me within two weeks to organise visits.
    Skimmed through a few old posts but not really had my question answered.
    What will I be doing for a week away with these regiments and will there be formal interviews etc?

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Each regiment does it differently. It is quite likely that you will be 'paired' with a junior officer for part of it, but I should imagine you will also get an interview with someone like the Regimental Secretary - or even the Colonel Commandant - but the whole point is that it is a mutual 'getting to know you' opportunity. My advice is to get stuck in to all the activities they organise for you, ask plenty of questions and try to get a feel for the atmosphere of the units you visit.
  3. We give POs a barracks tour (tank park, training wing, stables, that kind of jazz), visit the WO / Sgts mess with the RSM, and get involved in mess shenanigans. There's also an interview with the Commanding Officer.

As cpunk says, the regiments / battalions are sussing you out as much as you are sussing them out (more, perhaps, as we see a lot of POs!), so you need to work out if you feel comfortable in the environment, as the officers at station will be working out if they can see you fitting in as a member of the mess.

If I can offer one piece of advice, you need to feel comfortable in the mess environment, but you also need to get along with the soldiers. They are not scary people, as over-facing as it can seem on a visit. Unfortunately, the next time you'll really have anything to do with soldiers is after RMAS when you return to unit. Work out if you get on with them, think you can have a laugh and do well professionally with them.

Leading soldiers is the bestest thing in the world, so make sure you are fully set-up to enjoy it!