Fam visits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by stripe, Oct 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick one,

I want to book another fam visit shortly, hopefully to an infantry reg. Are these arranged via your ACA, or should I contact the reg directly?

2. PBW

PBW Swinger

Stripe, you can do both to book Fam visits - it's all registered on the same system however via your ACA always seems to be an easier route when booking them.
  3. One of my visits I arranged by writing to the Regimental Adjutant directly. The others were organised by the ACA - I had details from those I wished to visit about two days after seeing the ACA, so it is very efficient.
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Just remember to wash your hands and stay well away from the Bulls
  5. snip snip snipped
  6. Excuse my ignorance, but what's a fam visit?
  7. Fam = Familiarisation. A chance to see a regiment / corps, and for them to see you.
  8. Whilst still a civvie?
  9. Yes, also possible (but harder, I believe, if you haven't visited a regiment / corps before) while at Sandhurst.
  10. To reply to my own topic, my ACA said I don't need any more fam visits as I've got sponsorship from my last one already, plus a visit to the RMP in Jan before my main board.

Any visits I'd lke to do in future I will arrange myself to my local reg.

I can understand, expenses etc...
  11. PBW

PBW Swinger

If you're not 100% certain on the regiment sponsoring you then it's definitely worth experiencing others prior to your entry at Sandhurst. Remember that the mintue you walk through the door at RMAS all sponsorship is dropped like plates in a Greek restaurant. Your ACA is not exactly on the ball if they are suggesting that experiencing regimental life at two fam visits is enough to make a decision on where you could effectively be spending the next 35 years of your career.

If contacting your local infantry regiment doesn't do the job google SO3 recruitment officer and thename of the regiment, this should spit out some contact details.