Fam Visits to RAMC and RLC. What to expect?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by dolfinack, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Careers Officer is arranging RAMC and RLC fam visits for me before the AOSB briefing. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect at either of these visits? Any info would be of great help guys.

Also, if you're feeling extra helpful: Without sounding like bit of a nonce, I'm not exactly into the drinking culture, disliking most beers etc and from what I read on the forums, there is a fair amount of swilling going on on the fam visits. Now, I'm all for letting the other lads get on with it, but I'd hate to be marked down for not mixing in. I'm surely being a bit over the top about this but I want to make the best impression.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Fat people with whiny voices and borderline RMAS passes :D . OK, only joking...
    Nobody is going to look down on you for not drinking heavily, don't let it worry you. Being able to enjoy yourself without getting sh1tfaced is a virtue.

3. I'm a CMT NCO and I used to conduct, be part of a lot of these fam visits in Tidworth. We basically used to put on a demo from point of wounding all the way to the end of Role 2 (in the medical chain) then took the PO's in the 432's for a bit 'cross country driving training' letting them do some driving / commanding.

Afterwards there is a bit of a p1ss up but there was alot of the PO's who did not drink, the CMT's don't really care cos its more beer for them :D .

All in all i think the PO's actually do enjoy them selfs.

Hope this helps.

4. Thanks guys, thats exactly what I was hoping you'd say... I can rest easy.

Now out to run 'til I puke :(

5. The RLC one is good fun, obviously they take you around a lot of the machinery they use and talk you through the Corp. You will get joining instructions with an itinerary so you will know what to expect and when!

The practice command tasks are good preperation for the Briefing too

6. If you're lucky, they may even teach you how to spell it.

7. RLC fam visit last year was...
    Phys- basic sandhurst entry/AOSB requirements
    talks from some relatively senior officers(i recall it being the regimental colonel)
    presentations on what the RLC actually is...
    dinner with a whole host of RLC YO's and some other officers.
    an interview with a member of the recruiting team
    then beers in the mess...(not to silly to be honest, they don't really kick the arrse out of it)
    then the morning after...
    more presentations,
    command tasks and that sort of affair
    a nose around the museum of logistics
    and then home.

Seriously though, if you don't want to drink, don't worry about it, plenty of the officers were not drinking, its not that rare! Enjoy and keep an open mind, and ask questions!! Good luck

8. You forgot to mention the BBQ and kipping out overnight in an 18X24.

9. and putting up lots of tents for the med gear.

10. we are talking about fam visits, not what happens in real life!