Fam visits before AOSB Main Board

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by jac123, Dec 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick one,

I have my main board booked for early 2011, I haven't been on any familiarisation visits even though I know I want to join an infantry regiment. So basically I'm wondering if it would count against me if I haven't been on a fam visit? Hopefully I will get an interview with the Irish Guards before my Main Board, but since I am still at uni, I can't find a slot in my academic timetable before my AOSB main board to sort a fam visit. Thanks for any help!!

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It won't be an issue.

3. It won't count against you, although I would recommend going on PO visits as early in the process as you can so that you can be sure you actually want to join the army and in particular that part of the army. It is virtually impossible to really understand a regiment and it's role without going along and seeing it first hand. I must have been on nearly 10 PO visits to various regiments in the 3 or 4 years before I went to Sandhurst (admittedly that was a few years ago and things may have changed) but as a result I was absolutely confident that my regimental choices at Sandhurst and the one I eventually settled on where/was right for me.

4. jac123 I share your frustrations. My ACA has a policy of only allowing contact with two regiments/corps before main board so I selected an infantry regiment and a cavalry regiment. Unfortunately, except for a RAC PO visit to Bovington, my contact with the regiments has so far been limited to interviews. Both the infantry and cavalry regiment I selected only organise proper fam visits after you've past main boards. This can be a bit annoying when you meet people who seem to have been around the whole of the army on fam visits but I guess patience is a virtue

5. Jac123

Check your PMs

Old Rat