Fam visit with a Regt after spons by another Regt

Discussion in 'Officers' started by wager, Nov 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m sponsored by my local Infantry regiment and while I’m delighted with their sponsorship, I want to get another Fam visit in with a different corps. However, since getting sponsorship I haven’t dealt with anyone except my sponsoring regiment (i.e. I have no contact with my AFCO). Is it possible to arrange another visit, and how so? Can I contact the other regiment directly, or do I have to go through my sponsoring regiment?

Hope you can help,

2. I've just got back from Middle Wallop on Fam. visit. The thing they couldnt stress enough was get yourself on other Fam. visits to see how other corps and Reg's. do things. I've passed AAC Aircrew Aptitude and Medical exams, awaiting AOSB Briefing in January. If your the same go visit other places...get a feel round other places because if your first choice goes t*ts up then you can try one of the places.

Hope that helped.
  3. Just go back to recruiting office and ask. dont approach directly.
    I would go through the sponsoring regt as a last option. if the other regiment is in the same infantry division then they will probably share a recruiting office in that division HQ, and will be likely to help you out. if they are in different divisions, they may not be as able/willing to put you in touch
    do get another fam, and dont forget to shop around when you get to RMAS
  4. Cheers guys.
  5. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Just get on to the internet and google the RHQ of the Regt you wish to visit. Write/email the Regt Secretary and ask for a fam visit. Likely they'll sort something out.

6. Im going on attachment for a few days with a different Regiment to my sponsor so theres no problem if you cant find the RHQ address, get in touch with your careers officer.
  7. Got back from PCCBC recently and they couldn't emphasise the worth of fam visits enough. You make your first selection for choice of Arm very early on at RMAS. You have to chop this down to 2 in your first term before going on visits. It's easier if you've had a good look around and know where you want to go.
  8. You need to get out and visit as many regiments and corps. Once you enter Sandhurst all bets are off.

I'm also sponsored by an infantry regiment and I get fam visits to all over the shop through my sponsor. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out. If they are any good as a sponsor they will want to get you out to see as much of the army as possible. Even if it is just so you can see that your original sponsor unit is the best!
  9. I don't know who told you that but that is not the case. Yes, you can look around at other Regiments in order to make sure that you end up joining the right one but you would be pretty naive to blow off your sponsoring Regiment once you arrive at RMAS.
  10. I was told as soon as you enter the gates of RMAS your sponsorship means little in regards to a confirmed place with that arm/regiment. Many are sponsored by the RLC for example just to have some form of sponsorship. Yes it's all good because you've got face time in already however many change choices and your performance at Sandhurst means a lot more I would have thought..... I may be wrong. I don't plan on dropping all contact with my sponsor!