Fallschirmjager

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by christopher94, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard of someone whose dad was a German Fallschirmjager (paratrooper) in Stalingrad in 1943.
    Since these were meant to be "elite" troops, would I be correct in assuming that none of them would have been conscripted?

2. He's a site member pm him

• Like Like x 9
  3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I know he is a friend of you and Dorothy but when you guys say 'conscripted' doesn't it mean something else?

4. Dorothy died mate, too much of the sniff and diazzies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Why would being 'elite' mean non-conscript? Plenty of conscripts ended up in the RM and Army Commandos, Parachute Regt, etc, on our side, and I doubt it was different for the Huns. Could well be wrong, though, and I'm sure someone here can be bothered to google this (I can't).

But please, be careful of calling any group 'elite' - it is meaningless, and is a term usually only used by the press and the authors of cheap literature :)

• Like Like x 6
  6. Plenty of conscripted British Para's why not FSJ also? Have you asked your freind? But the new FSJ is apparently GPMGSF, odd name for a stealy eyed dealer of death from above.

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well I didn't know that about Fallschirmjager. Talk about regimental history, always wondered why the German user name.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If he jumped with a Tripod dangling beneath him, a GPMG on his back, and 600 rounds of link in his kit then my respect for him has doubled! It was bad enough running around Brecon with the ******* things, let alone having them dangling by your nads!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Conscripts in Parachute Regiment? I thought every paratrooper was a volunteer. Can someone confirm this?

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

The regiment was established after conscription, so conscripts volunteered for the Airborne Brigade (i.e. Gliders, Paratroops etc).

11. Great book worth reading is:

Storming Eagles by James Lucas

A comprehensive account of German Airborne forces of World War Two. Compelling account of those men whose reputation for bravery was well founded.

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

May give Amazon a nose tomorrow as I could do with something to read other than anthropology books.

13. 10th Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers became 6th (RWF) Battalion the Parachute Regiment, lock stock and Regimental Mascot comlpete with the RWF Flash on their battledress. So yes to make up the numbers ALL regiments had conscripts in them.

4th & 6th Battalion became 1Para in 1948 in Germany.

14. Same as in the UK they were conscripted and volunteered for the paratroops and as above moved job lot then the undesireables RTU or if you read "heaven and hell war diary of a german paratrooper" you get selected while caught drinking beer on stag, as for being at stalingrad i dont think there was any parachute formations in the 6th army.

15. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Depot Para 1977, I passed out and one of the toms on that pass out parade ( well known kraut in the Bn and a fcuking good shoot) became a sniper in 2 Para down south, well his dad turned up in Fallschirmjager uniform with Iron cross first class, Stalingrad and Crete Ribbons looked the Dogs Blx, The reveiwing officer was Major General John Frost CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DL , fcuk it was a good day too get your Blue Lanyard. but back on thread His dad was a conscript hard as **** and seriously Airborne.

• Like Like x 12