Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Well, I finally have it. The years of waiting since Fallout 2 are finally over, the worries that Bethesda would screw it up with their "new take" are gone. This game is fucking amazing, FACT.

I bought it on Friday (special edition, in the lunchbox with the DVD, artwork book and bobblehead: £39.99. The game on it's own only costs £28 in Zavvi which is a bargain) and finally got home to my PC last night. The weekend was a nightmare looking at the case and counting down the hours to the install, but it was all worth it. My recently-upgraded PC (now with Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB RAM and a GeForce 8800GTX) handles it like a dream. The graphics are better than anything I've seen, turned up to the max. The first time you emerge from the Vault is particularly impressive - as your eyes adjust to the natural light for the first time you're greeted to a truly immense panorama of the wasteland, with the ruins of the Washington Monument and the Capital Building miles away in the distance. What makes it even more impressive is knowing that this view isn't just a background - these are rendered buildings, fully explorable when you finally reach them, but the game has drawn them in spite of the view distance.

Six hours of gameplay (interspersed with the new Sharpe), and I doubt I've even begun to get into it. By the time I completed the first proper "storyline quest" ("Has anyone seen my dad please?") I'd already picked up about seven other side quests, at least two of which are easily going to take two hours each.

I only have a couple of minor gripes so far, and mostly they're due to my own uselessness. The first is the controls, and the fact I keep hitting the wrong buttons. I guess this will improve with practice, but I recommend being careful when trading. I managed to spend 80% of my wealth on repairing my entire inventory (which was full of loot I wanted to sell) at the mechanic's store by accidentally hitting "A". A confirmation screen would have been nice, but never mind.

The second weird thing that happened was that one time I bullied a super mutant. Level 2 waste-wanderer carrying a gash little 10mm pistol gets ambushed by a super mutant with a minigun. I duck behind a tree, pop out, whack it in VATS targetting mode and see what's happening. Turns out my best chance of a hit is to attack the minigun (it being massive and the closest thing to me), so I think if I can disarm him like that then it might give me a chance. Three rounds and he drops his gun, fair enough, but I'm still panicking he's going to give me a shoeing. No. The 8' tall, 400lb monster suddenly bricks it and starts running away over the rocks! Very strange, but not as annoying as the fact that his dropped minigun is nowhere to be seen. I reckoned it was worth a small fortune to someone in my situation. Maybe my eyesight is crap, but I can't help feeling I lost out there.

The third thing is about perception and traps. In the first two, a good perception would flag up hazards to you, so you could have a crack at disarming them. Not the case here, as far as I can tell. My perception is massive, but I still keep walking over pretty simple tripwires. If you're a fan of the old games, you'll have to adjust your mindset when it comes to wandering around occupied buildings - the game doesn't do it for you!

These are only minor things, and don't take away the fact that in six hours of play I already know I'm playing my favourite game of all time. I've yet to see a graphics issue, the load times are miniscule, it's funny and intelligent and fully immersive. I'm praying for some flu so I can get some sick leave.

If you're a fan of the Fallout series (and let's face it, if you've played them then you should be) then why have you not already bought this game? If you've never played Fallout before don't worry. Fallout 3 is completed standalone in terms of storyline, so at no point should you feel that you're missing out because you didn't play the originals. However, I do recommend you go and buy the budget pack with Fallout 1, 2, Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel. It's probably only £15.

One final point I feel is worth mentioning: Downloadable content. They're supposed to be doing a boatload of the stuff. I own a PC and a PS3, and my housemate has an XBox 360. F3 is available on all, but the downloads are only available on 360 and PC. If you have a choice of console, don't go for the PS3 version or you'll be selling yourself short.

2. I have it on the PC, I agree, its an amazing game.

Just make sure you don't complete the main quest, until you have spent around 100 - 150 hours of gaming in other areas first!

Just got a contract, to kill bad guys and collect their fingers for payment!

3. Am waiting for Play.com to get the special edition back in stock (£34.99) and send it out to me, have never played any of the originals but recently downloaded Fallout 2 off of Good Old Games ( http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/ ) for a fiver, with Vista fixes ect. And then couldn't get into the game.

Hoping Fallout 3 is a bit more accessible, it does look good from the screenshots.

4. BrunoNoMedals

Fallout 2 is still one of the funniest games I've ever played. It's far better than the first in terms of scope and gameplay (the first was buggy, a lot smaller, and didn't bother with the wicked sense of humour anywhere near as much - but it's still a classic!). If you can get it to work you will NOT be disappointed, but be warned that it's also a very big game that can easily take 30-40 hours of your life. Then another 30-40 when you play through it again in a different way... and then again...

The first two do follow one another in terms of storyline, so I'd try and play them in order. Not only do you get a better feel for what's going on and where things are, but you'll appreciate the improvements in the sequel more. If you play #2 first, you'll look at the original and think "this is pants". Oh, and if you play #1 you'll appreciate Dogmeat more in #3 :D

5. I'm sure I'll give it another shot once I've got into Fallout 3.

And when I'm done with Far Cry 2.

6. I have actually just finished playing though Fallout 2, decided to have a play though as a super strong melee guy, loads of fun was had!

Am going to be picking this up on my way home tonight, and am really looking forward to it. I just hope it has the Fallout feel. As long as it has dark jokes, and I can do almost every quests in a load of different ways I am happy (there is nothing better than getting a quests to retrieve an items from a characters, and instead of negotiating with him, or doing a job for him, just shooting him right between the eyes!).

7. BrunoNoMedals

The dark sense of humour is still there, it just doesn't make at as in-your-face as #2. 2 was full of silly easter egss, slapstick and real-world references. I think they wanted to make #3 a little more believeable (within the boundaries of their alternate universe, obviously).

At the risk of making this a thread of spoilers, is anyone up for a bit of "experience sharing" (in a totally non-sexual way)? I'm wondering about the sick guy sat outside Megaton - I gave him some purified water which I randomly found, probably in the Super Dupa Mart, and his was all very grateful, but nothing happened - he just asked if I had more. Has anyone given him a load of the stuff to see what happens? I'd like to believe that after a certain amount of help he gets up and rewards you with something, but pure water isn't exactly common.

In a similar vein, how does the food sanitiser work? I was under the impression that it just reduced the rad intake from any food you ate normally, provided it was in your inventory at the time. Thing is, I still get nailed for a LOAD of rads whatever I eat. Do you have to do something in particular?

Finally, that Bittercup bird in Big Town was trying it on with me. Do we know if she (or indeed anyone else) is nailable? :D

8. If you have a look in Pardise (my spelling) falls, you may find a big bed.........

Don't know about the man and his water problem, I gave him 2 x water, and when I next came back he had died!

9. BrunoNoMedals

Allergic to unradiated stuff, evidently :D

Maybe it's one of those Fallout lessons in Karma - are you really doing good? A good turn for one screws another, gives an unpredicted reaction, etc...

Very deep!

10. Fire Ants.

Nasty.

That is all. :D

11. BrunoNoMedals

Not met any yet - Radscorpions are giving me enough gyp as it is. Mind you, I'm off to Gray...erm, whatever it's called to rescure that Billy's parents. Any tips?

I'm hoping my new Chinese Assault Rifle and Laser Pistol will be more use than the 10mm!

12. has anyone made it to the part with the robot (near the end) ? i was pissing myself at some of the stuff that thing was saying. (democracy is not optional :-D )

13. Double post.

I am a muppet.

14. Both good - Fire Ants though - Hunting Rifle is a must. VATS and the Hunting Rifle and a Head shot.

Its the law, and don't let them get too close. By which I mean keep them VERY far away!

15. BrunoNoMedals

Two days on the sick and I've been ploughing through the Capital Wasteland! That said, there's easily 25% of the map left for me to explore. This place is huge.

Guess who I found last night? Harold and Bob! Remember the ghoul with the twig growing out of his head in #2? I swear he was in the first as well. Still not found Dogmeat, so this is the only "historical" character I've seen so far. He's still a nutter, too.