Fallout 3 as an WoW type game!

P

PrinceAlbert

I'd not seen this until now.

Completed Fallout 3 a while back, and loved it. Played a bit of WoW as well, enjoyed it, but got a bit bored in the end.

This shows potential!

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Think I saw mention of this on MMORPG.com a year or two back. I could probably be tempted... did Asheron's Call, Lord Of The Rings Online, Warhammer Online and a few other MMOs and I do love them. Unfortunately they're horrendously addictive.

They should do an official Fallout MMO because it's far and away one of the greatest RPG franchises ever done.

I've not got it yet - I still need to reinstall windows on my Macbook. I'll have it within the next week or so, as I've decided I'm going to give it a try.

P

PrinceAlbert

amazing__lobster said:
I've not got it yet - I still need to reinstall windows on my Macbook. I'll have it within the next week or so, as I've decided I'm going to give it a try.
Excellent. Could you please let me know how you get on with it?

Oh God no.

No.

No!

My social life will go down the pan. At least Fallout 3 has an end!

Not going to buy it... it's just not worth it! :twisted:

P

PrinceAlbert

Badgertastic said:
Oh God no.

No.

No!

My social life will go down the pan. At least Fallout 3 has an end!

Not going to buy it... it's just not worth it! :twisted:
I'm considering playing Fallout 3 again. There are so many variations on the quests, and there's so much of the game I didn't do, despite finishing the game.

PrinceAlbert said:
I'm considering playing Fallout 3 again. There are so many variations on the quests, and there's so much of the game I didn't do, despite finishing the game.
Aye, I did pretty much that when I got the DLC packs for it - decided to go through the whole again and try some different angles on it.

Not exactly endless variation, but definitely some decent replay value in it!

How much was the DLC? I've just downloaded those mods mentioned in the other F3 thread and I can't get them working. Gutted, as I've just finished Mass Effect and wanted to get stuck into something else.

I might try the 30-day free trial for Fallen Earth but I'm not convinced by their website. Looks a little unpolished to me. That said, I haven't had chance to check out any of the trailers yet.

Well I really liked Fallout 3, but I've really dislike the WoW types games. This could be a good compromise.

Forks said:
Well I really liked Fallout 3, but I've really dislike the WoW types games. This could be a good compromise.
All the decent MMOs were D&D-type fantasy. Very few Sci-Fi ones were ever done, and I don't know of any post-apocalyptic ones (so if there were any, they weren't worth playing). All that springs to mind is Star Wars Galaxies, which started good and screwed itself over, and Anarchy Online which was one of the earlier MMOs once Everquest, Ultima and Asheron's Call had become established - so well before WoW. It was pants of the highest order.

Sci-Fi games are harder to implement in the MMO world because people expect guns, and the whole damage/accuracy/evasion/protection thing either gets over-simplified or silly. My opinion, anyway.

BrunoNoMedals said:
How much was the DLC? I've just downloaded those mods mentioned in the other F3 thread and I can't get them working. Gutted, as I've just finished Mass Effect and wanted to get stuck into something else.

I might try the 30-day free trial for Fallen Earth but I'm not convinced by their website. Looks a little unpolished to me. That said, I haven't had chance to check out any of the trailers yet.
Can't remember exactly how much (I'm at work and can't check - I'll confirm later) but I think I paid about £7 or £8 each in Microsoft points.

Don't take that as Gospel though...

Don't tempt me to have a look at the trailers :D what makes you think it looks unpolished? Just overall impressions or specifics?

I think that is about right for the Fallout 3 DLC, 800 MS points or so. I initially downloaded them in the UK and brought my 360 back to Germany and then tried to play the mods, they didn't work. Turns out you need to be online when you try to play them for the first time. After that you can go offline.

spaz said:
amazing__lobster said:
What do people think? Are there any ARRSErs who have picked this up on the radar?
I'm downloading it now will let you know if its any good.
Cool - will be good to hear feedback. :)

Although I'm using it as an excuse to get a new gaming PC (my old one died, and the macbook is ok for Empire Total War etc, but can't play Armed assault, crisis):

What do people think of this for the money - £370 and runs crisis on full apparently (5.6 on the vista scale)?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-180-OK

Not bad lobster, good value as always from OCUK. I wouldnt mind a review of this game, I need a distraction from Eve and there is nothing out there worth playing tbh.

It plays very much like Warcraft but looks like that Shadow of Chernobyl game, that said its more difficult and not as repetitive. First impressions are good although it has a few bugs but stuff like this is constantly updated.

Badgertastic said:
Don't tempt me to have a look at the trailers :D what makes you think it looks unpolished? Just overall impressions or specifics?
The website is pretty sloppy. If you can't be arrsed getting your marketing spiel proof-read then it often bodes poorly for the game itself. That's just some very early impressions, though, and in no way based on experience (or even sight) of the game. I'll be tuning in to spaz's updates to see if it's worthwhile!

When I looked at the skill lists it did look a little basic, which makes me wonder just how diverse it could be. "Magic", melee, pistols or rifles... not a lot of variety there I'm afraid. As ever, it doesn't look like it'll cater to my playing style. I'd want to go Tech, but use a rifle. Seems it's not a sensible combination. Warhammer Online did that to me - the Squig Hunter was the only class that really interested me, but it's not my style to play the "bad" guy.

All that said, the tradeskills look pretty good, and that's always a major selling point for me. Also, the way the factions are organised seems to be quite novel and interesting - and pretty clever if it's implemented as well as it's explained.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
whyBanon Gaming and Software 3
BashaBasher Weapons, Equipment & Rations 2
Cait The NAAFI Bar 31