Fallon Resigns

He said his behaviour in the past may have "fallen short" of the standards expected by the UK military.

Fallon resigns over behaviour claims

That's an interesting one. Gives May the chance to say what an honourable chap he is and sets a possible precedent for 'how can the minister remain given that his/her standards fall well below those expected of the public servants in the department he/she leads?' (and for Shadow Ministers, delete 'lead' and replace with 'aspires to lead').

And may causes all sorts of bother by way of precedent for those of a senior disposition who fail the service test...

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sir Michael Fallon has resigned as Defence Secretary in the wake of allegations about sexually inappropriate behaviour after admitting that his past conduct may have "fallen below" the high standards expected of him. In a statement to the press Sir Michael said "I was going for the clunge. The knee is far below that. I am deeply ashamed."

One person mentiond on another site for Defence Sec, Jacob Rees-Mogg. A man of very high intelligence and cuts through the BS, tells it how it is and appears throughly likeable. The latter trait is unusual in a politician.

Sir Michael Fallon has resigned as Defence Secretary in the wake of allegations about sexually inappropriate behaviour after admitting that his past conduct may have "fallen below" the high standards expected of him. In a statement to the press Sir Michael said "I was going for the clunge. The knee is far below that. I am deeply ashamed."
J H-B would have snapped his neck. She doen't have a problem over this.

Good f***ing riddance.

That said, given the size of the hole in Defence Funding just now, I'd not be surprised if he hasn't taken advantage of circumstances to ditch a toxic appointment

Priti Patel for Defence; and if she wants an MA / PSO / bag carrier, I am but a phone call away........

That look on her face; when she saw me in my phys kit, that was.

Someone rising up within the area of defence has been our local MP - Mark Lancaster. Currently Minister of State for the Armed Forces with personnel, veterans and reserves as his remit. Also a (reserve) Colonel in the Royal Engineers.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He said his behaviour in the past may have "fallen short" of the standards expected by the UK military.

Fallon resigns over behaviour claims

That's an interesting one. Gives May the chance to say what an honourable chap he is and sets a possible precedent for 'how can the minister remain given that his/her standards fall well below those expected of the public servants in the department he/she leads?' (and for Shadow Ministers, delete 'lead' and replace with 'aspires to lead').

And may causes all sorts of bother by way of precedent for those of a senior disposition who fail the service test...
It is a very curious way to frame it. I've never had much time for Fallon, and I don't think this is anything other than him realising the game is up and understanding the right way to spin it. But the fact he was even conscious enough to spin it that way, and was willing to say it (given the precedent it sets, as you say) notches him up a small amount in my estimation. If he actually meant it about standards, well, I think he could have spent at least some of his tenure not lying through his teeth about how fine everything was at every opportunity.

Also think it means he's done more than touch Julia H-B's knee, whether nefarious behaviour or just plain old consensual adultery, and is taking the bullet so he can dodge the tank.

Johnny Mercer or that Tugendhat fella.

What does this mean for defence?
Defence needs painting and de lawn needs mowing.

Hat and coat on.........ah my taxi.

Would be a significant promotion for JRM. Will need to be a safe, rather than wandering, pair of hands and probably a lower-ranked cabinet minister. Gauke - knows his way round the finances (ex-Chief Sec); Brokenshire has a bit of knowledge about CT and the like from his NI portfolio; Javid would be a bit left of field, but knows his way about the byeways of the Treasury.

That would clear the way for a junior minister to come up into a lower-ranking cabinet portfolio, with JRM getting on the ladder that way, perhaps. Would imagine that we'll know who in fairly short order, though.

Good f***ing riddance.

That said, given the size of the hole in Defence Funding just now, I'd not be surprised if he hasn't taken advantage of circumstances to ditch a toxic appointment

Priti Patel for Defence; and if she wants an MA / PSO / bag carrier, I am but a phone call away........

That look on her face; when she saw me in my phys kit, that was.
"ditch a toxic appointment" I think that Its a sh*t job now

Latest Threads