Falling short

Juice

Swinger
"35 ALIS points from 7 subjects, at least grade C/4 in English Language, Maths and either Science or a foreign language" - one of the requirements for becoming an officer

I've got 32 ALIS points, and by the time I'm done with uni I will be 28 years old and no time to improve this score. I'm in pieces... I've been dreaming of this opportunity and training for it for quite some time, I've sort of overlooked this requirement until I've got my Lithuanian school education certificate translated, and its my own fault but damn it hurts bad.

Is this it for my dreams of becoming an officer? it doesn't matter if I get a 1st in my BSc Physiology and Pharmacology degree? I got Maths, English and Biology gcse's at C, and enough UCAS points to qualify.

This is a desperate cry for help and I already know that I'm out of the race of becoming a British officer, but has anyone ever heard of a case where an exception has been made, if all else was shining? I so don't want to just give up

"35 ALIS points from 7 subjects, at least grade C/4 in English Language, Maths and either Science or a foreign language" - one of the requirements for becoming an officer

I've got 32 ALIS points, and by the time I'm done with uni I will be 28 years old and no time to improve this score. I'm in pieces... I've been dreaming of this opportunity and training for it for quite some time, I've sort of overlooked this requirement until I've got my Lithuanian school education certificate translated, and its my own fault but damn it hurts bad.

Is this it for my dreams of becoming an officer? it doesn't matter if I get a 1st in my BSc Physiology and Pharmacology degree? I got Maths, English and Biology gcse's at C, and enough UCAS points to qualify.

This is a desperate cry for help and I already know that I'm out of the race of becoming a British officer, but has anyone ever heard of a case where an exception has been made, if all else was shining? I so don't want to just give up
Join the Reserves

Juice

Swinger
Join the Reserves
Excuse my lack of knowledge about the reserves, but - Don't they require the same qualifications for becoming an officer? Also, do they only train on weekends or are there some regiments that have full time personnel in the reserves?

Questions for the OP.

Does not a degree Trump the ALIS point score? Check with the recruiters
Do RAF & RN have the same criteria?
Consider something else. The Police will take any degree though you'll have to do a conversion diploma and the wages are dogshit for the first few years but the career progression is there if you want it.

Questions for the OP.

Consider something else. The Police will take any degree though you'll have to do a conversion diploma and the wages are dogshit for the first few years but the career progression is there if you want it.
That's what I would have thought, too. Can't think of any sensible body that would prefer GCSEs over a first. Oh, hang on, MoD + sensible body = I need to go have a lie down and to get a clue.

Juice

Swinger
Questions for the OP.

Gosh I hope it does, but I remember them mentioning that degree does not matter, will go and have a chat tomorrow.
Just checked out RAF regiment officer though, cut off age is 47 and they only want 5 subjects at C, meaning I would just need to get extra two. however, they want a 12 year commitment? is that legally binding? Wouldn't you be able to leave after 4 years if you don't like it?

Juice

Swinger
That's what I would have thought, too. Can't think of any sensible body that would prefer GCSEs over a first. Oh, hang on, MoD + sensible body = I need to go have a lie down and to get a clue.
I'm gonna go have chat tomorrow but I bet it's just gonna be a - 'computer says no situation'. Big green bureaucratic machine

The points are here, along with the telephone number: 0345 600 8080.

Dwarf

LE
Curious. What's the possibility nowadays of joining as a soldier then getting reccomended for officer via the regiment?

Juice

Swinger
Thank you everyone for your input, just got off the phone with a recruiting advisor. He said that in such minor cases applicants can still be accepted, depending on the intake needs etc. I'm so happy about that. Also RAF regimental officer entry requirments state that they will consider BSc diploma (2:2 minimmum) as an alternative to gcse's so that's another option, but since the cut-off age is very liberal - 47, think I might join Royal Marines as a solidier first, if I don't get into Sandhurst, and maybe then go off to become an officer if I still want to.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem in the future, cheers!

Thank you everyone for your input, just got off the phone with a recruiting advisor. He said that in such minor cases applicants can still be accepted, depending on the intake needs etc. I'm so happy about that. Also RAF regimental officer entry requirments state that they will consider BSc diploma (2:2 minimmum) as an alternative to gcse's so that's another option, but since the cut-off age is very liberal - 47, think I might join Royal Marines as a solidier first, if I don't get into Sandhurst, and maybe then go off to become an officer if I still want to.
Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem in the future, cheers!
You'll be 28 when you enlist, you said. The RM's might be doable but I think they'd be doubtful for you (fitness) at that age.

Regardless, best of British.

Juice

Swinger
You'll be 28 when you enlist, you said. The RM's might be doable but I think they'd be doubtful for you (fitness) at that age.

Regardless, best of British.
Will it help if I'm not doubtful? Been going gym and doing sprints/long distance runs almost every day for last couple of years. Fitness is the least of my worries, its all this eligibility business I've been loosing sleep over.
Alternatively, if I don't get in to Sandhurst, I'm thinking of going Royal Marine Commando. What are the opinions of those who have served, would they go Sandhusrt or Marine Commando given the choice?