FALLEN SAPPER

Hi

An old Uncle of mine was killed at Cassino during WW2.

He was with 221 Field Company, RE.

I am trying to find out a little bit more of what the unit was doing there, and even the Coy War Map Trace up until then, IE; where they were and what action they had seen prior.

I know that they were crossing the rivers for the various attempts to take the Mount, but i think i should find out a bit more than that, as he was never found and is on the memorial wall.

Just a bit of advice on who can/could be contacted please would be nice.

Many thanks in anticipation. :D

DB

Thanks, i have last night, just waiting out on a response !!

UK,

221 Fd Coy were part of 56 (Black Cat) Division.

The division were involved in the fighting on Monte Camino in the lead up to Cassino, then in the crossing of the Garigliano to the south of Cassino (near Castelforte) in Battle 1.

I'm not sure what Bde 221 supported, but I'll look in the Corps History today. If you haven't read anything about Cassino, I recommend 'Monte Cassino - The Story of the Hardest Fought Battle of WW2' by Matthew Parker.

Is your uncle's name on the wall in the Cassino cemetery or the Minturno cemetery?

NASCH

Looking on the CWGC website it says Panel 3, Cassino Memorial.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Sgt_Angry said:
UK,

found this link about 221 fd coy, hope it helps with some background.

http://www.roymiddleton.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

Sgt Angry
Sgt Angry

That link was awesome, sadly the old boy passed away in January, this has been on a 'to do' list for a few years now, sometimes you just need aright good kick up the arris, thanks loads.