Fall In' - Skydive for ABF The Soldiers' Charity

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by ExtremeFundraiser, May 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tough enough? Prove it!

Tandem skydive with the Army's own Tigers Freefall Parachute Display Team and raise much-needed funds for ABF The Soldiers' Charity, supporting soldiers, former soldiers and their families. Join one of our charity jump days this season - raise the minimum sponsorship and you can jump for free.

2. Before I look at the website, do I have to get a certain amount of sponsorship before I can do the skydive? To clarify, before I can jump out the plane, do I have to have reached a certain target of monetary pounds?
  3. Did you read the opening post?
  4. Nope, as soon as I saw the title I thought it would be another of those cons where you have to raise a certain amount (which will go to the company not charity) before being allowed to jump. After reading it, looks like I am right.
  5. The minimum sponsorship we ask our supporters to raise is £400 - and we ask that you raise at least half of this figure pre-jump, with the option to collect the rest after you've completed the challenge.
  6. So who does that £400 go to?
  7. ABF The Soldiers' Charity - we partner with the Tigers each year to conduct tandem skydives as an extreme fundraising challenge. The reason we ask supporters to raise a minimum of £400 is that this figure covers your jump fees (a reduced rate of £160 thanks to our ongoing partnership) with the Tigers and the Airfield (we normally jump at the Army air base at Netheravon) and allows the rest to go direct to soldiers, former soldiers and their families in need. We always encourage our supporters to raise as much as they can - some reach 4 figures for a tandem skydive, which is amazing - but £400 acts as a solid minimum in our experience.
  8. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just for clarification, ExtremeFundraiser, is a representative of ABF The Soldiers' Charity so they don't come more legit than this.
  9. Thanks Bad CO, appreciate your support!
  10. I see, so if I understand correctly, £160 of the £400 that I raise for charity goes to pay for the jump. In other words, if I raise £400 by telling people I am doing a charity jump, £160 of that money raised for charity is not actually for charity. So to that effect, you are getting me to lie about the money I am raising.
  11. That may be so, but part of the money that I raise for charity is to be used to pay for the jump. So those people that put in the £160 (as we understand it) so that people would benefit, will actually be paying for the jump. That is fraudulent.
  12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

You seem to have all the answers mate, have you considered offering your time to the ABF to assit them in the work they do or are you content to scoff at the side lines?

I think anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows that the cost of the jump is included, its a fantastic revenue opportunity for charitable organisations, it also gets people off their arses to do something. A win for everyone.

What would you suggest as an alternative?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Yep, if its charitable, then all the money should go to charity. My mum does a lot of charity work and organises a lot of things and facilities are given free. Thats why it is charitable.

Can't really give my time to the ABF as I am not in the UK and on top of that I disagree with this way of getting money.
  14. Sponsoring me for my threesome with Christina Hendricks & Stacey Silver :wink:
  15. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

And how long do you think the charity would last on the revenue raised by your mum.

Nice thought but you are away with the fairies if you believe any chairty could last longer than a weekend with that approach and outlook.