Falklands

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Suedehead, Nov 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Off to the Falklands in Jan as the RIC, first time deploying (pass out of Catterick in 2 weeks) ...anyone been before that knows of any gear that will come in handy out there???

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Beer tokens

3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Penguin repellant.

4. This should go down well with the locals.

Attached Files:

5. January is the height of summer down there, so you should be fine with what you've been issued. You may get a few other bits and bobs when you get there but I wouldn't waste any money.

6. A camera and a pair of binos, as there are only 2 things to do, get pissed or go birdwatching

7. Dunno if its changed but no cash point, so take plenty of cheque books

8. Jan - Apr will be Summer - Autumn equivalent.

Your standard issue kit will do well, but, some better waterproof gloves are a must when you are on patrols. Footpowder is also handy, but should be available through your CQMS or at a push Med Centre.

Invest in a dry bag for your bergan. When it rains, it rains horizontally and a wet doss bag is a nightmare.

Other than that, be prepared for boredom and booze. (I doubt much has changed in the 15 years since I last went there).

9. Recently returned from a short detachment to MPA...... No Cash machines so cheque book,or use credit card to buy something in NAAFI and get cash back. If you have a mobile with Vodafone,or O2 you might be able to get a locally purchased SIM card which will alow you to use your mobile. If you take a laptop you can purchase a WIFI card which will allow you to use your laptop in specific areas, Naffi bar by 12 fac reception and the cafe area by the cinema,bowling alley.

10. Spanish phrase book

11. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

hahahahaha I hope not Para regt are booked up untill March 2012 :wink:

12. Seal skin socks, or a big can of dubbin

13. Not such a bad idea, most of the cheap labour that used to be St Helenain has now been replaced by Chilean honies so if you can hablar you will stand a better chance than most.

14. My Bold. What a load of arrse! The only fit Chilean down here is the hairdresser! The majority of labourers are still from St Helena and lets face it, most are as fat as an elephant seal.

Onto the original post. I'd bring some sun cream. The is feck all ozone layer down here and you will get burnt out on patrol. Bring a laptop if you have one for the wifi - it's quicker than the welfare internet but it's certainly not broadband speed.

Edit for typo, but that's coz i'm still lashed from another crazy night at MPA. 8O

15. Agree with B.O.F. the "Female" hairdresser is fit............. It is also a change to see the Trolly dollies in civies,but it is like "Bees round a honey pot"......