Falklands.

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by charlesp, Jan 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The History fo the Parachute Regiment has always interested me. If I meet their standards, i will be joining them very soon. I have recently been reading a lot of books on the Falklands war.

I would be very interested in any photos, websites etc that anyone can share with me. I am particuarly interested in the battles of the Parachute Regiment but any photos of the land, the taskforce etc would be much appreciated.

I would like to get a broader view of what the objectives looked like, possibly aerial photos etc.

Charles.

2. I have a great deal of time for the Paras.However,it seems to be -generally-forgotten that Sappers also died at Goose Green

3. If we're doing the cap badge thing, let's not forget Lt Jim Barry of the Royal Signals, shot while moving forward to accept surrender.

4. just look at the memorial on sapper hill, even I didn't know that many died in the conflict.

5. Military history - DVD's very informative, check out http://dvdrental.cd-wow.com/ were you can rent them for free for your first month. Line of fire DVDs have the chaps from Sandhurst talking about it if you want to find out more. After all a picture paints a thousand words

Blurb on THE FALKLANDS WAR - A MILITARY HISTORY

twentieth anniversary commemorative overview of the Falklands War made with the cooperation of the MOD. Featuring archive footage, battle reconstructions and comments from some of the British and Argentine servicemen involved.

Starring: Alex Manning, Johnathon Booth (Pres/Narr)
    Runtime: 93
    Certificate: Unrated
    Aspect Ratios: 4:3
    Sound Formats: Dolby Digital Stereo
    DVD Release Date: 14th Jun 2004
    Soundtrack Languages: English
    Studios: Cromwell Productions

Genre(s): • Documentary > Documentaries Military > Regional War

6. Military history - DVD's very informative, check out http://dvdrental.cd-wow.com/ were you can rent them for free for your first month. Line of fire DVDs have the chaps from Sandhurst talking about it if you want to find out more. After all a picture paints a thousand words

Blurb on THE FALKLANDS WAR - A MILITARY HISTORY

twentieth anniversary commemorative overview of the Falklands War made with the cooperation of the MOD. Featuring archive footage, battle reconstructions and comments from some of the British and Argentine servicemen involved.

Starring: Alex Manning, Johnathon Booth (Pres/Narr)
    Runtime: 93
    Certificate: Unrated
    Aspect Ratios: 4:3
    Sound Formats: Dolby Digital Stereo
    DVD Release Date: 14th Jun 2004
    Soundtrack Languages: English
    Studios: Cromwell Productions

Genre(s): • Documentary > Documentaries Military > Regional War

7. I have some photos of the Para memorial at Goose Green, the trenches, the spot where H was killed, the Argy Cemetrey, and the 505 memorial at MPA where 2 AAC and 2 Signals blokes were shot down in a scout by HMS Suffolk.

You should get down there for a look. lovely place - like the North York Moors without the Trees.

Rincewind

8. I believe that the 3 CBAS Scout lost at Goose Green on 28 May 82 was actually the only Argentine air-air kill of the war when Scout XT629 was engaged and shot down by a Pucara flown by Ten Giminez. The Scout pilot, Lt Richard Nunn RM was killed instantly, his gunner (Sgt Belcher RM) survived despite severe injuries.

The RN Blue on Blue was against Gazelle XX377 on 6 Jun 82.

Regards,
    M2

9. HMS Suffolk ? The last time we had one of those was in WW2. Antrim and Glamogan were in the Falklands. Neither had anything to do with this incident.

10. not sure as i grow older, but was there not a gazelle shot down by a pucara, we lost a maj, and a ssgt(r.signals) on that one

11. C2,
    The definitive account of the Falklands Air Campaign is considered to be 'Falklands: The Air War' by Rodney Burden, Michael Draper, Douglas Rough, Colin Smith and David Wilton (ISBN 0-85368-842-7). The following data is from that superbly researched publication.

The only air-air kill of the Argies in 82 (Pucara or otherwise) was the Scout XT629.

I suspect the Gazelle loss you mention was indeed XX377 of 656 Sqn on 6 Jun 82 and flown by SSgt C A Griffin and L/Cpl S J Cockton. The Gazelle had departed Goose Green on 5 Jun to drop RSigs personnel off on Mt Pleasant Peak to establish a REBRO stn between 5 Inf Bde and 2 Para. After flying forward and establishing the stn, the Gazelle returned to Goose Green. However, by 0200Z on 6 Jun, the stn had stopped functioning so the RSigs CO (Maj M Forge) requested a Gazelle to take himself and SSgt Baker forward with spares and fuel. XX377 was again tasked and, with the same crew, departed Goose Green at 0350Z. Sadly, at 0408Z 2 miles south of Mt Pleasant Peak while flying at between 70 and 200ft, it was hit by a missile in the rear fusulage/fenestron area. All 4 occupants were killed instantly in the subsequent crash.

Subsequent analysis suggested that the missile involved was a Sea Dart. Although the Argentine Navy had Sea Dart equipped Type 42 destroyers, none were outside of Argentine territorial waters at the time. However, HMS Cardiff reported firing 2 Sea Darts at an unidentified, low and slow contact moving east towards Fitzroy early on 6 Jun 82. It is therefore likely that the Gazelle was destroyed by Cardiff.

This is no criticism of the RN. Sadly one of those tragic incidents that can happen to any service, particlarly when operating systems and weapons designed for a completely different war.

RIP. :cry:

As Mussolini states, there was no HMS Suffolk in RN service at the time.

Regards,
    M2

12. Agree with the posters who say that HMS Suffolk was not down south in 1982.

Notwithstanding the 1926-1948 (ish) HMS Suffolk, the most recent HMS Suffolk was fiction, in the fcuking awful 'Making Waves'. It was played by HMS Grafton. No more a Royal Navy warship than James Bond is a Commander RN.

Rincewind, report to me for dog watch instruction on RN history! :wink: