Falklands..What images Stick in your mind?

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by armies, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today marks 25 years since the end of the Falklands conflict.

What images from the news reels stick in your mind the most?

For me it was the footage of a lad being carried on a stretcher with a limb missing.

The other one is the footage of two battle hardened paras, wearing cam cream and berets followed by a picture of the smouldering goose green.
  2. Capt Chris Dent 2ic of C Compnay - a great and good man. RIP
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Atlantic Conveyer... was a teenager when the Falklands conflict occured and remember seeing the imagery of that ship being evacuated and wondering why we hadn't dispatched a carrier or three to back your forces up and rain hell on the Argentinians. Obviously this was before I understood the nature of geopolitics...

4. This too,was the most shocking picture I saw, I was a student at the time and this was during exams so didn't have time to see the limited coverage that was available.
    I am sure that around 1983/84 I saw a BBC program where the guy on the stretcher (RN, I seem to remember) was reunited with a shipmate who thought he had died and was guilt-ridden as a result of surviving unscathed.I was amazed he survived as was sure the shock of the injury would have killed so great crdit to those who tended him.
  5. The History Channel have been showing programmes about the Falklands all week, on one they interviewed Rick Jolly, where he stated that he had personally performed 14 major operations on seriously injured personnel that day alone and had not lost one, even though he was working in a filthy shed. This was a old ice factory on the Island. It also showed the taking of Goose Green and an interview with Chris Keeble, who led 2 Para after H Jones died, f@@kin' outstanding performance by 2 Para at the time.

6. Watched two brilliant programmes last night, one detailing Simon Weston's escape and recovery, and another showing the restoration of a Vulcan and giving detail on the Black Buck raids.

I wasn't born until three years and a week after Port Stanley surrendered, and i try to spend a lot of time learning what happened in this (Sometimes underreported) conflict.
  7. just bought "Vulcan 607" its about the Vulcan and the black buck raids. jeremy clarkson rates it so im gonna give it a go! funny enough like most things at the time Vulcan was about to be scrapped by maggie so the falklands were a mixed blessing really i guess.
  8. For me the image that sticks in my mind is the picture of the soldier carrying
    the Union Flag on his back, and tabbing off into the distance.

The image of that soldier is now en-grained into my memory.
    It has since been used in news footage, pretty much on every Falklands

Question...Did that soldier make it through the Conflict?
    And is he still alive?

Attached Files:

9. Yes, the photographer did a programme on South To-day recently and the image has been made into a statue somewhere. His ex was in the papers not too long ago ago slagging him off, shame really.
  10. For me too it's the footage of the guy on the stretcher with what's left of his leg held aloft - at just 10 years old it was those harsh images that helped define my patriotism. Also the RM with the flag.

And this, the Canberra returning home, tired and bit rusty but jubilant.

11. He was a marine made it through photo was taken after the surrender .
    Not even royal would want to put a effing great target on them if someone was shooting at them .Got a huge statue outside royal marine museaum
    on southsea seafront depicting him.

12. That photo was taken on the way to Port stanley, after the surrender of the Argentian forces. Thats where the units regrouped and marched through the town in front of the relieved and thankful residents.
  13. Mne Pete Robinson, taken by Mne Holdgate on the march into Stanley.
  14. Sorry to be pedantic the Arentines surrendered on the 14th June, the image that sticks in my mind was sailing into Stanley harbour and thinking we sailed 8000 miles for lego land but what a reception from the islanders, they welcomed us into their homes & their lives I am still in contact with a family from then to this day.
    • Like Like x 1