Falklands War - The Untold Story

Camm1

LE
In the BBC film the 2 Para Plt Cmdr (Waddinston) is said to be 'about19' was he actually that age or was it a generalisation about everyone looking v young.

chimera

LE
I find it hard to criticise the overall intent/effort, but easy to find holes in the execution (eg Lt Barry).

Precedence.

All over the place. Should be (broadly) RN/RM, although they have their own plaque, it seems.
Then Army (RE, R SIGNALS, SG, WG, 7 GR, PARA, ACC, SAS, AAC, RAMC, REME). Then RAF, then Civilian.

Indentation.

Unit title of 2 PARA is not indented. All other units in the first column are.
Second column, no unit title indentation issues, but it seems the left alignment is off.
Third column, REME is indented, other units are not. But not uniformly left-aligned.

Unit titles.

PARA Regt is divided into which Bns, but other units not. Less 216 PARA Sig Sqn and the RE Cdo and PARA units, but not the other RE/R SIGNALS units, for example. ACC/AAC/REME/RAMC units not called out at all.

Capitalisation.

Rank titles of “Capt” and “CAPT” appear. Guardsman and Craftsman are spelled out in full, but mixed case, whereas “MAJOR” is capitalised.

Again, a sterling effort to commemorate those that gave all, but not very well executed, I’m sorry to say, so pleased to hear that it is being re-done.
On the Sapper list of names:

Spr "Tabard" should be spelt "Tarbard" and Cpl McIlvenny is spelt with a capitalised I. Both of them were from 20 Fd Sqn RE.
SSgt Prescott from 33 Engr Regt (EOD) was awarded a Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM) which is not annotated.
Some of the Sappers are noted as being 59 Cdo (which should be 59 Indep not IND Cdo Sqn RE, although neither Spr Gandhi or Spr Jones who were both 59 are annotated as such.

Apart from that it is fine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

Some interesting links in this article including one on changes Changes in the Care of the Battle Casualty: Lessons Learned from the Falklands Campaign,

rmn

LE

Some interesting links in this article including one on changes Changes in the Care of the Battle Casualty: Lessons Learned from the Falklands Campaign,
Ain't you got no work to do?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
216 Parachute Signal Squadron

216 Parachute Signal Squadron didn't exist in 1982 either according to Para Data. Disappeared in 1977 when 16 Parachute Brigade was disbanded in 1977 with the title not being reinstated until 1991.
Pretty sure it did exist in 82, certainly was about in 80, although it may have been part of 6th Field Force so renamed possibly. My memory isn't what it was.

Pretty sure it did exist in 82, certainly was about in 80, although it may have been part of 6th Field Force so renamed possibly. My memory isn't what it was.
Which is what the Para Date article statedl. There was a Parachute trained troop to support the in role Parachute battalion in 6th Field Force, but the title 216 Parachute Signals Sqn was lost in 1977 and reinstated in 1991 with the renaming of 5 Airborne Brigade HQ and Signal Sqn.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Which is what the Para Date article statedl. There was a Parachute trained troop to support the in role Parachute battalion in 6th Field Force, but the title 216 Parachute Signals Sqn was lost in 1977 and reinstated in 1991 with the renaming of 5 Airborne Brigade HQ and Signal Sqn.
See the bit re 1980, which is not.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ain't you got no work to do?

That was posted at lunchtime.

Now, however, we've had a no show. The joys of a patient with dementia!

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
This evening, bumped into an old colleague of mine who is now happily retired and we had a couple drinks. Somehow the 40th anniversary of the end of the Falklands War came up and I mentioned to him how we are still finding out new things about that conflict.

He smiled and said, "Roberto Calvi - the last casualty of the Falklands War".

I suspect he was pulling my leg but I am beginning to wonder now. Calvi was found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge in London three days after the end of hostilities.

JJWRacing

Old-Salt
There were 2 RLD's 565 and 566 who support the Para Bn's and two TACP's 613 and 614. In Nov 1983, the brigade was renamed 5AB Bde and the signal sqn was 205, only in 1991 was it changed to 216

Morning All,
Forty years ago today. From the local 'comic'. Probably the last one.
20220624_134402.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Very powerful stories, and it should be compulsive viewing for all who were serving at that time, I’d think.

I have massive respect for all those who opened up to the interviewer, who got it spot on.

Edit: this is it, for anyone who wants the link. Our Falklands War: A Frontline Story
Extraordinary. Very moving, particularly if you had any connection or involvement. Amazing people involved in the interviews some of whom have not quite gained closure and maybe never will.

Philip Neame stood out for me - extraordinary bloke.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Extraordinary. Very moving, particularly if you had any connection or involvement. Amazing people involved in the interviews some of whom have not quite gained closure and maybe never will.

Philip Neame stood out for me - extraordinary bloke.

The telling one was the final question to Neame. Hit him hard and it showed.

rmn

LE
@rmn is better placed to comment on the long term effects.

But a fear of lightning and the smell of diesel/aviation fuel are not uncommon and remarked upon openly.
I'm off back home for few months at the end of July and will use that time to reflect and compose an appropriate / comprehensive response to this. Bear with me...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm off back home for few months at the end of July and will use that time to reflect and compose an appropriate / comprehensive response to this. Bear with me...

An ungentlemanly act is on Miplayer.

Out of sync and poor quality but it's there!

Yokel

LE
Just out of interest, when did Operation Corporate officially come to an end? Was a codename given to the ongoing defence of the islands, which included keeping a carrier on station until the Sapper had been able to extend the runway at Stanley to take RAF Phantoms?

@maritime your old mucker is there somewhere!

According to the Illustrious video, it was still Operation Corporate when she was heading down to the Falklands in July/August 1982 - so when was the operation considered to be completed? Perhaps when the air defence of the islands was taken over by the RAF, and there was no longer a need to keep a carrier down South, with the posture down South changing to that of a garrison?

Last edited:

Latest Threads