Falklands War - The Untold Story

For a human perspective, definitely the best documentary I have ever seen. Fair play to everyone of them for opening up.
Here is the link to the most recent documentary for anyone who’s missed it.

It really is gobsmacking and I’m speaking as a documentary geek as well as a bit of a falklands war geek. Also for anyone interested in psychology or ptsd.

I suspect there was a considerable backstory involved with setting up the interviews etc.

rmn

LE
Here is the link to the most recent documentary for anyone who’s missed it.

It really is gobsmacking and I’m speaking as a documentary geek as well as a bit of a falklands war geek. Also for anyone interested in psychology or ptsd.

I suspect there was a considerable backstory involved with setting up the interviews etc.

Annoyingly this is only avaliable in the UK so I'll have to wait until August to catch it.

Donny

ADC
Annoyingly this is only avaliable in the UK so I'll have to wait until August to catch it.

Ahem: Windscribe VPN(link)

I can vouch for the fact that a friend tells me this VPN is reasonably priced, works on Firesticks and will let you into UK on-demand/catch-up tv services including I-Player from all the countries I’ve he’s tried it so far.

rmn

LE
Ahem: Windscribe VPN(link)

I can vouch for the fact that a friend tells me this VPN is reasonably priced, works on Firesticks and will let you into UK on-demand/catch-up tv services including I-Player from all the countries I’ve he’s tried it so far.
I'm back in the UK for a few months soon so I should have time to view it at some point, in between avoiding all the tasks Mrs RMN no doubt has lined up for me. Thanks for the information though.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There is an incidence of a CVR(T) commender jumping down off his vehicle and 'bedding in' up to the knees. The vehicle had barely broken the crust.

We had precisely the right vehicle for the terrain, there. Plenty of people have in hindsight said we should've taken more.

That said, a lot of the terrain in the Falklands is so marginal (in terms of vehicles) that one reason so few were taken is that there were worries that even CVR(T) would struggle.
Anyone with an interest in CVR(T) who hasn't already done so should have a look at the excellent as always Haynes manual which was published earlier this year. There is a chapter on their use and superb performance in the Falklands.

Yokel

LE
Just out of interest, when did Operation Corporate officially come to an end? Was a codename given to the ongoing defence of the islands, which included keeping a carrier on station until the Sapper had been able to extend the runway at Stanley to take RAF Phantoms?

@maritime your old mucker is there somewhere!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Falklands plaque that was unveiled in Portsmouth has been removed because of a number of errors. It will be remade and replaced.
FB_IMG_1655945032642.jpg

Guardsman is never abbreviated?

A quick scan suggests a typo - 'Willie' Hatton QSM [sic] rather than QGM; there's failure to note Gavin (John) Hamilton's posthumous MC from Corporate, while Philip Currass had been awarded the QGM prior to 1982. I'm 99.9% sure that he was a Staff Sgt, too.

Jim Prescott, who was killed attempting to dispose of UXO aboard HMS Antelope, was awarded a posthumous Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, and that's not recorded.

And I think that Jim Barry is there twice - he was Royal Signals, but commanding 12 Platoon of 2PARA when he was killed

A quick scan suggests a typo - 'Willie' Hatton QSM [sic] rather than QGM; there's failure to note Gavin (John) Hamilton's posthumous MC from Corporate, while Philip Currass had been awarded the QGM prior to 1982. I'm 99.9% sure that he was a Staff Sgt, too.

Jim Prescott, who was killed attempting to dispose of UXO aboard HMS Antelope, was awarded a posthumous Conspicuous Gallantry Medal, and that's not recorded.

And I think that Jim Barry is there twice - he was Royal Signals, but commanding 12 Platoon of 2PARA when he was killed
216 Parachute Signal Squadron

216 Parachute Signal Squadron didn't exist in 1982 either according to Para Data. Disappeared in 1977 when 16 Parachute Brigade was disbanded in 1977 with the title not being reinstated until 1991.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer

There's also the Royal Amy Medical Corps and the inclusion of one of the RFA under civilians while his fellow RFA are under RFA on the Navy plaque

I find it hard to criticise the overall intent/effort, but easy to find holes in the execution (eg Lt Barry).

Precedence.

All over the place. Should be (broadly) RN/RM, although they have their own plaque, it seems.
Then Army (RE, R SIGNALS, SG, WG, 7 GR, PARA, ACC, SAS, AAC, RAMC, REME). Then RAF, then Civilian.

Indentation.

Unit title of 2 PARA is not indented. All other units in the first column are.
Second column, no unit title indentation issues, but it seems the left alignment is off.
Third column, REME is indented, other units are not. But not uniformly left-aligned.

Unit titles.

PARA Regt is divided into which Bns, but other units not. Less 216 PARA Sig Sqn and the RE Cdo and PARA units, but not the other RE/R SIGNALS units, for example. ACC/AAC/REME/RAMC units not called out at all.

Capitalisation.

Rank titles of “Capt” and “CAPT” appear. Guardsman and Craftsman are spelled out in full, but mixed case, whereas “MAJOR” is capitalised.

Again, a sterling effort to commemorate those that gave all, but not very well executed, I’m sorry to say, so pleased to hear that it is being re-done.

I find it hard to criticise the overall intent/effort, but easy to find holes in the execution (eg Lt Barry).

Precedence.

All over the place. Should be (broadly) RN/RM, although they have their own plaque, it seems.
Then Army (RE, R SIGNALS, SG, WG, 7 GR, PARA, ACC, SAS, AAC, RAMC, REME). Then RAF, then Civilian.

Indentation.

Unit title of 2 PARA is not indented. All other units in the first column are.
Second column, no unit title indentation issues, but it seems the left alignment is off.
Third column, REME is indented, other units are not. But not uniformly left-aligned.

Unit titles.

PARA Regt is divided into which Bns, but other units not. Less 216 PARA Sig Sqn and the RE Cdo and PARA units, but not the other RE/R SIGNALS units, for example. ACC/AAC/REME/RAMC units not called out at all.

Capitalisation.

Rank titles of “Capt” and “CAPT” appear. Guardsman and Craftsman are spelled out in full, but mixed case, whereas “MAJOR” is capitalised.

Again, a sterling effort to commemorate those that gave all, but not very well executed, I’m sorry to say, so pleased to hear that it is being re-done.
Also the JNCO ranks should be LCpl, Cpl etc, not capitalised. And the WO2 ranks seem to have a smaller ‘2’.

Sorry for being picky but as Roadster states above no criticism of the intent and glad it is being amended.

Bluenose2

War Hero
I know it's bad form to criticise memorials etc, but personally I find that quite shameful. To have such shoddy worksmanship on something so important goes beyond excusable human error to downright disrespect for those who fell.

At the point where someone spotted that they'd engraved "Royal Amy Medical Corps" it should have been binned and re-done, even 'just' for the memory of the two men from what unit.

Likewise 'Gurka'.

JJWRacing

Old-Salt
LCpl Lightfoot for one was 264 SAS Signal Sqn, and there are at least 2 others who were killed in the Sea KIng crash from 264, Forge and Baker were in 205 Sig Sqn of 5 Inf Bde, they were originally in 216 of 16 Para Bde (which is why they were winged up), then 216 was in limbo until 1991, however the Regt always called the Sigs 216, Lt Barry was RSigs but he was on secondment to 2 Para, ie he wore Para Regt insignia.

Out interest, Forge and Baker have a trophy named after them presented each year to the 216 Sqn soldier of the year. All three names are read out from the book of rememberance during the annual Church Service held in St Vincent Church in Caythorpe, Welcome to Caythorpe and the<br>14th century Church of St. Vincent. | St Vincents Church this Church is dedicated to Airborne Signallers.

Also seems to be short of a few capbadges.

These things happen. My great uncle appears twice on the memorial wall in Middlesbrough but I doubt that anyone outside the family would notice.

Latest Threads