Falklands War Myths

I don't know if it is on here or if on another Forum, but I have seen a massive thread in which some Argentinian insists that the Invincible was sunk and a replacement was built within two years. He provides all kinds of "evidence", including video from a game I think, and completely disregards anything to the contrary, including US dock workers who state with confidence that there is no way they could build a foreign carrier from scratch in anything less than 5 years or something. His reply was "yes you can"
Its on about 50 forums and its the same 3 or 4 accounts - its what I was alluding to.

The issue isn't really could they build it in less than 5 years (they could the QE could have been done in years without Browns economics) its could you build a 20 000 tonne warship in absolute secret and without any body noticing.

FFS every job has small difficulties.
Pilot 1: Ah, Fritz, how does she handle?
Pilot 2: Pretty good. I found I could balance a glass of beer on my oxygen mask, while I was flying it in a slowww roll.
P1: Really.
P2: Well it did spill a bit on the first try. Air turbulence, actually.
P1: Still it`s not bad.
P2: Yes. I could go into a loop, light a cigarette, peel a banana and thread a needle at twenty five thousand feet.
P1: Hmmm.
P2: Go into a dive, do the three card trick, write my name backwards, catch a peanut in my mouth and juggle my eyeballs from one socket to the other.
P1: Sounds like a pretty nifty kite.
P2: I've seen worse.

I was once part of a team that misidentified an A380 at walking speed in a Hanger.

They had moved the aircraft over the weekend - it want until we got aboard we noticed things were very different with lots missing - a quick check outside revealed a different registration and more embarrassingly an entirely different colour scheme. A multi coned walk of shame ensued
Doing an A/F about a week after being signed off as competent I was left with a 'Remove Before Flight' flag in my hand and was staring at the jet somewhat perplexed. My mate the liney then said "Where's the farking port Fletcher?"

The jockey, our tame USMC exchange Captain commented "I thought I felt something over Hawick." It had of course hit the only prize ram on the hill.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know if it is on here or if on another Forum, but I have seen a massive thread in which some Argentinian insists that the Invincible was sunk and a replacement was built within two years. He provides all kinds of "evidence", including video from a game I think, and completely disregards anything to the contrary, including US dock workers who state with confidence that there is no way they could build a foreign carrier from scratch in anything less than 5 years or something. His reply was "yes you can"
All propaganda, I'm afraid. Invincible had one of those Philidelphia Project hush-hush bits of kit fitted. It dematerialized just before impact, replacing the actual ship with a hologram, and leading to Invincible popping back into existence 2 years later in Portsmouth. It's pretty easy to see why the poor guy got confused.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
All propaganda, I'm afraid. Invincible had one of those Philidelphia Project hush-hush bits of kit fitted. It dematerialized just before impact, replacing the actual ship with a hologram, and leading to Invincible popping back into existence 2 years later in Portsmouth. It's pretty easy to see why the poor guy got confused.
And thus how myths are born...

HarryBosch

War Hero
And while we're on the topic ... @alfred_the_great said "And before we get all excited about having to re-fight the Falklands Conflict, let us not forget that only 2 of the 8 Infantry Battalions actually walked the full distance between San Carlos and Stanley. Both of those Battalions had passed arduous courses.

True. 45 Cdo and 3 Para did the yomp/tab but the picture of the helo lift for e.g. 42 hides certain facts.

K & L Companies of 42 cdo were helo lifted in support of SF and suffered terribly on Kent for several days with no bergans and no food in awful wet, windy sub-zero temperatures. My troop, sans sleeping bags, but extra 7.62 link, 81mm, etc flew into Darwin/Goose Green on the night of 28th May as battlefield replacements for the expected final assault.

When we finally left GG it was by helo but the weather kicked in (see above). Dropped off in poor weather, again laden with ammo, we spent about 2 days and nights struggling to yomp toward Mt Kent/Challenger in thick fog, wind and rain. As we struggled across the rock runs we fell over and lifted ourselves up so many times that not even the local NP8901 lads knew where we were. We were lost and in deep shit. A hastily convened O group on the second day (Officers and NCOs) had us agreeing that in the fog, with poor comms, we were in danger of engaging or being engaged by both blue and red forces. In the end the boss asked for friendly fire to help us get our bearings - cue a round of 105. Thank ****. That night, somewhere on a rock run, we shivered in the dark in all round defence, finally stumbling off next morning toward Mt Kent/Challenger, where we waited another couple of days for food and our bags. Next stop, patrolling around Challenger and Wall and then Mt Harriet.

All the best for 2016.

Edited to add the SF ref and to remove the kind of dig best left for the NAAFI forum. Sorry, meant ton say 45 Cdo and 3 Para . 2 Para were at Darwin/GG.

Last edited:
The Falklands war was staged on Otterburn, it was a CIA false flag operation to draw attention off secret UFO bases in the Antarctic, anyone who says they were there has been brainwashed by secret rays, all the soldiers were given drugged egg bango's before boarding the ships, which sailed round in circles for weeks.

Or something.

Not mine mate google Argentinian aircraft attack HMS Coventry and up she pops
Photographer appears to be unknown.
Thanks, I'll steal it then.

Not mine mate google Argentinian aircraft attack HMS Coventry and up she pops
Photographer appears to be unknown.
Via web
"Lt Bell Davis took the photo from Broadsword. There were 4 aircraft split up into 2 pairs, 2 attacked Broadsword and 2 attacked Coventry moments apart. I also have an original photo scanned and uploaded onto www.hmsbroadsword.co.uk One of the bombs dropped seconds after this photo missed me by about 10ft."

Edit...and this forum
Low Flying BUFF | Page 3 | Army Rumour Service

Via web
"Lt Bell Davis took the photo from Broadsword. There were 4 aircraft split up into 2 pairs, 2 attacked Broadsword and 2 attacked Coventry moments apart. I also have an original photo scanned and uploaded onto www.hmsbroadsword.co.uk One of the bombs dropped seconds after this photo missed me by about 10ft."

Edit...and this forum
Low Flying BUFF | Page 3 | Army Rumour Service
In that case do you have contact details for the owner? The reason I would like it is that I recently did a UXO clearance task on Funafuti, Tuvalu. It was very difficult to get it across to people that when the Japans attacked the atol the Septics put up a wall of AA fire, most of which fell into the lagoon as either frag or UXO. That pic demonstrates the fall of shot into water - and that was at 2 a/c, the Septics had 70 ships as well as shore based arty firing at 20 or so aircraft, again and again. The stuff they were firing was everything from SAA, through 20mm HE, 30mm, 37mm, 40mm, right up to 5". The consensus of the blokes I was working with was that once something is fired it just disappears.

syrup

LE
In that case do you have contact details for the owner? The reason I would like it is that I recently did a UXO clearance task on Funafuti, Tuvalu. It was very difficult to get it across to people that when the Japans attacked the atol the Septics put up a wall of AA fire, most of which fell into the lagoon as either frag or UXO. That pic demonstrates the fall of shot into water - and that was at 2 a/c, the Septics had 70 ships as well as shore based arty firing at 20 or so aircraft, again and again. The stuff they were firing was everything from SAA, through 20mm HE, 30mm, 37mm, 40mm, right up to 5". The consensus of the blokes I was working with was that once something is fired it just disappears.

Offtopic but for @eodmatt

Attack: A Nakajima B6N Tenzan torpedo bomber, known to the Allies as "Jill", flies through anti-aircraft fire during a battle in the Truk Islands

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335607/Worlds-biggest-ship-graveyard-Tropical-waters-South-Pacific-hide-haunting-wreckage-World-War-II-battle-left-60-Japanese-warships-rusting-lagoon-floor.html#ixzz3w47AXeZi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Home
Looks like IWM now has the copyright
It has a share and reuse option on that page

Offtopic but for @eodmatt

Attack: A Nakajima B6N Tenzan torpedo bomber, known to the Allies as "Jill", flies through anti-aircraft fire during a battle in the Truk Islands

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2335607/Worlds-biggest-ship-graveyard-Tropical-waters-South-Pacific-hide-haunting-wreckage-World-War-II-battle-left-60-Japanese-warships-rusting-lagoon-floor.html#ixzz3w47AXeZi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Thanks, even better!

Latest Threads