Falklands War Myths

Avenger, one of the 21s. Four Skyhawks inbound on her, Exeter splashed one with Sea Dart, Avenger was engaging another with the 4.5" and it crashed. Exeter claimed a double kill (debris and frag from the Dart engagement), Avenger reckoned she got it with gunfire, but it definitely went in.

The other two pressed their attack on Avenger, missing her but returning to base triumphantly claiming to have hit and crippled HMS Invincible.
Now come on - we all know they sank Invincible and a replacement was built secretly in the US.
Its because Invincible was sunk that the Australians changed their mind about buying one.
Proofs is they covered up HMS Dasher Sinking

* Like all good Tin foil stories this one includes massive leaps of faith and a wilful disregard of inconvenient facts.
don't forget to toss in strawmen such as - So you are calling the pilots cowards and Liars

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
I may have read that all the first rapiers unloaded were old models with no I/R & just did not work?
No rapier has IR

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Yup difficulty in setting up due to transportation and handling issues allegedly!
Rapier FSC has an IR capability but B1/B2 was just radar not sure if the DN 181 was available in the war, Rapier missiles are very basic, as in pre 1970 technology

IIRC there was a Pucara in 1(F)'s hanger at Wittering and one of the RAF Auggie Sqns at Waddington was equiped with captured bofors
Sky something or other (guard?) was a radar system used to aim the aforementioned bofors .

The rag ended up using it as a giant speed trap to make sure its pilots weren't upsetting people living in valleys.

Sky something or other (guard?) was a radar system used to aim the aforementioned bofors .

The rag ended up using it as a giant speed trap to make sure its pilots weren't upsetting people living in valleys.
I knew the RAF WO on one of the captured systems - Skyguard sort of sounds familiar. He said they had 5 people to run the convoy of trucks and operate it. Had the shock of their lives when doing an exercise with their Yank National Guard oppos and a shed load of Hercs, plus about 130 blokes, dropped in to do the same job.

Rapier FSC has an IR capability but B1/B2 was just radar not sure if the DN 181 was available in the war, Rapier missiles are very basic, as in pre 1970 technology
They were then also 'hittiles' rather than 'missiles'. They have a proximity fuse now though I think.

I knew the RAF WO on one of the captured systems - Skyguard sort of sounds familiar. He said they had 5 people to run the convoy of trucks and operate it. Had the shock of their lives when doing an exercise with their Yank National Guard oppos and a shed load of Hercs, plus about 130 blokes, dropped in to do the same job.
Saffies had an awfully bad incident with their Skyguard a few years ago - quite a few killed in a ground role training accident as I recall.

Saffies had an awfully bad incident with their Skyguard a few years ago - quite a few killed in a ground role training accident as I recall.
This one?
Oerlikon GDF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12 October 2007: Nine South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers were killed and 14 injured by the system during a training exercise at the SANDF Battle School at Lohatla in the Northern Cape province. A line of 8 cannons were engaging a tank hulk in manual ground fire with the guns at low elevation and the maximum traverse of the barrels secured by safety poles and tethers. The rightmost gun jammed while firing and had to be repaired by technicians. Shortly after the gun was cleared to fire again, the gun malfunctioned, entered automatic mode, broke through the traversal-restriction safety mechanisms and began firing, striking the other guns along the firing line. Initial reports suggested that the malfunction was caused when the gun underwent an unexplained hang fire of the explosive 35mm ammunition in the magazines, causing the turret to swing uncontrolled through 360-degrees firing wildly until it exhausted its remaining ammo. A statement issued by the South African Defense Minister Mosiuoa Lekota, however, stated that the gun had inexplicably traversed 90-degrees to the left, breaking through the safety mechanisms, and fired only a 1/8 second long burst, striking all of the soldiers located on the right hand side of their guns.[15][16] The accident report published by the SANDF in January 2008 blamed "undetected mechanical failure—which the manufacturers of an anti-aircraft gun allegedly kept secret". The report says the gun malfunctioned because a spring pin, which is the size of a matchstick, sheared. Other sources blamed poor training and safety procedures in the SANDF.[17]

It was sky guard.

Oerlikon GDF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't be silly - The one thing the Argentine pilots couldn't be called was cowards -

Liars is another argument - but I think genuinely mistaken then gulled by propaganda is probably fair
Misidentification is an age old problem. Own goals are quite common with plenty of time to do an assessment, let alone mistaking one ship for another, when flying on the deck at 450 knots through AA fire.

Misidentification is an age old problem. Own goals are quite common with plenty of time to do an assessment, let alone mistaking one ship for another, when flying on the deck at 450 knots through AA fire.
FFS every job has small difficulties.

FFS every job has small difficulties.
I was once part of a team that misidentified an A380 at walking speed in a Hanger.

They had moved the aircraft over the weekend - it want until we got aboard we noticed things were very different with lots missing - a quick check outside revealed a different registration and more embarrassingly an entirely different colour scheme. A multi coned walk of shame ensued

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't be silly - The one thing the Argentine pilots couldn't be called was cowards -

Liars is another argument - but I think genuinely mistaken then gulled by propaganda is probably fair
I don't know if it is on here or if on another Forum, but I have seen a massive thread in which some Argentinian insists that the Invincible was sunk and a replacement was built within two years. He provides all kinds of "evidence", including video from a game I think, and completely disregards anything to the contrary, including US dock workers who state with confidence that there is no way they could build a foreign carrier from scratch in anything less than 5 years or something. His reply was "yes you can"