Falklands War Myths

I may have read that all the first rapiers unloaded were old models with no I/R & just did not work?
Rapier didn't work for numerous reasons.

They didn't do to well being bounced around inside a ship for several weeks before hand, under slung underneath a helicopter and then expected to work.

Siting wasn't great. Rapiers great at shooting down something that's coming towards you or away from you. Not too great at shooting down some going left to right, or vice versa. Not rapiers fault as most missile systems aren't too great at engaging targets side on.

Thirdly, there was significant interference between rapier and RN radar systems.

Let's however also acknowledge the pilots of the Argentinian aircraft who did exactly what they needed to do not to be an easy target. ISTR that one of the most effective task force measures was a shed load of GPMGs and 1 in 3 tracer.

Last edited:
I may have read that all the first rapiers unloaded were old models with no I/R & just did not work?
The only ones I saw were made of cardboard...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Let's however also acknowledge the pilots of the Argentinian aircraft who did exactly what they needed to do not to be an easy target. ISTR that one of the most effective task force measures was a shed load of GPMGs and 1 in 3 tracer.
with the knowledge that their time on afterburners could be countess in seconds or they won't have enough fuel to get home

As a matter of interest, I always wondered about the fuel issue for aircraft - a single round through a fuel tank was reckoned to be enough to stop any jet reaching home.

Does anyone know how many aircraft ditched on the homeward journey through lack of fuel? I suspect not as many as imagined.

As a matter of interest, I always wondered about the fuel issue for aircraft - a single round through a fuel tank was reckoned to be enough to stop any jet reaching home.

Does anyone know how many aircraft ditched on the homeward journey through lack of fuel? I suspect not as many as imagined.
A single round through a fuel tank shouldn't have much effect. Don't know about fast jets but helos have self-sealing tanks.

A single round through an engine however...

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

At least one, maybe two, A-4s made it home on a tanker drag (basically plugged into the KC-130 most of the way) because they'd got enough holes in their wings that the fuel was leaking out as fast as the tanker was pumping it in.

At least one, maybe two, A-4s made it home on a tanker drag (basically plugged into the KC-130 most of the way) because they'd got enough holes in their wings that the fuel was leaking out as fast as the tanker was pumping it in.
I think it's fair to say the aircrew of both sides earned their flying pay during the campaign.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

They didn't do to well being bounced around inside a ship for several weeks before hand, under slung underneath a helicopter and then expected to work.

Siting wasn't great. Rapiers great at shooting down something that's coming towards you or away from you. Not too great at shooting down some going left to right, or vice versa. Not rapiers fault as most missile systems aren't too great at engaging targets side on.

Thirdly, there was significant interference between rapier and RN radar systems.

Couple of questions for those of you who were there regarding air defence , particularly at San Carlos and also at Fitzroy :
Would barrage balloons have worked to deter low flying attacking aircraft or would they have had the opposite effect , by actually providing a marker for the attackers ?
Did we even have any left by the 80's anyway ?
Secondly , would smoke dischargers have worked to blanket the ships , it was it simply too windy ?
Could the have been used to give the appearance that certain ships had already been hit ?
Or again , would a plume of smoke simply have guided the attacking aircraft to the target ?

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Couple of questions for those of you who were there regarding air defence , particularly at San Carlos and also at Fitzroy :
Would barrage balloons have worked to deter low flying attacking aircraft or would they have had the opposite effect , by actually providing a marker for the attackers ?
Barrage balloons might have distracted, but probably less than return fire. Yes they could have provided markers as they did over the D Day Beaches.

:
.Did we even have any left by the 80's anyway ?
No. Barrage balloons and passive protection from smoke fell out of use post WW2. Too manpower intensive and sod all use against ICBMs, rocket pods and radar guidance.

Secondly , would smoke dischargers have worked to blanket the ships , it was it simply too windy ?
Far too unpredictably windy.

No. Barrage balloons and passive protection from smoke fell out of use post WW2. Too manpower intensive and sod all use against ICBMs, rocket pods and radar guidance.
I think you'll find there were a few in service in 1982. I distinctly remember stepping off one at about 800 feet.,,

...and 'schermulys' (sic)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Sure one of the 42's claimed a hit with the 4.5
Avenger, one of the 21s. Four Skyhawks inbound on her, Exeter splashed one with Sea Dart, Avenger was engaging another with the 4.5" and it crashed. Exeter claimed a double kill (debris and frag from the Dart engagement), Avenger reckoned she got it with gunfire, but it definitely went in.

The other two pressed their attack on Avenger, missing her but returning to base triumphantly claiming to have hit and crippled HMS Invincible.

Latest Threads