Falklands War Myths

D

Deleted 60082

Argentina produces uranium oxide ( "yellowcake " ) and in the early 60's sold enough to Israel for them to produce their first bomb :
The Israel-Argentina Yellowcake Connection
Maybe this is why the Iranians first struck at the Jewish community in Argentina but now , two decades later , want to be friends with the most corrupt , least principled , greedy president in the entire history of Argentina ?
And she's giving her valedictory speech at the UN next week. Should be amusing...

Can anyone tell me where the raf regiment was deployed and a timeline for said deployments,cheers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Christmas Eve. Time to crack open the beer and popcorn, I think.

Can anyone tell me where the raf regiment was deployed and a timeline for said deployments,cheers.
63 Sqn (then equipped with Rapier) went down South as part of 5 Brigade. They finally came ashore at San Carlos on 29 May 82. At the ceasefire, they were redeployed to Stanley. There were a few other Atts and Dets, the most interesting one being Flt Lt Guy Bransby: service in Vietnam with the Aussies, married to a Chilean and then commissioned into the RAF Regiment. Because of his fluent S American Spanish, he played a good role during the negotiation and interrogation phase of the War and was present during the surrender negotiations.

Also managed to thieve Gen Menendez's top hat, an item that would have formed a part of Mario's formal attire as Governor General of Las Malvinas. Which was nice.

spaz

LE
When they'd finally got off the boat they set some Rapiers up on top of a big hill but failed to shoot anything down with them as they were firing down at their targets.

The RA managed a couple of Rapier kills though.

ugly

LE
Guy Bransby was an RA subby who became bored in BAOR and resigned joined the RNZRA and became an FOO with the Aussie battlegroup!
Very well written book!

Pizza face

Clanker
I haven`t read the whole of this thread
but the reason the Atlantic Conveyor
was hit was because it was the biggest
signature in terms of radar and also
to my knowledge didn`t deploy chaff
as did H.M.S Hermes

I haven`t read the whole of this thread
but the reason the Atlantic Conveyor
was hit was because it was the biggest
signature in terms of radar and also
to my knowledge didn`t deploy chaff
as did H.M.S Hermes
Ah. If you'd read the whole thread you would have found out that the Atlantic Conveyor being hit by anything is the real myth. A quick estimate of the weight of the material written off when it sank shows. that the keel must have cracked under the load. How it managed to get out of the harbour is the biggest mystery ...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads