Falklands War Myths

Now that Tony Blair has officially endorsed the Falklands War as a good thing perhaps its time to look at some of the spin of the time.

The big lie (possibly) was that Britain pulled off the whole operation itself. However some USAF Tanker crews that I met at the time insisted that they were involved, none of the histories I've read aknowledges this.
(Before you ask why I don't post this question on the RAF site, the answer is why bother, no one ever puts anything intersting up there, you might as well be reading the RAF News)

Another question concerns the loss of the Atlantic Conveyer. Some matelots I knew at the time said the Conveyor was actually sacrificed to save one of the carriers, when an exocet was spotted inbound the Conveyor was turned beam on to it so that the exocet would lock to it instead of the carrier.

NOW THAT BLAIR HAS BROUGHT IT TO THE WORLDS ATTENTION AGAIN WAIT FOR BUSH TO AUTHORISE A FILM ABOUT HOW THE YANKS TOOK THE ISLANDS..

sabrejet said:
Now that Tony Blair has officially endorsed the Falklands War as a good thing perhaps its time to look at some of the spin of the time.

The big lie (possibly) was that Britain pulled off the whole operation itself. However some USAF Tanker crews that I met at the time insisted that they were involved, none of the histories I've read aknowledges this.
(Before you ask why I don't post this question on the RAF site, the answer is why bother, no one ever puts anything intersting up there, you might as well be reading the RAF News)

Another question concerns the loss of the Atlantic Conveyer. Some matelots I knew at the time said the Conveyor was actually sacrificed to save one of the carriers, when an exocet was spotted inbound the Conveyor was turned beam on to it so that the exocet would lock to it instead of the carrier.
**** off i heard that the argies were using american contractors.

sabrejet said:
Christ, she would be quite a ship to be able to turn in the few seconds warning she would have against a exocet with a top speed of 315 m/s.

http://doncasterroverssupportersgroup.org/

Last edited:
Tiddle said:
sabrejet said:
Christ, she would be quite a ship to be able to turn in the few seconds warning she would have against a exocet with a top speed of 315 m/s.
And it was carrying all the chinooks other helicopters and weapons and important kit.

However some USAF Tanker crews that I met at the time insisted that they were involved, none of the histories I've read acknowledges this.
Think you've been had, KC-135s use flying booms to transfer fuel, RAF/RN use probe and drogue - it’s like trying to connect a parallel printer cable to a USB port. The USAF do have mod kits to allow probe/drogue refueling but none had been procured by 1982. the USN and Marines however do use the UK system which is why our knackered VC-10s and Victors were in demand during GW1

Well if an exocet has a range of 70km that gives it a flight time of 3.7 minutes

So how long does it take to turn a ship?

USAF normally uses booms for USAF but they can carry adaptors for drogues and the RAF can tank from them

And see this for Helli refuelling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_refueling

i read somewhere that:

maggie told the argies, that she would use the nukes that where loadong on our sub, and hit main land argieland,

also that 'THEY' where on mainland argieland...

we had the V-bombers fly into argie mainland airspace to prove we coulshit the mainland...

and even that the argies hit HMS. invincable, the only proof of this though was a computer animated video on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNhtrEeG2qs

i can believe the 1st two

sabrejet said:
The story I heard was that the Argentinians mistook Atlantic Conveyor for one of the carriers. IIRC they announced that they had sunk one of the carriers after the attack on Atlantic Conveyor.

Ancient_Mariner said:
sabrejet said:
The story I heard was that the Argentinians mistook Atlantic Conveyor for one of the carriers. IIRC they announced that they had sunk one of the carriers after the attack on Atlantic Conveyor.
IIRC they claimed to sunk half the RN ... or in today's terms ALL the RN.

Dago to**ers. Even Goebells was vaguely credible at times.

sabrejet said:
Well if an exocet has a range of 70km that gives it a flight time of 3.7 minutes

So how long does it take to turn a ship?

USAF normally uses booms for USAF but they can carry adaptors for drogues and the RAF can tank from them

And see this for Helli refuelling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_refueling
Vulcan 607 includes an account of the global search for scarce AAR parts some of which were found and recovered in a hurry from RAF a/c in US museums. I'm no aviator or rigger but don' you think that if the USAF had drogues that would fit V-Force probes then they must have had spare probes that could have been fitted to the V-Force?

I was told by a skimmer of the Herpes who was in Stanley with my in '83, that an inbound exocet aimed at the Herpes, was diverted by chaff and, because the Herpes was in front of the Atlantic Conveyer at the time, the exocet bypassed the Herpes and looked for the next biggest thing. You've guessed it! so it was nothing to do with sacrificing it whatsoever. Also, when Scot was txing, it jammed everything on the ship so they did not have enough time to warn the AC of the incoming, allegedly

Vulcan 607 includes an account of the global search for scarce AAR parts some of which were found and recovered in a hurry from RAF a/c in US museums. I'm no aviator or rigger but don' you think that if the USAF had drogues that would fit V-Force probes then they must have had spare probes that could have been fitted to the V-Force?[/quote]

I'm not too sure what you are driving at here, the museum search which was reported in the aviation press at the time was for Vulcan refuelling components.

The USAF has proudly advertised its ability to IFR helli's using probe and drogue since Vietnam, who knows they may even at times feel inclined to offer fuel to their own navy jets, they have the kit for it.

Anyway the point being that, (as a few of these posts show) Maggie quite rightly saw the need to make Britain think it had finally won one on its own. If she had to get the yanks to take a vow of silence in exchange for help in every other war that the US as been involved in since, well that was a small price to pay to get reelected.

But at least now the nasty liittle secret is out and we can all get back to normal and tell the yanks that they have to fight on their own from now on.

Ex crab told me that there was a US carrier group as backup if it all turned to sh*t? Also is it an urban myth about the U.S. navy cab that landed the British brass to meet the argie surrender party? seen once on the news apparently then footage "lost"

Think it was all done in a studio to fool the russkies........... :wink:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
datumhead said:
Ex crab told me that there was a US carrier group as backup if it all turned to sh*t? Also is it an urban myth about the U.S. navy cab that landed the British brass to meet the argie surrender party? seen once on the news apparently then footage "lost"

Think it was all done in a studio to fool the russkies........... :wink:
Now THERE'S a conspiracy theory for you! Falklands war never actually took place, it was done off the West coast of Scotland, and in the Brecons...
Why?
To get the tories re-elected....Its TRUE i tell you...

Uncle Sam provided us with free fuel for aircraft at Wideawake on Ascension, and probably ship fuel too (isn't it the same stuff?). There was never any AAR from US tankers to Brit a/c.

The whole Brit AAR was knocked up on the back of a fag packet one weekend and turned into the real thing in 3 weeks - something that you wouldn't see today, I'll wager. None of our C130s could refuel in flight at the time.

Remember that the new CO for 2 PARA (Chaundler) was dropped into the sea off the islands and picked up by a sub before being transferred ashore. He was the only pax in the cab - and it took a great deal of AAR to get the aircraft there and back.

Well anyone who doesn't think winning the Falklands didn't help Maggie get another few years must have slept thru it.

It did has much for Maggie's popularity as getting shot did for JFK

Latest Threads