Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Falklands War - HMS Argonaut

I see the QE2 is now resting and once again shiny, perhaps a few of you will have spent time on board during the Campaign
Queen Elizabeth 2 : : Home
I don't actually recall seeing much of the QE2 during the fighty bit. I remember the troops were cross-decked in South Georgia to the landing ships from the QE & distinctly remember seeing Canberra in Bomb Alley (San Carlos) but don't remember seeing the QE2 inside the TEZ.

I don't actually recall seeing much of the QE2 during the fighty bit. I remember the troops were cross-decked in South Georgia to the landing ships from the QE & distinctly remember seeing Canberra in Bomb Alley (San Carlos) but don't remember seeing the QE2 inside the TEZ.
"The Canberra cruises, where the QE II refuses"

I only saw Canberra in bomb alley (plus a lot of other grey fighty ships).

IIRC the QE II trooped Naval casualties back to the UK.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the troop accommodation ships immediately post-conflict?

Jeez, they were ropey. The Rangatira, followed by the floating accommodation that was later used as an overflow for UK prisons.

Jeez, they were ropey. The Rangatira, followed by the floating accommodation that was later used as an overflow for UK prisons.
Never get downwind of the rancid Rangatira's stern, holy stench! The other was a RoRo the "St. Edmund' from Folkstone IIRC. Mind you, the Edmund was not much better with a Battalion's worth of Gurhkas stinking up the car deck.

By the time I got there (late 84) they had three of those floaty things. "Coastels" IIRC. Very cramped accommodation. And microbore high pressure plumbing, so no sweet corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came across this link (shared on social media) yesterday:

https://www.spink.com/lot/9033228#

What struck me was the story behind the medal about events on Sir Galahad:

I came to the bottom of a stairwell and I saw two young Welsh Guardsmen. They obviously didn´t think they were going to make it out. They shook each others hands, pointed their rifles to each others head and pulled their triggers. There was nothing I could have done to stop them. It was their decision.

Troops and equipment were cross-decked from QEII at South Georgia by the five minesweeping trawlers of the 11th MCM Squadron; very much unsung heroes of the conflict.

QEII at South Georgia.jpg

The elderly Ton class coastal mine countermeasures vessels (MCMVs) in service at the time were unsuited for the long passage and heavy seas expected in the South Atlantic. The first two of the new Hunt Class MCMVs were not yet operational so it was decided to requisition five deep sea trawlers from Hull and fit them with rudimentary minesweeping equipment. These vessels were commissioned into the Royal Navy and crewed mostly by the ships' companies of Ton Class MCMVs based at Rosyth: CORDELLA (HMS UPTON); FARNELLA (HMS WOTTON); JUNELLA (HMS BICKINGTON); NORTHELLA (HMS SOBERTON); and PICT (HMS BILDESTON). They endured rough weather, unreliable machinery and lack of proper self-defence armament, communications and navigation systems. Sailing to and fro on their various often clandestine missions carrying stores and personnel in the dark, with radar switched off and all lights extinguished for security, they frequently ran the risk of being rammed or fired on by both enemy and friendly forces.

Apart from acting as guinea pigs in channels suspected of being mined and landing Special Forces raiding parties, they swept 10 of the 21 moored mines laid by the Argentinians in the approaches to Port Stanley; the other mines had either broken adrift and floated away or failed to deploy properly. Astonishingly, the relatively junior officer who welded the makeshift squadron together as an effective force, led it 8,000 miles south, supervised its hazardous operations and then brought it home again four months later without its ships or men sustaining a single casualty received no public recognition for his achievement.

Here's a piccie of the minesweeping trawlers of the 11th MCM Squadron at South Georgia cross-decking 5 Brigade personnel, stores and ammunition from QE2 to CANBERRA, NORLAND and the various RFAs shuttling between South Georgia, the Task Force at sea and the beachhead at San Carlos.

11th MCM trawlers crossdecking reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Troops and equipment were cross-decked from QEII at South Georgia by the five minesweeping trawlers of the 11th MCM Squadron; very much unsung heroes of the conflict.

The elderly Ton class coastal mine countermeasures vessels (MCMVs) in service at the time were unsuited for the long passage and heavy seas expected in the South Atlantic. The first two of the new Hunt Class MCMVs were not yet operational so it was decided to requisition five deep sea trawlers from Hull and fit them with rudimentary minesweeping equipment. These vessels were commissioned into the Royal Navy and crewed mostly by the ships' companies of Ton Class MCMVs based at Rosyth: CORDELLA (HMS UPTON); FARNELLA (HMS WOTTON); JUNELLA (HMS BICKINGTON); NORTHELLA (HMS SOBERTON); and PICT (HMS BILDESTON). They endured rough weather, unreliable machinery and lack of proper self-defence armament, communications and navigation systems. Sailing to and fro on their various often clandestine missions carrying stores and personnel in the dark, with radar switched off and all lights extinguished for security, they frequently ran the risk of being rammed or fired on by both enemy and friendly forces.

Apart from acting as guinea pigs in channels suspected of being mined and landing Special Forces raiding parties, they swept 10 of the 21 moored mines laid by the Argentinians in the approaches to Port Stanley; the other mines had either broken adrift and floated away or failed to deploy properly. Astonishingly, the relatively junior officer who welded the makeshift squadron together as an effective force, led it 8,000 miles south, supervised its hazardous operations and then brought it home again four months later without its ships or men sustaining a single casualty received no public recognition for his achievement.

Here's a piccie of the minesweeping trawlers of the 11th MCM Squadron at South Georgia cross-decking 5 Brigade personnel, stores and ammunition from QE2 to CANBERRA, NORLAND and the various RFAs shuttling between South Georgia, the Task Force at sea and the beachhead at San Carlos.
Had heard of them before but not in any detail. Thanks.

Does any country currently operate a MCMV that could do it?

Had heard of them before but not in any detail. Thanks.

Does any country currently operate a MCMV that could do it?
The UK certainly does. In early July 1982, the Hunt Class minehunters HMS BRECON and HMS LEDBURY arrived in theatre and confirmed by sonar that all poised mines had been cleared. Further utilising their submersibles and divers, the two mine hunters then located and disposed of remaining married mine failures and mine sinkers. In 2014, the ships' companies became entitled to wear the South Atlantic Medal without rosette.

The UK still has Hunt class MCMVs although only 6 of the original 13 survive in RN operation. The rest have been sold abroad, are awaiting sale, or have been converted into training ships.

Quite correct Ninja. Except for General Moore and his advance Headquarters, of which I was one. We rendezvoused with HMS Antrim on the edge of the TEZ, and cross-decked in a gradually increasing swell inside the QE2's "Jolly Boats" to be confronted by scramble nets which we had to ascend (as opposed to descend) in the swell, with the unstable boats bobbing to the full height of Antrim's decks at times. We had to manoeuvre around the deck of the "Jolly Boat" using only a very thin hand rail, and then grab the cargo net (on the up swell) whilst the matelots stood ready to grab us with boat hooks. My life was saved by "Spike", a Royal Marines illustrator, who caught me when the guy immediately in front, a Royal Signals SNCO, attempted to grab the net on the down swell and was caught between the Jolly Boat and Antrim's Hull, breaking his leg and catching me in the face with the boot of his free leg.

We then sailed into the TEZ and cross-decked two days later to HMS Fearless by helicopter, which was infinitely more convenient!

By the way, when the rest of the Pongos on board were being violently sea-sick on Antrim, I had my first (and last) hot shower in one of the POs Mess Decks. (Privilege of Rank, myself and a RM JNCO, were the most senior Corporals in the party.

I regret to report that Lt Cdr Brian Dutton DSO QGM RN passed away at his home last night. He had been ill for some time.

Vernon Monument Dinner at Trinity House 19 Jul 2017 (115) med.jpg

On 8 October 1982, he was gazetted for the award of the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of service during operations in the South Atlantic:

"During Argentinean air attacks on 21st May 1982 HMS ARGONAUT was struck by a 1,000 Ib bomb which did not explode. The bomb caused extensive damage and lodged between two missiles in the forward magazine where it was also surrounded by damaged and extremely dangerous ordnance.​
Lieutenant Commander Dutton, as Officer in Charge of Fleet Clearance Diving Team 1 was tasked to remove the bomb. He decided that it was too dangerous to defuse in situ. Instead he took the decision to lift the bomb from the magazine and hoist it overboard. The task proved extremely complex and hazardous requiring clearance of ammunition from the magazine and cutting through sections of the ship's structure. The operation took the team seven days during which HMS ARGONAUT came under further air attacks. The slightest jar or disturbance to the precise lifting angle would have resulted in an explosion which would almost certainly have caused the loss of the ship.​
In spite of these difficulties the bomb was successfully removed, largely due to the skill and ingenuity of Lieutenant Commander Dutton. He displayed staunch determination, steadfastness and courage of the highest order."​

RIP to a friend, former colleague and a fine gentleman.

Last edited:
I came across this link (shared on social media) yesterday:

https://www.spink.com/lot/9033228#

What struck me was the story behind the medal about events on Sir Galahad:
Must admit I've not heard that story previously.

It does make one wonder why a person witnessing such a desperate act did not also feel they were trapped, but the account states he concentrated on treating casualties rather than make good his escape.

Presumably there are other first hand accounts of this occurrence.

Not wishing to criticise the recipient, he was in a truly horrific situation, but he stated that he was moved from Port Stanley to Fitzroy on the RFA Sir Galahad. The majority of 1st Battalion, Welsh Guards and some attached elements, less the Prince of Wales Company, were moved from San Carlos to the Fitzroy area on HMS Fearless, and then embarked on RFA Sir Galahad for a landing at Bluff Cove with the RFA Sir Tristram where they were attacked and bombed by two flights, each of 5 x Daggers (Dassault Mirage V) and 5 x A4-C Skyhawks. I was on HMS Fearless when they arrived and bedded down on her tank deck. Port Stanley was still under Argentine occupation on 08 June 1982 and would not be re-captured for another 8 days.

I cannot comment on his account of witnessing Two Welsh Guardsmen shooting each other in a final death pact, save only to state that no reports, either official or heresay, of such an incident, or accounts from other casualties made their way up the Chain of Command. Both Tristram and Galahad remained afloat long enough to recover both the dead and survivors. Survivors from both vessels, including some from 2 Field Ambulance and RFA Chinese crewmen were later taken on board HMS Fearless for a short time, and we, (embarked) troops gave up our Mess Decks, Sleeping Bags and Bunks and slept on the Tank Deck for that period.

As for £1200 being realised at Auction for a South Atlantic Medal with Rosette, its a pretty paltry sum. I think I'll hang on to mine a little longer!