Falklands War - any personal experiances would be useful?

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by Squiggers, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

A while back I asked a bunch of questions about NI, due to an attempt to create a game/production based off what happened over there.

As a lot of stuff that we're having to create for it (weapons, vehicles, characters...) carries over to the Falklands War a few years prior, we're currently considering trying to do that first, as it requires a lot less 3D work, and cuts down on production time - and allows us to get greater exposure, and possibly funding for getting the NI production finished.

Does anyone have any personal experiences of the conflict in question they'd like to share? The same applies for the equipment, ships.. all that sort of thing that featured in the conflict, its all info that we could do with having.

Any info off guys that were out there during the conflict is infinitely more valuable than what you can find off wikipedia, and is far more indepth in my opinion.

Anyways - look forward to hearing off people in response to this, as it seems to be a relatively untapped area, much like NI. And its only likely to upset the Argies - which i'm not overly bothered about to be quite frank. :p

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Am I the only person who thinks trying to turn the Falklands War into a game is disgustingly tasteless and insensitive?
  3. I wouldn't be too sure Squiggers.
  4. You know your time lines then!
  5. You are not the only one.

And I've got some sympathy with the opposition too.
  6. No. There's at least two of us.
  7. Make that three....

8. You wouldn't happen to be one of those nice chaps that collect money for the Taliban as well are you?

9. Given that you're presumably looking to make money from this, what fee are you offering in return?
  10. How about posting this on the Welsh Guards Online website, or asking Simon Weston about it.

11. Just curious if all your reactions are the same to CoD MW 2?Or perhaps he would be a cnut, if he wanted to make a game about WWII?

I was born after the Falklands, so the war doesn't have any immediate effect on me(ie I can't "remember where I was when...").
  12. Considering the NI project was based in 1984, the Falklands was 2 years prior?

No, i've always supported the forces, and I've stated as such many a time.

A large percentage of the profit would be going to service charities, primarily H4H. I'd feel uneasy about not donating a fixed amount to one of the service charities considering the subject matter in question, not matter how long ago it was.

I'm attempting to do a number of things with this post - gauge a reaction from service personnel in regards to the subject in question, along with gather information. I'm not intending to create something that minimises the loss that we suffered in the war - more in support of the Armed Forces. If you believe otherwise, so be it.

Interestingly, I didn't receive such a bad response about NI when that was guaged as subject matter. I wasn't around during the point of the Falklands war either, so that makes two of us.

I apologise if anyones got the wrong idea of what i'm attempting to do here, as I did not provide enough information in regards to the project - again, I apologise for any offence caused by my suggestion to make a project surrounding it.

I'm not aiming to create something thats disrespectful. Unfortunately, game is associated with immediate cash-in on the subject matter. Thats categorically not what I'm intending with this. The aim would be more like a documentary style of story telling, and showing the horror of it - its not meant to be a Duke Nukem style run and gun through the entire argetine forces, more a realistic depiction from the forces involved. A good chunk would be examining PTSD - there was a thread I did in the Intel Cell a good few months back in fact that got some interesting responses.

The game would be more focused on the effects of what happened upon the individual, by no means would it be an attempt to glorify what happened out there - its once again something that shouldn't have happened in the first place, along with several other conflicts.

Obviously, if the support from ex forces is next to none existent, then I won't do it, i'm not that much of a cunt, nor due I wish to offend anyone via its creation.

I would be interested in hearing the reason why its regarded as offensive by some however, if thats possible? Please?
  13. I'm with Darling on this one.

What about all the games about subs, flight, attack helos, tanks, WWI, WWII, afghan etc.

I think you lot need to lighten up, or get a life.

I must admit that a game about The Falklands does sound a tad boring though. No gucci weapons etc
  14. Well, you could in theory have some customisation of equipment - albeit, not completely to the extent of MW2, but a small amount could be feasible, surely?
  15. Like black-nasty a torch onto your SLR? I'm sold 8O