Falklands Veterans (Raise your glass!)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Fallschirmjager, Apr 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As most of you know the Falklands War started on this day 30 years ago. It will probably go down in history as the last war we fought without allies, with the backing of most of the population and against an enemy dug in waiting for the kickoff. Basically a 'real' war if there is such a term. The blokes that fought in it had no real preparation as such. No OPTAG or PDT in those days and shitter kit and equipment than the enemy. A bit different to our current operations. Their tenacity, professionalism and spirit saw them pull off a remarkable victory.

I'll be raising a glass tonight to those lads who fought and died down south. They were part of something truly remarkable.
    • Like Like x 62
  2. fu2

fu2 LE

remembering Dougie McCormack. RIP
  3. Capt. GJ Hamilton. RiP. Once a Howard, always a Howard.

Sent from my iPad using ARRSE app 'cause I can.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tony Marshall RN - HMS Sheffield. RIP
  6. I will also be raising a glass tonight. RIP to all those that gave there lives 30years ago.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk
  7. Agreed. A 'fair' war, if there is such a thing, where two armies fought against eachother for a clear objective.No terroism as such, people were fighting for a cause that was justified. On April 1st 1982, the average squaddie didnt know where the Falklands were, and was probably pissed up in a bar, or on leave. Just 48 hours later, was told to pack bergans and bayonets, then set sail across the Atlantic, to a heavily defended and dug in enemy. Brave people, from all three of our services.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Here's to each of them, all services.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I shall be raising my glass tonight to the men that fell in Battle, of all services and the crew of SS Norland, who took us to the islands. I am immensely proud of having served with The Second Battalion the Parachute regiment during the war some of the best soldiers in the world.
    Utrinque Paratus
    • Like Like x 22
  10. I was sat under cam nets next to some dreary German village this time 30 years ago, we couldn't believe what we were hearing on our little NAAFI transistor radios. As the days and weeks passed, our pride and admiration (and a little twinge of jealousy) for our mates down South grew.

To the living and fallen on Op Corporate, I was proud to have known some of you.

Early doors for me this afternoon.
  11. Way to go lads!!!
  12. Nice summary FJ, and pararegtom, something not often mentioned is the brave crews of the civvy ships that took us down there. Nice one. I was with patrols platoon on Norland and echo all your thoughts mate.
  13. 02 April 1982 was a Friday - I was the Duty Operator at a Security Section in Hounslow (long since re-named and moved) when we got word of the invasion early on in the evening. Little was I to know that at 0730 hours on Sunday 04 April, I would be reporting to HQ MGRM & Cdo Forces (later HQ LFFI) at the underground bunker in Northwood, and later still, deploying to the South Atlantic via a VC-10 aircraft to Ascension via Senegal (where the local troops forced us at gunpoint to stay on board in the hot baking sun, with the smell of urine permeating from the overflowing bogs), a Sea King onto the deck of QE2, a small ships jolly boat in the violent changing South Atlantic swell and then scrambling nets up the side of HMS Antrim before another ride on a Wessex 5 to HMS Fearless which would take us into San Carlos.

Memories of those first few days at Northwood include the Commonwealth Barstewards from Africa and the Caribbean who failed to support us in the UN and through the Foreign Office to our real friends from Australia and New Zealand, who deployed their own Navy ships to free up the Royal Navy for deployment.

The return in August was no less adventurous and included a 13 hour flight to Ascension on the last C-130 Hercules to leave Stanley before they shut the airport down for repairs.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. 30 years ago...

I was in the ATC and shooting at Purfleet ranges on the Thames. I wanted to get involved! You know how kids just dream up all sorts of stuff, there was I with my SLR holding off the Argies single handedly.

I can't remember if anyone knew where the islands were, I thought it was the Shetlands.

Me and a mate bunked off school to watch the victory parade and the headmaster found out and called my parents. My mum had given me the tube fare and she told him it was OK with her. In assembly he named me and told the whole year that what she had done was wrong. I was mortified. 1982. The rot had already started then see.
  15. I went there later, after the war had ended, during the war I was elsewhere. So today I raised a glass to two people I knew well: Jim Prescott and John Phillips, who sank HMS Antelope whilst trying to defuse an Argi bomb lodged below decks. They went back several times to refit the rocket wrench which had failed to remove the fuse. Balls of ******* steel the pair of them.

Jim still lies on board HMS Antelope. John has retired, minus an arm, which, ironically was removed by the remains of the rocket wrench which came back at them when the bomb detonated.

And I raised a second glass to all the guys who died in the war and with whom I was not connected.

And I raised a third glass to the poor Argentine conscripts who really didn't like it up em, but who were sent there to face British steel and who had no way out once the shit hit the fan.
    • Like Like x 16