Falklands veterans given Freedom of City of Portsmouth

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Veterans of the Falklands war in 1982 have been awarded the Freedom of the City of Portsmouth.
Portsmouth City Council voted to grant the honour to those who fought in the South Atlantic, along with other Royal Navy veterans' associations.
The resolution stated the city had a "very close and proud relationship" with veterans.
The organisations join the likes of The Corps of Royal Marines and Portsmouth Football Club in having the honour.

Formal admission to the Freedom of the City will be arranged once each have been formally approved by councillors, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.
Their resolutions will then be engrossed on vellum and sealed before being formally presented to a representative of each of the groups, in keeping with tradition.

It seems a weirdly long time to wait to do something like this, and what does it actually do for anyone?

Presumably they can graze their sheep on the City commons or somesuch

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've always been a glass half full kinda person

any woman you meet in Pompey over the age of consent is going to be a grandmother

It sound marvellous - but what exactly does it mean?

Do I get free beer in the pubs?

Can I park my car where I like?

Can I shoot a Welshman with a longbow within the town walls?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It sound marvellous - but what exactly does it mean?

Do I get free beer in the pubs?

Can I park my car where I like?

Can I shoot a Welshman with a longbow within the town walls?

the last two can happen anyway

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
It means you is allowed to parade through the city and uuuummmm well that's it really. Sorry I missed out the drums beating, flags flying and bayonets fixed.

Latest Threads