Falklands Vet Selling His MM

There was a story late last night on local news (South East) of a Falklands Vet selling his Medals including an MM as he has fallen on hard times.

Is there any way ARRSE can help the fella out?

Ian Bailey's Wiki page

I don't have a sound card on my PC at work so I can't hear what he's saying. How much does he need?

According to the article, on sale today with an estimate of £60,000

VH

Why do we constantly see guys having to resort to things like this, especially for health care, treatment, etc.

This fnuckin government does my head in. They have paid far more already than any fnuckin immigrant will ever do.

Confirms my decision to throw smoke and move overseas.

Brown, your a cnut!

He was Junior RSM at IJLB when I was there, then met him again when we were both in Woolwich Hosp after the FI. Nice bloke, very committed soldier and a bloody shame it has come to this for him.

Hi medals will go for more than £60K, again the dear old auctioners have got the price pegged low. Captain Bailey I am sure has tried all the avenues and i bet the Para Association are on his case, but as he so rightly said his case is not unique and we will see loads of guys who are going through or have already gone through Selly Oak in similar situations over the years. I am not sure that ARSSE can come to the rescue all the time, this is a Government issue and our wounded need to be looked after long term through tax breaks and benefits in cash and kind.

pimpernel said:
Hi medals will go for more than £60K, again the dear old auctioners have got the price pegged low. Captain Bailey I am sure has tried all the avenues and i bet the Para Association are on his case, but as he so rightly said his case is not unique and we will see loads of guys who are going through or have already gone through Selly Oak in similar situations over the years. I am not sure that ARSSE can come to the rescue all the time, this is a Government issue and our wounded need to be looked after long term through tax breaks and benefits in cash and kind.
Well said pimpernel. Honour the Covenant... It's the least those in power can do.

A

ALVIN

So where is this "debt of gratitude" prommise by Government??
This makes my funking blood boil, knowing that all this sweet pep talk by Government is a pack of funking lies, and leaves so many ill veterans feeling cheated, used and abused.
All M.Ps are funking con artist bullshitters as far as i am concerned.
I want to take the outrage bus out to round all M.Ps up and dump them into the funking sea!!
I'll give the bastwds "debt of gratitude" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Banker said:
Totally agreed, and you wouldn't hear anybody bleat about an increase in tax to cover it either.........
Oh, I think you would. :(

Obviously not for the Mil/Vet community, by they'd be some.

Fat_Cav said:
Banker said:
Totally agreed, and you wouldn't hear anybody bleat about an increase in tax to cover it either.........
Oh, I think you would. :(

Obviously not for the Mil/Vet community, by they'd be some.
Not from those going from 40% up to 50% in April.........at least then we'd see some benefit derived Cyclops' bullshite policies.

FFS, why does our government who we fight for treat veterans like crap. Why do these illegals get more rights in benefits then him. Really unfair that is.

Very much passing observation, not judgement....and certainly not degrading anything this chap has done...but...

What is a Captains pension after at least 20 years service worth? More likely to be 22+ if he was a corporal in 1992

It took 27 years before he discovered he had shrapnel in his hip :? but he was working right up until he had an operation to remove it this year.

It is the operation that left him directly unable to work, not the injury sustained in 1982..as proven by the fact he did not even know about the shrapnel until this year! " shrapnel were not removed from his hip until 2009, he having been unaware that it was still there."

So, the Army give him a pension after he retires, he continued his military career, serving in several hostile tours, but an operation left him unable to work..so why is he comparing himself to a soldier who has lost an arm or a leg in battle? You tend to notice an arm missing!

At the risk of sounding harsh, he cannot expect the same support as said limbless soldier from the military as he has proven that any injury sustained has not prevented him from completing a successful military career. He then immediately got employment in the security sector, again, still able to work.

His military career is commendable, I cannot and will not deny that, but not so sure about his comments regarding being hard done by.

(all information from the Press, so appologies for any inaccuracys on my behalf)

(runs and hides under the table!)

Cougar said:
Why do we constantly see guys having to resort to things like this, especially for health care, treatment, etc.

This fnuckin government does my head in. They have paid far more already than any fnuckin immigrant will ever do.

Confirms my decision to throw smoke and move overseas.

Brown, your a cnut!
WELL SAID. BROWN IS A CNUT

pimpernel said:
In the words of some fat, money grabbing,fraudulent claiming, sat on a bench half asleep MP.......

Here here!

2/51 said:
Very much passing observation, not judgement....and certainly not degrading anything this chap has done...but...

What is a Captains pension after at least 20 years service worth? More likely to be 22+ if he was a corporal in 1992

It took 27 years before he discovered he had shrapnel in his hip :? but he was working right up until he had an operation to remove it this year.

It is the operation that left him directly unable to work, not the injury sustained in 1982..as proven by the fact he did not even know about the shrapnel until this year! " shrapnel were not removed from his hip until 2009, he having been unaware that it was still there."

So, the Army give him a pension after he retires, he continued his military career, serving in several hostile tours, but an operation left him unable to work..so why is he comparing himself to a soldier who has lost an arm or a leg in battle? You tend to notice an arm missing!

At the risk of sounding harsh, he cannot expect the same support as said limbless soldier from the military as he has proven that any injury sustained has not prevented him from completing a successful military career. He then immediately got employment in the security sector, again, still able to work.

His military career is commendable, I cannot and will not deny that, but not so sure about his comments regarding being hard done by.

(all information from the Press, so appologies for any inaccuracys on my behalf)

(runs and hides under the table!)
The shrapnel is a direct result of being involved in operations in the South Atlantic in 1982, so i think its very relevant. The point he made was that todays wounded-in-action could find themselves in a similar position, with complications from todays injuries, 30 years own the line. A mates dad who was a Sgt with the 2nd batt. on Arnhem bridge collected a lump of shrapnel in the hip and was made POW, without that injury being properly treated.He lived a very active life, still parachuting into the 1960's with the TA. By the mid 80's it was giving him trouble and he was taken into the military hospital ( remember those!) in Woolwich and had a new hip fitted. The miliatry machine looked after him .He did'nt have to write to his MP or sell his medals . Rightly so, he was looked after. Ian Bailey should be afforded the same treatment for his service to this country, not that this government of shysters would understand about serving. Self-serving, maybe.

para-dox said:
The point he made was that todays wounded-in-action could find themselves in a similar position, with complications from todays injuries, 30 years own the line..
He mentioned lost limbs...thats not "complications". That is a very obvious issue, which quite rightly deserves support. I do not believe that in 30 years time these limbless soldiers will be in the same situation as him so I feel his comparesson is not justified. Maybe its the editing in the clip/news papers....

Complications are a whole different ball game..hence the abundence of "No win No fee" lawyers! Almost impossible to prove one way or the other.

I have a feeling that the papers have not reported on the full facts on this one (hence my comment at the bottom of my first post).