Falklands to hold referendum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mush_dad, Jun 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

"The Government called for the referendum just two days before Ms de Kirchner is due to attend a UN committee in New York on de-colonisation."

Nice one. Wind from sails hopefully. But I doubt it.
  2. Touche Sir
  3. It will make no difference to De Kirchner. Her policy is to ignore the wishes of the inhabitants of the islands and supplant one alleged form of "colonialism" for a kind considered by her to be morally and politically acceptable (i.e. one in which Argentina gains sovereignty over the islands).
  4. [​IMG]
    Large crowds were reported today as Polling Stations opened for the Falklands Referendum
    • Like Like x 3
  5. They'll be too busy having rough sex with each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fixed gratis
    • Like Like x 1
  7. According to the film "Happy Feet" it's dancing & a musical, the only rough bit is the friggin temp ;-)
  8. Hmm, how many generations does someone have to live in a place to be called indigenous? does any one have an answer?

Technically the only truly 'indigenous' people in the world are Africans, since this is where human life started.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. It's intriguing to see if this'll impinge on De Kirchner or if, as I suspect, they'll blatantly ignore it as colonialist propaganda.
  10. What are the chances of this going pete tong with a slightly different result than anticipated?

People can be very fickle when it comes to voting the way they are supposed to.

Some might get it into their heads that there be oil down there and perhaps independence might be a better way to go - with negotiated NATO membership (yes I know but don’t bring geography into it, NATO doesn't).

Result: the world’s wealthiest sheep with the obliged military backing of Britain and U.S. if the Argies kick off again.
  11. Didn't get that impression in 1994 when I was down there chatting to a couple of locals. They wished that the world in general would fcuk off and leave them alone.
  12. All the inhabitants of Diego Garcia, regardless of ancestry or employment status, were involuntarily, and some claim, forcibly, relocated to other islands in the Chagos Archipelago, or to Mauritius or Seychelles by 1971 to satisfy the requirements of a UK/US Exchange of Notes signed in 1966 to depopulate the island when the US constructed a base upon it. No current agreement exists on how many of the evacuees met the criteria to be an Ilois, and thus be an indigenous person at the time of their removal, but the UK and Mauritian governments agreed in 1972 that 426 families, numbering 1,151 individuals were due compensation payments as exiled Ilois. The total number of people certified as Ilois by the Mauritian Government's Ilois Trust Fund Board in 1982 was 1,579. This involuntary relocation decision remains in litigation as of 2010
  13. I believe only 1 born and bred falkland islander has claimed argentinian nationality. Bet he has alot of friends down the pub

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app