Falklands Questions - help please

Can anyone give me some help with these questions, I know google is your friend, but i have the opportunity to go out to the falklands if i can come up with some presentations on this subject, and am unsure where to start, if anyone has first hand stories, anecdotes etc that i can use will be great. I am not a journalist but a fully serving member of Her madges Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (24 years done - 3 left to do)

Examine the background to the engagement/event.
Examine the key strategic issues of the engagement.
Examine the key tactical issues of the engagement.
Consider what the main challenges were. Eg: logistics, tactical constraints, terrain & climate and leadership.
Consider the application of joint effects and how these were co-ordinated. Eg: AI, CAS, naval gunfire support, arty & mortars, light armour and aviation.
Consider the impact of the engagement/event on the wider South Atlantic campaign.
What key lessons can we draw from the event, which still bear relevance today?

Fly Navy PM me.

Magic

Can anyone give me some help with these questions, I know google is your friend, but i have the opportunity to go out to the falklands if i can come up with some presentations on this subject, and am unsure where to start, if anyone has first hand stories, anecdotes etc that i can use will be great. I am not a journalist but a fully serving member of Her madges Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (24 years done - 3 left to do)

Examine the background to the engagement/event.
Examine the key strategic issues of the engagement.
Examine the key tactical issues of the engagement.
Consider what the main challenges were. Eg: logistics, tactical constraints, terrain & climate and leadership.
Consider the application of joint effects and how these were co-ordinated. Eg: AI, CAS, naval gunfire support, arty & mortars, light armour and aviation.
Consider the impact of the engagement/event on the wider South Atlantic campaign.
What key lessons can we draw from the event, which still bear relevance today?
The last question is easy.
When you have professionally trained soldiers, led by professionally trained officers and both are current in their training requirements including leadership in depth then you will win.
When you have Conscript soldiers led by professionally trained officers with mediocre training then you will lose. Simple really.

The last question is easy.
When you have professionally trained soldiers, led by professionally trained officers and both are current in their training requirements including leadership in depth then you will win.
When you have Conscript soldiers led by professionally trained officers with mediocre training then you will lose. Simple really.
A decent strong Navy with a couple of aircraft carriers also helps.

Oh, wait....

So, basically, you can't be a***d to do any academic research and would like board members to bale you out? And to what extent do you think anecdotal stories e-mailed now - based on events that happened 28 years ago - will have credibility for the research paper(?) you are putting together?? I really suggest you start doing your homework with some of the key books concerning the conflict - Friedman's Official History; Middlebrook; Woodward, Thomson, Hastings (even!) etc.
PS Just been struck by an alarming thought -was it you that argued the FAA's case during the recent defence review?

So, basically, you can't be a***d to do any academic research and would like board members to bale you out? And to what extent do you think anecdotal stories e-mailed now - based on events that happened 28 years ago - will have credibility for the research paper(?) you are putting together?? I really suggest you start doing your homework with some of the key books concerning the conflict - Friedman's Official History; Middlebrook; Woodward, Thomson, Hastings (even!) etc.
PS Just been struck by an alarming thought -was it you that argued the FAA's case during the recent defence review?
A bit harsh me thinks

Magic

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
It,s been nearly 29 years since the conflict, does the MOD not have an archive that can answer these questions ie for staff colleges training establishments ? Just asking.

Actually i am going to study the facts and i was a teenager in 82 and avidly followed the war every day after school, even keeping every tabloid in a scrap book. The presentation will be done in front of current serving military personnel, and is to be full of video, stories and thought inducing prose. The idea to use peoples actual stories of their time down there i thought would keep peoples interest rather than just watching a cut and pasted you tube video. And where peoples stories are used they will be given full credit where possible and persec/comsec allows.

The guy who argued the FAA's case was sharkey wards son and no its not me, but i do know who put the scratch in his fathers Aston martin (some one who was wrongly mentioned in the book) which he brought from the profits of his ill informed book Sea Harrier over the Falklands

It,s been nearly 29 years since the conflict, does the MOD not have an archive that can answer these questions ie for staff colleges training establishments ? Just asking.
I'm in the Navy everyone in the group is going to talk and show video of the Harrier involvment (currently based on a quickly disbanding harrier squadron) i thought i would cover it from the Armies point of view to make it different and to get away from the common ground that everyone else will do. I have access to some of the archives at work but wanted to hear and maybe use some peoples own involvment, to make it more interesting. As people in the military have knowledge of things that are not always reported in books/archives etc. I kknow about some of the things that are not covered in the books/papers etc.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Well some of the Army were not very happy with HMS Cardiff after she shot down Gazelle XX377 on Mount Pleasant peak on the 6th June

Well some of the Army were not very happy with HMS Cardiff after she shot down Gazelle XX377 on Mount Pleasant peak on the 6th June
Really? I never came across any bad feeling toward the ships crew. Infact we took one of the radio ops on our summer camp.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Really? I never came across any bad feeling toward the ships crew. Infact we took one of the radio ops on our summer camp.
Thats because it was CBAS one of their own so to speak, I thought you were reading up on the history

Right, been confirmed definitely going, and has been clarified that i have to give a presentation on Mount Longdon so any dits or stories that you are happy for me to use. Peoples own accounts are better than stuff cut and pasted of wikipedia.

C

cloudbuster

Thats because it was CBAS one of their own so to speak, I thought you were reading up on the history
Oh no it wasn't. Staff Sergeant Christopher Griffin and Lance Corporal Simon Cockton, of 656 Squadron Army Air Corps, along with Major Forge and S/Sgt Baker from 205 Sig Sqn.

Flynavy - enjoy the trip.

oldbaldy

LE
For Naval Gunfire Support have a read of Hugh McManners book 'Falklands Commando'.

As an Aircrewman Observer, I was down there a year after the war from May to October 1983. Based at Hildeshiem, that year I had Spring in Scotland Mountain Flying, Winter in the Falklands as Generals Taxi, Doctor Death ERIC the Argie Recce and Postman Pat to return for a Winter in Germany. The first wife wondered who I was as I had been gone so long so left me in the New Year, happy days. I think divorce was (or is) compulsory in the Aircrew world, I know some on their third marriages.

I've got some great pictures of all the Battle sites, memorials (the Gazelle one on Mount Pleasant was still not acknowledged as a Blue on Blue in 1983) , Harriers, Phantoms, shot up Pucara's, wild life, also an Argentinian mess tin, a NVG box from Two Sisters that I gave to a DJ friend of mine to keep his Northern Soul records in, and a couple of 105mm shell cases cut down as ashtrays by the RE. I left behind a drogue chute from a Sky Hawk or some other shot down aircraft and an entrenching tool, pity really but there was only so much kit I could carry.

C

cloudbuster

I think divorce was (or is) compulsory in the Aircrew world, I know some on their third marriages.
Sounds all too familar.

.....the Gazelle one on Mount Pleasant was still not acknowledged as a Blue on Blue in 1983....
By my turn in 85 it had become common knowledge amongst the aircrew, although not yet accepted by the hierarchy. Co-incidently, on leave in London after our tour down South, I bumped into a Matelot in the bar at the UJC. We swapped war-stories, as you do, and it transpired he'd been on Cardiff during the disturbance, as one of the ops plotters. To say the crew took the news of the downing badly would be an understatement.

BTW, jim24, an acknowledgment of your error in post #12 would be appreciated.

Sounds all too familar.

By my turn in 85 it had become common knowledge amongst the aircrew, although not yet accepted by the hierarchy. Co-incidently, on leave in London after our tour down South, I bumped into a Matelot in the bar at the UJC. We swapped war-stories, as you do, and it transpired he'd been on Cardiff during the disturbance, as one of the ops plotters. To say the crew took the news of the downing badly would be an understatement.

That's what I was hinting at in my post above. I did two weeks aboard HMS Beachampton in 85ish. I was asked by our OC 660 Sqn to invite a matelot to come on our summer camp. I had gotten frienly with one of the ships radio ops so invited him. He had been crew aboard Cardif and was very reluctant to come. I had to speek to the OC and get assurance there would be no ill fealing toward him, there was none. Even from those who had been down south during the disturbance.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds all too familar.

Ok, at the time I posted I had forgotten the fact that the helicopter was in fact a RM aircraft, but some reports say it was 656 sqn AAC, I walked up to the crash site in 1984 when we were opening up the quarry on Mt Pleasent for the construction of the airport