Falklands Questions - help please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by flynavy, Feb 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone give me some help with these questions, I know google is your friend, but i have the opportunity to go out to the falklands if i can come up with some presentations on this subject, and am unsure where to start, if anyone has first hand stories, anecdotes etc that i can use will be great. I am not a journalist but a fully serving member of Her madges Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (24 years done - 3 left to do)

Examine the background to the engagement/event.
    Examine the key strategic issues of the engagement.
    Examine the key tactical issues of the engagement.
    Consider what the main challenges were. Eg: logistics, tactical constraints, terrain & climate and leadership.
    Consider the application of joint effects and how these were co-ordinated. Eg: AI, CAS, naval gunfire support, arty & mortars, light armour and aviation.
    Consider the impact of the engagement/event on the wider South Atlantic campaign.
    What key lessons can we draw from the event, which still bear relevance today?
  2. Fly Navy PM me.

3. The last question is easy.
    When you have professionally trained soldiers, led by professionally trained officers and both are current in their training requirements including leadership in depth then you will win.
    When you have Conscript soldiers led by professionally trained officers with mediocre training then you will lose. Simple really.
  4. A decent strong Navy with a couple of aircraft carriers also helps.

Oh, wait....
  5. So, basically, you can't be a***d to do any academic research and would like board members to bale you out? And to what extent do you think anecdotal stories e-mailed now - based on events that happened 28 years ago - will have credibility for the research paper(?) you are putting together?? I really suggest you start doing your homework with some of the key books concerning the conflict - Friedman's Official History; Middlebrook; Woodward, Thomson, Hastings (even!) etc.
    PS Just been struck by an alarming thought -was it you that argued the FAA's case during the recent defence review?
  6. A bit harsh me thinks

7. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

It,s been nearly 29 years since the conflict, does the MOD not have an archive that can answer these questions ie for staff colleges training establishments ? Just asking.
  8. Actually i am going to study the facts and i was a teenager in 82 and avidly followed the war every day after school, even keeping every tabloid in a scrap book. The presentation will be done in front of current serving military personnel, and is to be full of video, stories and thought inducing prose. The idea to use peoples actual stories of their time down there i thought would keep peoples interest rather than just watching a cut and pasted you tube video. And where peoples stories are used they will be given full credit where possible and persec/comsec allows.

The guy who argued the FAA's case was sharkey wards son and no its not me, but i do know who put the scratch in his fathers Aston martin (some one who was wrongly mentioned in the book) which he brought from the profits of his ill informed book Sea Harrier over the Falklands
  9. I'm in the Navy everyone in the group is going to talk and show video of the Harrier involvment (currently based on a quickly disbanding harrier squadron) i thought i would cover it from the Armies point of view to make it different and to get away from the common ground that everyone else will do. I have access to some of the archives at work but wanted to hear and maybe use some peoples own involvment, to make it more interesting. As people in the military have knowledge of things that are not always reported in books/archives etc. I kknow about some of the things that are not covered in the books/papers etc.
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Well some of the Army were not very happy with HMS Cardiff after she shot down Gazelle XX377 on Mount Pleasant peak on the 6th June
  11. Really? I never came across any bad feeling toward the ships crew. Infact we took one of the radio ops on our summer camp.
  12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Thats because it was CBAS one of their own so to speak, I thought you were reading up on the history
  13. Right, been confirmed definitely going, and has been clarified that i have to give a presentation on Mount Longdon so any dits or stories that you are happy for me to use. Peoples own accounts are better than stuff cut and pasted of wikipedia.
  14. Oh no it wasn't. Staff Sergeant Christopher Griffin and Lance Corporal Simon Cockton, of 656 Squadron Army Air Corps, along with Major Forge and S/Sgt Baker from 205 Sig Sqn.

Flynavy - enjoy the trip.
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

For Naval Gunfire Support have a read of Hugh McManners book 'Falklands Commando'.