Falklands Night - Sunday 17 June

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by lill, Jun 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "To mark the 25th anniversary of the end of the Falklands war, BBC Parliament presents an evening of programmes looking back at the military campaign."

it kicks off at 1800 on beeb parliament

program listings, etc. here
  2. Thanks for the heads up lill. I have a folder of press cuttings from the Falklands War and like to blame my A level results on the news coverage, but I was in essence an indolent sod
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Actually started on BBC 1 at 1400Hrs till 1700Hrs.
  4. Does anybody know whether our illustrious mayor 'Red Ken' Livingstone is participating in the ceremonies in London today?

Or has he flown off to Buenos Aires to apologise on behalf of his subjects.
  5. the programs tonight are from the archives and include:

@6pm: editions of Newsnight, the Nine O'Clock News and Question Time, Brian Hanrahan traces the chronology of the Falklands war from invasion through to final victory, including: news coverage of the Task Force setting off from the UK; the re-capture of South Georgia; the sinking of the Belgrano; the attack on HMS Sheffield; and the battle of Goose Green.

Presenters who feature in the original BBC coverage include Robin Day, Peter Snow, John Simpson and Donald McCormick.

On Saturday 3 April 1982, the House of Commons held its first Saturday sitting since the Second World War.

BBC Parliament replays the debate in full.
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Did'nt see him although plenty of ol troutmouth!
  7. Stand by for the fly past. A Nimrod just flew over my house heading for London.
  8. Is it too much to ask for the choir to signg in time with the band?
  9. Nice if all the channels with more than one station (which is most) devoted at least one to coverage and remembrance today. Would this mean you could hardly switch channel today without having the Falklands commemoration thrust down your throat? Too right it would, with a continuos scrolling banner on the bottom of the screen of the men and the Units.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I thought the coverage of the Drum Head service ect was quite good.The young lass in the yellow dress who was the daughter of a Major sang very beautifully & bought a tear to the eye.All the vets stood proud & had a steely look in the eye,one of thought & rememberence.Pity about the idiot who asked the vets daft questions & got "'Avving a few jars later" for a answer.
    One thing that did let it down,
    Prince Andrew was permanently out of step!!Tick-Tocking like a cheap watch!Typical occifer!
  11. The atmosphere there today was wonderful, especially when they sang "We are sailing". :D
  12. Drain Sniffer.. have to agree with you ref the choir. Yes they sounded nice but it would have been nice if they could have sung in time to the music of the bands.
    On the whole a great spectacle.
  13. Give the guy a break. Just walking in one of those RN No 1 uniforms is an effort, never mind marching.

I'd think this is especially true if you're wearing ladies' undies beneath your uniform - but I've said too much already.

HRH - if you're reading this - are you still cheating at uckers?