Falklands minefield clearance project

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Mar 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been shouted down for saying this before (principally by those who stand to gain financially from this work) but I fail to see why we are spending money on this far from urgent task.

I know we have a treaty obligation to do so but it's hardly important, particularly at a time of severe budget restraints and what are the other signatories going to do? Bomb us?

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

FFS they'll be banning them and cluster bombs next, I suppose they'll want us to clean up the sea soon!

3. Because the EU requires the minefields to be cleared. And the Ottawa Treaty (Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on their Destruction) requires signatory countries to clear all land mines and minefields from their territories within ten years of signing the protocol. UK is a signatory to the protocol. So is Argentina. The vast majority of land mines in the FI are Argentinian, but the FI government wont entertain Argentine military mine clearance organisations on their territory.

Edited to add: And since there is supposed to be oil and gas down around the FI, as seismic survey needs to be done (if one hasn't already been done) on the land part as well as the sea part. And you cant really do a seismic survey in a minefield.

4. Fair play. Do the Argentinians readily admit to laying them and do they help support the teams financially?

5. Oh our Lords and Masters in the EU require it? Oh well that's all right then! :roll:

So what exactly is the penalty for telling them to ram it apart from you having to find another line of work?

[hr]

What makes you so certain that seismic survey is required in the tiny percentage of the Falklands Landmass that is mined?

6. I don't know if they (Argentinians) have admitted to laying the minefields, but they cant really deny it, since there are witnesses and records of mine stocks per country etc. There were talks ongoing a few years ago aimed at getting the Argentine govt to cough up the gelt for the clearance. But the Argentine govt were at that time insisting that if they had to pay for it, they would do it. I lost track of it all when I started going overseas full time. No doubt there are others on here who are more up to date than I.

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I believe the Argies have formally requested an extension to thier Ottowa Treaty obligations because of the 'illegal occupation' of the falklands by the British which is stopping them from completing the clearance activities.

S_R

8. 1. Whether you like it or not, the fact is that the UK is a part of the EU and has agreed to abide by certain EU policies. I don't comment on whether it is right that we should do so. The reality is that I don't actually give a flying fornicatory exercise either way. But there are penalties for member states non compliance with EU policies. Google is your friend. Research the subject for yourself.
    2. I don't work in the mine clearance sector.
    3. As for seismic survey on land, have a look at the minefield maps related to FI and then go and research seismic survey so you can answer your own question.
    4. You boring, irrelevant tit.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still should get the EU to pay and then they can force the Argentinians to pay up!

10. I watched a bit of the program on BBC world, the clearance teams interviewed were from Zimbabwe & Lebanon, apparently they have lots of experience! One of the Maps shown appeared to have notes in Spanish, presumably Argentinian!
    They claim to have cleared just under 1000 mines and have about 20,000 to go! They say that most of the mines recovered were in "pristine" condition!

11. If I remember correctly the mine clearance teams are deployed by a UK company called Bactec, which is based in the Medway towns. The owner of the company is an ex RE Maj (he was an acting Lt Col when I was at DEODS) from 33. The company works to a very good standard and the teams from Zim and the Lebanon are hand picked and highly experienced. No, I don't work for the company and never have. But credit where it's due, they have just been awarded a second Queens Award to Industry. You can Google the company name for their website.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

k13eod is down there with them at the moment isnt he?
    Ok well most of him!

13. I thought you did seismic survey by putting lots of microphones in the ground, and then letting off explosives to see how the rock moves?
    Sounds like a minefield is the best place in the world to do a seismic survey. Someone's already put the charges in place for you... :)

14. My solution would merge various threads and provide a solution. Fly Jon Venables and the major who stole £100K from a charity down there , give them mine prodders and set them to work . Please feel free to add the names of other miscreants we should add to the mine clearing party.......