Falklands Memorial

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Father_Famine, Aug 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As an aging ex matelot, I shall be heaving my knackered old body up Pen Y Fan this Saturday.

This is to try and raise some money towards a memorial to those Brothers still on patrol in the South Atlantic. The memorial is to be built at The National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire and will be based on the Cemetery at Blue Beach in San Carlos.

Although there are wonderful memorials in Cardiff and at Pangbourne it was decided that as the names of the lads are on the National War Memorial it would be fitting that a Falklands Memorial be built in its shadow.

If anyone would like to support this they can donate at:

Terry Beddoes is fundraising for SAMA (82)

or if you fancy a bimble why not join us all, from 10am, there will be a steady stream of old men heading up the hill from the layby just up from the Storey Arms. Bacon Butties and Refreshments available at the bottom and apparently there will be a tv somewhere on the hill so you can watch the rugby.

2. Good effort mate, I hope it goes well.:thumright:

3. Thanks for the Donation

4. Walk Done and dusted. I was accompanied by my 16 yr old son. Who, as there was little rioting occuring in Brecon (apart from the Jazz Festival) carried the Falklands Flag up and down Pen Y Fan in the style of the Bootie with the Union Flag in 1982.

Daniel_3.jpg

Twas Windy on top.

PS On the way down we saw some Rock Apes working their way up with packs full of bubble wrap (allegedly) They didn't seem too impressed when I asked a group sitting for a breather to stand up as the Standard passed by. Ignorant sods..........

5. Dear Heart, are you sure that was a Bootie?

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Marine Peter Robinson, 45 Commando.

7. A young man to be proud of well done to you, accompanied an old friend last summer who just fancied one last bimble,he passed away 6 months later," never lost brummie" just puzzled.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Beat me to it

9. I wonder how many have been up and down it yet have still to pronounce the name correctly?
    It's not Penny Fan! Kudos to your lad mind. :)

10. I stand corrected and belittled!

11. Hi Taff,

Is Pen uh Van good enough?

Is that coat your jacket is'nt it?