Falklands help required

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by BlotBangRub, Feb 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am just sitting down to write an essay about Goose Green and I have some rather bone queries.

What words if any in 'battalion second-in-command' get capitalised?

Also does 'the' in 'the Parachute Regiment' get capitalised?

Slight change of emphasis but does anyone know the following?

What company was Barry Norman in at the time i.e. was he HQ Coy CSM? (The interview refers to him as ‘Sergeant Major’, but that is an appointment not a rank and I want to be able to get it right. If I cannot find out his appointment I shall refer to him as WO II which I would rather not do)

Was Major Keeble still serving when he gave his interview to Yorkshire television for 'The Falklands War: The Untold Story'?

He gave his interview in civvies and I know he left in 1987 but he may still have been in when it was conducted and to an historian this is an important point.

Thanks in advance.

2. Id help you but i havent got a feckin clue

3. The book Goose Green: A Battle Is Fought To Be Won by Mark Adkin is very useful if you don't have it already.

The above book refers to Norman as a sergeant throughout, not CSM.

4. What words - if any - in 'battalion second-in-command' get capitalised?

In that context none. The word 'battalion' is only capitalised when used in its titular context, i.e. 2nd Battalion. Likewise second-in-command is neither a rank or appointment, rather a position and is thus not capitalised.

Also does 'the' in 'the Parachute Regiment' get capitalised?

Technically no, though it often (incorrectly) is.

5. Thanks for the help!

Much appreciated.

6. BBR -

I trust you've got a copy of Fitzgibbon's Not Mentioned In Despatches?

7. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Thats because your a fcuking civi you arsewipe dont post of stuff you know fcuk all about troll boy

8. No I am afraid.

I am writing a comparitive critique of two specific primary sources; the Keeble and Norman interviews in 'Speaking Out: Untold Stories from the Falklands War' and as such I need to confine myself to that specific book, otherwise I may bring in infomation and judgements that cannot be deduced from this text.

I will be writing a more general essay later on the same subject so any book tips are appreciated!

Do I dare touch the 'H' Jones controversy?

9. The word "the" in the parachute regiment would indeed be capitalised if it is used as part of the the title.

Examples:

I was looking at some members of the parachute regiment.

I am a member of the 3rd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.

10. These may be useful:

"2 Para's Battle for Darwin Hill and Goose Green" ISBN 0-9660717-1-9 by David J. Kenney. Oak Square Press April 2006

"Not Mentioned in Dispatches" ISBN 0-7188-3016-4.

They should give you aidea of who was where, when, if that's allowed in your current project.

I doubt you could be harsher on Jones than FitzGibbon is in his (turgid) analysis of the battle.

11. Thanks for the replies.

With regards to the correct capitalisation, I downloaded Jones's VC citation from the London Gazette. I'll follow their lead.
    (exaclty as Inf/MP has posted)

12. BBR, according to this the First Tuesday documentary went out on 1 April 1987 (I'm assuming that we're talking about the same programme!).

13. BBB - PM me, have some stuff that might interest you for your future project and perhaps the current one.

Adjt

14. Archimedes, yes I think we are taking about the same thing.

I have found this on you tube:

You Tube: Goose Green a Soldier’s Story [online]. 22 November 2006 (seen 27 February 2007), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJu4xyEHss

I was just trying to be clever and show some insight into what they said and why. One aspect was whether the soldiers were still serving at the time of the interviews. I think Norman was.

I have written my essay, and while I am generally happy with my individual analysis of each account, it is the contrast part and the question of what we can learn from them and their context that I am unsure of.

Adj, pm inbound.

Any lecturer types want to mark it for me?

15. I think the programme in the film with Barry Norman and Chris Keeble was 1987, Norman was a sgt in Falklands so he would be a wo2 by about 87 anyway..( 5 years on).

However, I do remember seeing a falklands documentary filmed in 1996 featuring both of these men and a few more..the conflict was 14 years old by then.

Some of them were still serving then, but I bet theres only a handful left still serving and if they are the would probably be officers as it was 25 years ago.

If you get the chance, maybe go to the Airborne Forces museum in Aldershot, Browning Barracks..they may be able to help you there.