• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Falklands flag flies over No10.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Falkland Islands: Downing Street flies Falkland's flag on anniversary of end of war - Telegraph

Mr Cameron said Britain would continue to support the people of the Falklands, whose government said Tuesday it would hold a referendum on the islands' "political status" in the first half of next year.
"Our resolve to support the Falkland Islanders has not wavered in the last thirty years and it will not in the years ahead," the prime minister said.
The referendum is a bid to end the bitter territorial dispute between Britain and Argentina over the islands, which has escalated this year as the anniversary is marked.
Mr Cameron said the referendum "will establish the definitive choice of the Falkland Islanders once and for all".
"And just as we have stood up for the Falkland Islanders in the past, so we will in the future."
The islands' government said Tuesday the residents of the Falklands had no wish to be ruled by Argentina.
How embarrassing would it be if they voted to become Argies? (I know it won't happen, but....)

What are they teaching them in Argentina? That we pitched up mob handed in 17whatever, galavanted around the islands like the Waffen SS and herded thousands of Argentinean settlers in to floating cattle trucks before establishing a thousand-year British colonial reich? There's more than a few in the UK who seem to think this is what we did. There was **** all there - not even sheep - and we got there before Argentina was even invented. If anyone's got any claim, it's the French. If countries are going to get all hot and sweaty about sovereignty over islands because they just happen to be 'nearby' (250nm), then France could legitimately claim sovereignty over us and the bogtrotters. That'd never happen... would it?

What are they teaching them in Argentina? That we pitched up mob handed in 17whatever, galavanted around the islands like the Waffen SS and herded thousands of Argentinean settlers in to floating cattle trucks before establishing a thousand-year British colonial reich? There's more than a few in the UK who seem to think this is what we did. There was **** all there - not even sheep - and we got there before Argentina was even invented. If anyone's got any claim, it's the French. If countries are going to get all hot and sweaty about sovereignty over islands that just happen to be 'nearby' (250nm), then France could legitimately claim sovereignty over us. That'd never happen... would it?
No, but equally we'd have a claim over them ... and we most certainly wouldn't want that!

This whole thing is beginning to piss me off tremendously. Why don't we put in a counter claim, on behalf of the Falkland Islanders, for ownership of Argentina? And don't tell me that the islands are relatively too small to make such a claim, that is a sizeist argument.

Or, maybe the Islanders should just wait until their oil money starts coming in and then they can buy Argentina - that's if they want it. With all the political problems Argentina has had over the past 50 years the place prolly isn't worth the cash equivalent of a Lagos hand job anyway.

If anyone's got any claim, it's the French. If countries are going to get all hot and sweaty about sovereignty over islands because they just happen to be 'nearby' (250nm), then France could legitimately claim sovereignty over us and the bogtrotters. That'd never happen... would it?
The wouldn't be same French who sold Exocet to Argentina, and the operational details for the same to us, would it? the slippery bastards.

Handing back? To who? The Argentinians never had it.....well, just briefly for a couple of months, but that doesn't count.
They were temporarily squatting, even Occupy London recent efforts here put them to shame.

Never mind, a good kick up the backside sent them home with their tail between their legs...

Nelson had it right:
First, you must implicitly obey orders. Secondly, you must consider every man as your enemy who speaks ill of your King. And thirdly, you must hate a Frenchman as you do the Devil.
I do, I do. They invented the beret.

I don't mind that Nicole from the Clio ads, though. Nor that Sophie Marceau. Catharine Deneuve's (still) not bad. Bardot was a cracker. Laetitia Casta. Isabelle Adjani... So, just the blokes we hate then? Sorted. Vive la difference.

They were temporarily squatting, even Occupy London recent efforts here put them to shame.

Never mind, a good kick up the backside sent them home with their tail between their legs...
To be fair to the Argentinians we didn't send a fleet of ships, aircraft, and some very damp troops against the Occupy London campaign, although it does have certain appeal to it.

This whole thing is beginning to piss me off tremendously. Why don't we put in a counter claim, on behalf of the Falkland Islanders, for ownership of Argentina? And don't tell me that the islands are relatively too small to make such a claim, that is a sizeist argument.
Indeed. Maybe the Welsh should put a claim in. Buenos Aires could be renamed Old Bangor.

Thatcher had it right:
The Spoof : NATO hero thwarted Thatcher's attempt to nuke Buenos Aires funny satire story

The documents describe the Downing Street intervention when a punch-drunk Mrs T was 'high as a kite' following the May 2 1982 sinking of the General Belgrano.

Eyewitness records relate how the Argies' May 4th revenge sinking of the Royal Navy's HMS Sheffield in a lethal Exocet missile strike saw the PM reach for the 'big bang button' inside her special handbag.

Latest Threads