Falklands Finally Cleared of Mines

The Engineers said "If you want a minefield marker as a trophy, we will give you one... just don't steal them".

Last edited:

mad_collie

War Hero
The Engineers said "If you want a minefield marker as a trophy, we will give you... just don't steal them".
Accompanied with a little certificate to prove it wasn't stolen.

My cousin might we have been down with you then. Seem to remember the battlefield tourists were heading down south in droves at that stage, dad whilst on his recce even had a traipse around and got me the proverbial present from the Islands. Not the T shirt but a very smashed by arty fire FN rifle butt, from a walk over Mount Longdon.
If I remember correctly, it was called Ex Summer Surge, I think about a third of the corps were down there, building accommodation, repairing and extending the runway at Stanley, the whole place was classed as a Military Works Area (or something similar, it was a while ago!). At that point there was the debris of war everywhere, piles of discarded weapons and ammo, vehicles (the G Wagons were very popular), there were still wrecked Pucara's on the airfield at Goose Green, and a riddled patrol boat partially sunk on the jetty. Great tour, no real bullshit, except that related to safety (you had to have a FFD strapped to you at all times), and soft toilet paper, the first I'd seen (as in issued) since joining in 1977. Funny what you remember!

ugly

LE
Folk tend to forget that uk forces were allowed to lay temporary protective minefields at company level without recording them and lifting them was discretionary upon the situation at the time
The same rules can be applied to the enemy

Folk tend to forget that uk forces were allowed to lay temporary protective minefields at company level without recording them and lifting them was discretionary upon the situation at the time

Works a treat when they don't tell the relieving troops that mines have been laid, who then lay their own mines.

The Engineers said "If you want a minefield marker as a trophy, we will give you one... just don't steal them".
Quick thread hijack.
One of the Combat Team commanders course exercises at Warminster in 81 involved a BG withdrawal through a reserve demolition (with minefields out to the flanks). The route in to the bridge was marked with 'gucci' new shinny arrow markers which lit up at night, fantastic for the job but pointless for any thing else. We (IDB) did the withdrawing troops and peasantry, and by the time it came to last light all the markers had been looted. There was an anonymous amnesty at endex outside the Company office!

Very true, and how many of us after a 'rudimentary how to mark a minefield' could actually do it properly!
In 1967 in Aden when the Argylls retook Crater one of the routes was along a small culvert and then under a bridge, all went well until one appeared with a small Elsie AP mine. It transpired they had been put there by the previous unit, who thankfully for the Argylls had forgotten to take the safety collars off. The mines hadn't been marked on any of the maps either.

Seems that the Argentine government aren't happy that we have de-mined the Falklands and are claiming that in doing so have broken UN resolutions.

Since Cristina Fernández de Kirchner has been back in politics the FI issues seems to be on the Argentine agenda again.

Not mine clearing but, 1986 a crashed Pucara was found on West Falkland with the pilot still inside. He was given a military funeral and the plumbers wanted to check the canons to see if their were any rounds up the spout, however the breeches were heavily corroded and could not be opened, so the aircraft was disposed off with a controlled explosion.

Seems that the Argentine government aren't happy that we have de-mined the Falklands and are claiming that in doing so have broken UN resolutions.

Since Cristina Fernández de Kirchner has been back in politics the FI issues seems to be on the Argentine agenda again.

Some good comments at the bottom of that article :)

Don't landmines "Swim" as in migrate through the sand. If a mine has been picked up in the surf during a storm then is it possible for it to turn up in a previously cleared area at a later date.

Or am I a bit wide of the mark. Genuine question though.

One of the civvy contractors in post GW1 Kuwait was clearing a beach minefield, in this instance a batch of Valmara V69, a hefty 'bounding' type device full of frag, following the routine of sweeping with a mine detector and prodding the sand.

When he detected another sub surface V69 he swept back away to a safe point he could dig down, and then dug towards the mine to expose the side casing and place a demolition charge.

What he couldn't have known was the tide and shifting sands had pushed the mine into its side, with the trigger mechanism pointing at him.

His helmet, visor and armour initially saved his life, but his arms and legs were gone.

They got him into the operating theatre sharpish, but was gone the next day.

It’s a proper joke that the Argentinians criticise the UK for removing the mines but will be happy to be seen as an equal partner with the UK in a presentation and share in any limelight that may be forthcoming.

It makes you wonder if they’ve forgotten that they put the things there in the first place!

Lot’s of brave lads paid the ultimate price for Argentina’s invasion of the Falkland Islands. Many others are still living with the consequences today of having fought there.

As far as the Falkland Islands and absolutely anything concerning them goes, Kirchner and all the rest of them can do one as far as I’m concerned.

Lot’s of brave lads paid the ultimate price for Argentina’s invasion of the Falkland Islands. Many others are still living with the consequences today of having fought there.

As far as the Falkland Islands and absolutely anything concerning them goes, Kirchner and all the rest of them can do one as far as I’m concerned.

It’s a proper joke that the Argentinians criticise the UK for removing the mines but will be happy to be seen as an equal partner with the UK in a presentation and share in any limelight that may be forthcoming.

It makes you wonder if they’ve forgotten that they put the things there in the first place!

I'm so cross I've just refused to bottle of their Malbec back off the shelf in Aldi.

That was debunked a while ago, the report is available on-line:

Latest Threads