Falklands Finally Cleared of Mines

The Falklands has finally been cleared of landmines - almost 40 years after the end of the conflict that left the island littered with the deadly weapons.

The south Atlantic islands' government will officially reopen Gypsy Cove near the capital Stanley for the first time in 38 years to mark the end of the demining project on Saturday.

One lucky islander will be picked to detonate the last 20 anti-tank devices in a symbolic final bang on the beach at the end of a ceremony.

A team of over 100 deminers — mostly from Zimbabwe — have cleared thousands of the mines.

The Falklands has finally been cleared of landmines - almost 40 years after the end of the conflict that left the island littered with the deadly weapons.

The south Atlantic islands' government will officially reopen Gypsy Cove near the capital Stanley for the first time in 38 years to mark the end of the demining project on Saturday.

One lucky islander will be picked to detonate the last 20 anti-tank devices in a symbolic final bang on the beach at the end of a ceremony.

A team of over 100 deminers — mostly from Zimbabwe — have cleared thousands of the mines.

According to many this couldn't possibly be true because it's reported in the Daily Mail.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I feel sorry for the islander picked to detonate the last twenty mines - it seems a bit harsh.

Well done those from Zimbabwe, you succeeded where the Royal Engineers epically failed. You have my sincere gratitude ^_^

A good news story. Will it make the 6 o'clock news on the BBC, or does it not fit the agenda?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done those from Zimbabwe, you succeeded where the Royal Engineers epically failed. You have my sincere gratitude ^_^

African mine-finding techniques seem a bit too gung ho to me:

But they are all Royal Scots cap badge

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm shocked at how everyone is celebrating those poor miners losing their jobs - shocked, I tell you.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

DAS

War Hero
"After the symbolic detonation, the final safety fence will be opened and everyone will be invited to walk down to the beach for the first time since 1982."

All holding hands, walking slowly in a straight line along the beach.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In all seriousness, it's an epic achievement. I remember looking at the maps of mined areas back in 94, I honestly thought they would never be cleared.

mad_collie

War Hero
I'm shocked at how everyone is celebrating those poor miners losing their jobs - shocked, I tell you.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.
That's Maggie Thatcher for you.

Photographic article from the Guardian last year. Worth a look.

1605012589142.png

The Zimbabwean experts clearing landmines in the Falklands – in pictures

In all seriousness, it's an epic achievement. I remember looking at the maps of mined areas back in 94, I honestly thought they would never be cleared.
You still won't find me playing leap frog on the beach.

Latest Threads