Falklands Dissertation

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by 10055991, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm sorry to repeat a previous post, yet am going to do so.

I am looking for any Parachute Regiment Falklands veterans who may be able to help. I am currently in my final year of a History degree and as part of my dissertation I am looking to interview veterans of the conflict as of January 2012. Any questions I ask will be ratified by the interviewee beforehand.

The aim of the piece of work is to demonstrate the role of the regiment, and any input people with first-hand knowledge can provide would be fantastic.

The approach I am taking is an oral history/social account of the soldiers of the conflict. I understand fully that there have been numerous books written on the war and so I don't need help with finding this literature. If anybody is willing to talk of their experiences of the time (it doesn't even have to be centred on events on the Islands, it can be the build up or the aftermath) then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Try Pararegtom. He should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.
  3. 10055991 -
    Being American and with no experience in HM's forces and never having been to the Falklands it may be a bit odd to offer advice but I have a thought for you.

An academic who served there might be more sympathetic to interviews for a dissertation. My son attended an independent school in the UK and the current Headmaster is Clive Dytor, MC, MA(Cantab), MA(Oxon) who served as an officer in 45 Commando, Royal Marines in the Falklands where he earned the MC. I do not know if he would help but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The school is in Oxfordshire near Reading in Berks.
    The address etc is:
    The Oratory School
    Nr Reading
    South Oxfordshire
    RG8 0PJ
    Telephone: 01491 683500

No idea if this is helpful but best of luck with your research

PS Not sure how close the school is to you but when my son was there 10 years ago there we stayed when visiting at the local pub and rooms and food were decent. It was called The Highwayman.
  4. I've posted this over on the website I was telling you about as well.
  6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Try Hugh McManners, he's a member of this site & was with 148 Battery, not Para Regt, much more sneaky!!

Hugh McManners
  7. Has he finished the Para10 yet?
  8. ARRSE member Jimmy OC served down south as well. Could try him.
  9. Thank you for your replies, it is much appreciated.
  10. As I said earlier, I've got a shit load of photos, and msr has hopefully still got the Powerpoint Presentation I e-mailed to him.
  11. Hi Dale, the photos are still very much needed and if it's not too much trouble I'd love to have them from you.

I've got approx 20 interviews lined up at the moment from January, but the 'threshold' my tutor is looking for is 25 (to satisfy an oral history project), so am just trying to satisfy her numbers quota by securing what I can before end of term.

Thanks for your help on the original thread it made one hell of a difference and got me in touch with many. Hope you're enjoying retirement :)
  12. Retirement? Pfft. Not for at least another 5 months. If you want me to send you a little cheeky CD (no dog bum shots or any of me), PM me.

This is not an offer of marriage.

Hope all goes well.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hello,

Sorry to bother you all again – I’m just wondering if there are any members on here who served in the Falklands that would be willing to be interviewed, who were either 2PARA C coy, D, Sp or HQ? Also 3PARA A, B, C, D and Sp. I’ve had an amazing response thus far but mostly from 2 PARA B Coy and A coy, and 3PARA HQ.

Many thanks