Falklands Book

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by daiO, Jan 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend a book that contains details on the army's role in the Falklands conflict?

A link to a web site would also be appreciated but I’d prefer a book.

Thanks, David
  2. There's a book in the Osprey series, titled "The Falklands War: Land Forces (1)" or something. either way its by Osprey.

Other than that, Martin Middlebrooks's is a safe bet.
  3. David,
    These are fairly old (1982) but anyway:

Weapons of the Falklands Conflict by Bryan Perret
    The hardware and how it was used, plus Elint, Sigint and psy-war.

War in the Falklands by the Sunday Times of London Insight team
    Good newspaper-style maps and illustrations

Fight for the Falklands! by John Laffin
    Contains a Roll of Honour (as of 1982) for those lost in the war.

And the Osprey book cited above by Bert, which is the only one I’ve seen with an Order of Battle for both sides. There are in that series (same title) books (2) Naval Forces and (3) Air Forces, also with OBs.

There is a Max Hastings book but one of my friends or children has absconded with it and I can give no details.
  4. Quite a good and humourous version of events is " Don't cry for me Sgt maj" by Jermey hands and Walter mcGowan, both reporters who were down there with us. it is not a comprehensive version just about what they saw and heard.
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Not forgetting 'The Red & Green Life Machine' by Surg Lt Cdr Rick Jolly...
  6. Falklands commando by Hugh McManners I think,
    Battle for the Falklands,
    Green Eyed Boys,
    I think Middlebrook did two books one from each side Brit and Argie.
    Battle for the Falklands - Max Hastings

When I was out there a couple of years ago I had a book called Goose Green by Mark Adkin, it was so good that using it I managed to find the "lost" Gun position.

Good stuff!
  7. Have read quite a few but "The Green Eyed Boys" all about Goose Green and II Para has you in stitches one minute then palms sweating minutes later.
    Also "Not Mentioned In Dispatches" is worth a read.

These books have input from many different sources as opposed to just one person viewing the whole war through an IWS ( The only one that was available!!)

Also not a bad read is "I counted them all out and counted them all In"

8. One book which has the full cross section of experiences in the conflict is 'Above All, Courage' by Max Arthur and originally published in 1985 by Sidgwick & Jackson. I do believe that only this weekend, I saw a paperback reprint in my local Ottackers.

This excellent book has personal experiences from all 3 services, covering the initial invasion by the Argentines, the attacks on HMS Ardent and RFA Sir Galahad, Sea Harrier and RN/AAC helo aircrew, and all the major land battles (Darwin/Goose Green, Mt Longdon, Mt Harriet, Two Sisters and Tumbledown).

I would also concur that Rick Jolly's 'The Red and Green Life Machine' is another excellent read.

9. Thanks guys. I did look on Amazon for books on the topic but it returned over 300 matches!
  10. I have the Max Hastings book here:

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins.

It's part of the Pan Grand Strategy series now and was last revised in 1997, I found it in a Hay-on-Wye remainders shop for £4/£5.
    ISBN 0-330-35284-9

Quite detailed with a comprehensive chronology, appendix of ships/units committed and and Honours list. The main body of the book focuses on the battles without becoming bogged down in minutiae and gives a carefull explanation of the political overview at the same time.
  11. Mates and Muchachos: Unit Cohesion in the Falklands/Malvinas War
    by Nora Kinzer Stewert is a fantastic read and shows up the differences between the two opposing forces wonderfully.
  12. Falklands Islanders at war by Graham Bound (pen and sword publications)

Notable for story of the FIDF man and the copper who roamed the hills above Stanley for weeks gathering Intel before the main force arrived, using stores and weapons "left" at various farms by NP8901 in the years before the invasion.

Is this evidence of undisclosed "Stay Behind" plans for FIDF and might it explain why they were kept out of the main part of the the battle of Port Stanley for fear of being wiped out before they could put that plan into effect?

13. Nine Battles to Stanley by Nicholas van der Bijl (Leo Cooper pub.) was excellent. The author was Int Corps and was on Julian Thompson's staff in 3 Cdo Bde in the conflict. His views and descriptions of the battles are given from this perspective, which also mean he is able to give more detail from the Argentine side - something which is neglected in most books about the war.
  14. A Soldiers Song by Ken Lukowaik is a brilliant read
  15. A Soldiers Song by Ken Lukowaik is a brilliant read