Falklands anniversary

Sat at my desk, I was handed a message to deal with 'FLASH', i wass the first person in England to read of the event, overtime became normal.

I was in BAOR. My former battalion were down there though. Just before I left them I had been a patrol commander in South Armagh with them. I picked up a Soldier magazine in the NAAFI in Hildesheim to check on their progress and found that two of “my” guys had been killed on Mount Longden.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Did we have a padre there too?
42 Commando's padre (Albert) had several water bottles on his webbing that contained various spirits. He was always invited over to your trench / shellscrape for a wet which he added to from his belt.
All round good egg who had to shave his full set off on the way down...
RN Padres dont have a rank, although always called Sir and treated with respect.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
1623919726703.png

I have nothing to add to the above photo.

Damned if I know why I have not seen this one before.

I spent a morning in Browning Bks Guardroom as a sprog for not saluting Chris Keeble and a few others ( long khaki raincoats with no rank shown )

Les Riley was a Cpl Trg NCO when I went through Depot in 1975 and was a quietly spoken Yorkie instantly worthy of respect bloke.

Anyway - this is a good bit of Op Corporate stuff if you have'nt seen it

lecky

War Hero
I worked with the lad rear left on the Stretcher, bearing the guy with his lower leg blown off. He was our Civi Storeman at RAF St Athan, 2 Sqn hanger.
I was chatting to him about my posting down there, when he told me he'd been down there in the War and I might have seen him on the telly. I must admit, I checked the footage after he told me to see if it was him.

Ordinary lads, doing extraordinary feats, before disappearing back into the ordinary.

Latest Threads