Falklands anniversary

receiver back ends and 220 acres of rhombics were in a big field in Somerton, Somerset.
I remember building rhombics big ones ! And 8 wire cage ...and sloping Vs ...ramble .... rambling...
Back in the day... . Sorry thread drift .

Yokel

LE
I was below primary school age. I remember my ex matelot father being less than happy.

Sticky847

Old-Salt
I was at school aged 13, however my dad was on H.M.S Sheffield which at that time was at GIB on the way back from a 6 month ARMILLA patrol, I don’t think I understood the obvious seriousness until we heard she was hit on the 9 o’clock news, it took less than 12 hrs to find out dad was safe and he was home by early June, he was one of those that jumped across decks to HMS Arrow. My first falklands trip in 1991 was aboard HMS Arrow. I did think there was a bit of symmetry.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I was doing my finals at university. Watched it on the TV I had in my room [TV license? errr....]

Had a couple of school mates who were Army. As far as I know they both made it home in one piece.

We lost a lot of good ships and a lot of good lads, RIP.

A couple of years later I was working near Greenham Common. Twats, the lot of them.

ETA, RIP to the Argentine squaddies too who were just carrying out their orders.

Due to working the Wednesday sportsday, I got given Friday off.
Phone went and future fatherinlaw answered....
"There's some prick on the phone for you" (it was the adjutant,who'd ordered him to get me---- he thought it was a Booty who'd answered--- FIL an ex Booty)
Cancel Easter leave and wedding!

Came back after14 weeks with 2 Argie kitbags full plus over 1000 Argie/Yank type fags.
All I've got left from Yank helmet/clothing/webbing etc is 2 bayonets and some small pendant flags, Oh and the kitbags.
When I finished the fags I opened up a cellophane wrapped box which had "Virginia" and "Te" on it--- I presumed it was rolling tobacco--- It was Tea bags.:-D

I was in civvy St. by then but still in the reserves but not needed

Still got mine. Dad went down on a recce shortly after endex and brought back a leather Argie pouch and a well smashed up folding butt with shrapnel marks over it - I wanted a tin bin and goggles.

I've got an Argie helmet from Goose Green, the optic sight from an M-20 bazooka, a set of Argentine air force plastic boarding passes (still in use at home as beer mats), a set of Argie combats nicked from the Air Force office (which served me well for paintball games for a few years) in Port Stanley and a leather ammunition pouch...

The helmet will most probably be used in the back garden as a hanging planter for some of the wife's flowers...

:)

I've got an Argie helmet from Goose Green, the optic sight from an M-20 bazooka, a set of Argentine air force plastic boarding passes (still in use at home as beer mats), a set of Argie combats nicked from the Air Force office (which served me well for paintball games for a few years) in Port Stanley and a leather ammunition pouch...

The helmet will most probably be used in the back garden as a hanging planter for some of the wife's flowers...

All the stuff I wanted, well done you. Did see a Welsh Guards WO2 on the ranges shortly after they got back with some interesting optic sight he was testing the ranges.
Forgot to include Dad looted a menu from the Upland Goose, it had both Spanish and English on the meal options.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
39 Years ago today, it was over.

Gods I'm old.

My congratulations to the Shah's Men.

llech

LE
Apologies for slight thread drift but did many actually blag their way onto the task force, what I mean is I know an Irish Guard who was with the Scots Guards.

Morning All,
Got sent this yesterday but only saw it today.
IMG-20210614-WA0009.jpg

RIP to everyone down South in '82.

I blagged an Argie helmet, pair of goggles, pair of pants, mess kit with diggers, leather ammo pouches, bayonet (made to slot over the flash eliminator like the SA80), a chunk of skin from a Puchara tail with the Argie flag on it, two Argie ration packs, and a nice 1911 .45 that unfortunately ended up deep sixed. Unfortunately I did not find any gold teeth or fillings.

I blagged an Argie helmet, pair of goggles, pair of pants, mess kit with diggers, leather ammo pouches, bayonet (made to slot over the flash eliminator like the SA80), a chunk of skin from a Puchara tail with the Argie flag on it, two Argie ration packs, and a nice 1911 .45 that unfortunately ended up deep sixed. Unfortunately I did not find any gold teeth or fillings.
Yes knew a few who got caught out with the side arms. Dad did much the same coming back from Cyprus and had to drop a Walther P38 over the side, highly likely half inched from one of the Eoka chaps detained in Trodos - the old man was IO at the time.

Yes knew a few who got caught out with the side arms. Dad did much the same coming back from Cyprus and had to drop a Walther P38 over the side, highly likely half inched from one of the Eoka chaps detained in Trodos - the old man was IO at the time.
A large amount of weaponry was thrown over the side just outside Ascension island, including a FN MAG machine gun which a bootie had strippede down and stashed away in his kitbag.

A large amount of weaponry was thrown over the side just outside Ascension island, including a FN MAG machine gun which a bootie had stripped down and stashed away in his kitbag.
You have to ask yourself what on earth he was planning to keep it for ?
Shooting squirrels in the garden ?
Bloody hard to shift at a car boot sale ..( Did we even have car boot sales in 1982 ? )

You have to ask yourself what on earth he was planning to keep it for ?
Shooting squirrels in the garden ?
Bloody hard to shift at a car boot sale ..( Did we even have car boot sales in 1982 ? )

Who wouldn't want their own GPMG?

I saw a decommisioned 81mm mortar (complete to CES) in a militaria shop in Nottingham in the mid 1990s. I thought it would make a great conversation piece in the conservatory. A bargain at £300.00, and a LOT cheaper than the French 2nd Empire Imperial Guard Carabinier cuirass that was on display at £900.00.

My wife did not agree... :-(

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Who wouldn't want their own GPMG?
Indeed. Ideal for all sorts of home improvement uses, RTA resolutions, and impromptu firework displays...

Latest Threads