Falklands again

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jezzerc, Dec 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read this morning that the new Argentine president was doing the usual posturing over the Falklands and how they must be handed back etc, according to the UN Articles etc.

I believe the Argentine financial situation isn't that good, but what possibility is there that they could mobilise a force to march in, or attempt to, what do you think HMG/MoD would do? Also you in the Military, what would your reaction be.

I'm not in the Forces although some of my family are, but it got me thinking. On the one hand I would be as angry as most if the Argentinians took it a stage further but wonder what Brown & Browne would do.

2. Thinking of headlines?
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Gordon Brown will legitamise the claim of the Argies by saying that it was just another imperial aggression on our part to take the islands in the first place, and if we hadn't done so, then slavery wouldn't have happened in the 16th century in Africa. He will also tell us that we should hang our heads in shame AND apologise most profusely for our acts of aggression, before inviting Galtieri to become a member of Parliament, along with his gay cousin.
  4. We'd crank up the South Atlantic aircraft carrier factory and churn out duplicate HMS Invicible's...

I suggest you have a search for the other threads on this subject. In theory there are adequate UK forces on the island to defend them.
  5. Biped's suggestion would be the only option as we no longer have the forces (especially the navy) to re-take the islands if we lost them. having said that, I would think the argies would find it very difficult to take the islands as the defences are much better than they were in '82. If they did take them, the most we could do, is throw a few tlams at them and then run crying to the US for help.

the one good thing to come out of that, would be the end of new labour.

I should mention, for our journalist chum, that i am a lowlife civvie!

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Brown would 'privatise' them and Virgin would outbid the Argies. West Falkland would not be included since we could never give up the underground silo complex. Besides, if we lost that where the hell would we relocate the Lizard Battalion Training Facility? The experimental Death Ray installation would have to remain British but Virgin are welcome to…

Shit. Is this thing on?
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

If he wants to retake the Islands let them come
    If the forces staitioned on the Islands can't defend them and get overrun we don't deserve to have them
    If he wants thousands of body bags sent back to Argentina then so be it
    Maybe someone should sit him down and pop the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Renaldo on the tv so he can see the outcome of his task force
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Erm its a her now, come on keep up. :twisted:
  9. Don't listen to Ord Sgt unless he's dispensing pearls of wisdom on drinking too many yellow handbags and closing hostile Sqn bars.
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ahh deaks is back. Kiddie fiddling season over down your way then?
  11. Not yet, fella. Just taking a breather. Unlike you, Senor, I can pace myself and didn't fill my quota in the first weekend.

How's it hanging, mate? I've been on radio silence for a year or so due to working away and the company firewalls.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yeah thought you'd not been around for a while. Welcome back. Hows the second book coming?

You've not missed very much around here, except the massed influx in the last few months of a bunch of walting trolls, but hey everyone wants to be my mate. :D
  13. Military assets aside, the Argies would be fcking mad to take us on again.

Nearly everyone in the military has completed some sort of combat tour…

….and all our infantry are probably at the wrong end of the Psychopathy Checklist
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Good point MTS, The British and US armies have to be pretty much the most experienced war fighting troops on the planet right now and they were good to begin with. You'd have to be a nutter to risk taking them on.
  15. The argies would be mad to take the islands again because of one fantastic weapon system that we have.

Pop a sub 200 miles off the coast of Buenos Aires and watch the Argies get off the islands quicker than a quick thing.

Thats pretty quick.