Falklands 82 Tab info required

Me and a couple of the lads are planning a trek. We're attempting to recreate the tab/yomp across East Falkland.

This is very much at the planning research/stage. Currently we don't know how far we want to take the recreation with regards to kit, but what we do want to get right is the distances travelled and the weight of kit carried.

I've looked through several of my own books and on the internet, but I've not been able to find much specific on the weight of kits carried. I'm also after as much detail as possible of the distances travelled and time taken to complete various sections of the march. If anyone knows where I could a good scale map detailing the marches this would be great.

Also, we'll be doing this in the UK. Has anyone got any ideas on where would best match the Falklands terrain.

Any info or tips regards this will be much appreciated.

Cheers Glenn

Is this for raising money or just a reenactment?

If for charity, plot a similar terrain route with mapmyrun or similar and do it in Wales, getting to the falklands is expensive.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
glenngarth said:
Me and a couple of the lads are planning a trek. We're attempting to recreate the tab/yomp across East Falkland.

This is very much at the planning research/stage. Currently we don't know how far we want to take the recreation with regards to kit, but what we do want to get right is the distances travelled and the weight of kit carried.

I've looked through several of my own books and on the internet, but I've not been able to find much specific on the weight of kits carried. I'm also after as much detail as possible of the distances travelled and time taken to complete various sections of the march. If anyone knows where I could a good scale map detailing the marches this would be great.

Also, we'll be doing this in the UK. Has anyone got any ideas on where would best match the Falklands terrain.

Any info or tips regards this will be much appreciated.

Cheers Glenn
IIRC Paras tabbed in fighting order and left their large packs for a move forward later
RM yomped with everything including large packs

Vincent Bramley's Excursion to Hell details the tab 3 Para did quite well

Try Dartmoor, and Pararegtom would be the best to ask

impossible to recreate, you need the terrible weather and urgency, plus the not knowing when it was going to end, just head down arse up,
and also what was going to happen at the end, March or Die,,, :D we 3 para took fighting order just lots and lots of ammo no sleeping bags, we were told you will get them at Teal Inlet, when got to teal, we got them for one night, then set off in the morning for Estancia, where we caught up with the sleeping bags :D
as i say even if you did the same route in the same weather, you need the urgency of war, and then the night battles.

263A

War Hero
jimmyoc said:
impossible to recreate, you need the terrible weather and urgency, plus the not knowing when it was going to end, just head down arse up,
and also what was going to happen at the end, March or Die,,, :D we 3 para took fighting order just lots and lots of ammo no sleeping bags, we were told you will get them at Teal Inlet, when got to teal, we got them for one night, then set off in the morning for Estancia, where we caught up with the sleeping bags :D
as i say even if you did the same route in the same weather, you need the urgency of war, and then the night battles.
First 6 in get's the egg banjo's buckshe :lol:

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Kit Average weight 140lbs, plus wet clothing shi te boots terrible weather and rough ground, 90% of it uphill.

Most of the weight was ammo/mortars,s battery,s.

very difficult to re- enact,

good luck

Caithness and parts of Sutherland are fair approximations of the weather and landscape.

Good luck with it, and don't wear those god awful boots they gave us :)

I still have a pair of DMS boots knocking about and a hairy mary too if you really want to create the comfort level of isue kit? :roll:

Abergavenny to Llandielo over the top would be about the right sort of terrain as Wikham heights, I have walked from Mt Pleasent to San Carlos and it was in the summer with minimum kit and it was a barsteward

Fallschirmjager said:
the_boy_syrup said:
IIRC Paras tabbed in fighting order and left their large packs for a move forward later
Fucking large packs???? 8O
58 pattern webbing

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Poacher said:
I still have a pair of DMS boots knocking about and a hairy mary too if you really want to create the comfort level of isue kit? :roll:

Hairy Mary, have not heard that expression for years!!!

Whilst the Scots Guards were issued with Black's Rucksacks and made to cam them with spray paints. Good luck if you do try it, I still admire the Maroon and Green Machines to this day for attempting that. I struggled getting my arse onto HMS Intrepid for the journey round :oops: .

Thanks for everyone who outlined places in the UK that are similar, I now have a good list of places to avoid. :lol: :lol:

TBH, you'll struggle to recreate the weight, and you'd be foolish to head into the hills wearing the shite kit they had in 82.
But for a venue, try Cape Wrath. Forget about the ferry from Durness, walk up from Kinlochbervie instead, and knock out a circuit in 36hrs.
You'll love it.